Bard songs and Extended Ingenuity

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Feradach, May 6, 2013.

1. Feradach Augur

OK. So I've got the Extended Ingenuity line of AAs maxed, and song durations are doubled as expected...except for the Aria line. For some reason, songs in that line never seem to have a duration longer than 3 tics (50% duration increase as opposed to 100%). Is there a known reason for this? If not, is it worth a bug report? Any insight from the veteran bards would be very welcome. Thanks.
  2. Elraent Cirdan New Member

Extended ingenuity doesn't affect bard songs. Only self buffs from equipment.
  3. Falos Augur

You will need to buy the activated aa "a tune stuck in your head" if you want to extend the duration of your songs. With max aa's it has an 8 min 20 sec (give or take a tick) duration and a 15 min re-use timer. so you can keep songs extended (and play an additional 2 songs in your melody for a little over half the time)
    WarRepubEagle likes this.
  4. Beezelbub Elder

what aa's or gear extends Tune stuck in your head?
  5. Falos Augur

I believe max extended ingenuity + a tune stuck in your head + rank 3/3 hastened tune in your head + rank 3/3 hastened tune stuck in your head (both hastened lines do exactly the same thing and they stack with each other but their hastened lines have slightly different names. I'm guessing it was an oversight that the ranks were not combined but yeah there are 6 total ranks of aa's to hasten the re-use timer on a tune stuck in your head.
  6. Feradach Augur

Have to respectfully disagree with you there, as would pretty much most of the rest of the Bard community.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  7. Jitar Elder

I only got the first level and I can sing a six song melody and the first song barely wears off when the sequence restarts.
  8. Corak Elder

9. Jitar Elder

Definitely worked for me. Was noticeably longer with just level 1/4.
  10. Corak Elder

I just tested this on my 98 Bard. I used a 6 song melody of all 12s nominal duration songs, with no Tune in Your Head running. Before any extended ingenuity, there would be between 3 and 6 songs up at any given time, depending on durations. I never noticed before, but there seems to be some randomness to bard song durations, being a minimum of 12sec and maximum of 17sec, based on the displayed remaining time on the buff icon when it first lands. Maybe this has to do with when the buff lands relative to the tic clock, i.e., getting a phantom tic.

Anyway, after buying Extended Ingenuity 1, the same 6 song melody would keep up all 6 songs almost continuously, only occasionally dropping to 5. The max displayed duration was sometimes, but rarely, as high as 22 sec. When I bought Extended Ingenuity 2, I did not notice any further improvement.

I am now sold on the proposition that Extended Ingenuity 1 is one of the most important Bard AAs to buy, at least so long as it works this way.
  11. Feradach Augur

So now that that's settled, back to my original question. Any idea why the Aria line isn't extended as long as all other songs?
  12. KOStradivarius New Member

Sorry that I'm 10 years late to this discussion...

I replicated Corak's test (in 2023) where I ran a melody with 7 beneficial 12-second songs. Before buying EI the songs were 12 to 17 seconds (my thinking is that it picks a value that will make it trigger 3 times--once at 12, again at 6, and finally at 0). After buying the first rank of EI the songs lasted 1 tick longer (so 18 to 23 seconds). Correspondingly (and obviously) more songs stacked at any given time after I purchased the first rank of EI.

I didn't try to purchase EI rank 2 because I'm F2P and thus on a limited AA budget. My theory why only the first rank makes a difference is because it reads that it increases duration by 5% and I believe that they key is that it rounds up. So your EI rank 1 being 5% results in a 1 tick increase, and rank 2 being 10% (or whatever) still rounds up to just increasing the songs by 1 tick. It will take a lot more EI to round up to 2 ticks. Anyway, just my theory.