Bard DoTs need to have a mana cost, imo

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Niloiv, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Cloud the Third Augur

The thing is all targeted AEs back in the early days only hit a max of 4 targets. Denon's has always been a type targeted AE just like the nukes the druids used to quad kite with. My guess is at some point this restriction of all targeted AEs having a max of 4 targets without having it in the spell data got broken and lead to them adding a maxtargets value to all the AE spells.

Druids always had PB AE just like bards that hit unlimited targets but those always required standing in melee range.
  2. Sengir New Member

If by early days you mean vanilla or kunark then it depends. At first, some targeted lines were capped but others were not, the wizards Al'kabor spell line was unlimited targets at first, but at some point (I don't remember when) they changed it to 5? max. That's why the Al'Kabor spell line is considered useless, because the mana cost only made sense when it was not capped.

DDD was also not capped at first, as a bard could only cast it like twice before going oom. I remember bard kiting in PoN but I remember bards used the PBAOE songs and doing oval and 8 shape pathings, i think?. I could be wrong about the technique, but I remember something like that.

Anyway, it was a long time ago, I could easily be wrong.
  3. Niloiv Elder

I think I may not have explained myself properly (as it seems like everyone jumped on my jab at the focus qualification). Let me say it this way (although im sure most will keep their original feeling):
    I wouldnt mind the trade off of adding a mana cost to DoTs, IF that meant that DoTs become more interesting. I'm guessing the Devs may feel a bit blocked by the fact that its a "free" song (although I would argue that it's cost is a slot in our twisting lineup).

Now that being said, we do currently have a huge resource management component that used to be "practically a non-issue." So, the trade off would have to be worth it, and that is what I am hoping for by this thread. What if there was an AA section (say 4 AAs and only 1 could be toggled on at one time, and that AA would add the mana component to the base DoT) that would add something to the DoT. IDK like change the debuff of the DoT from a resist of the element to make other players' spells of the same element have an increase crit chance - as an example.

Also, I am glad that our DoTs got a little beefier. Maybe the fact that I had to actually play around with them to check my lineup made me think: what if the devs charged me mana AND it gained an interesting adps component, would I it be fun? Would it be worth it? Wonder what others would think?

Anyway, thanks for the discussion. It was fun seeing everyone's thoughts and comments.
  4. Jhinx Whimsical Chinchilla

Bard DoTs are in a good place right now.

I would be petrified to even mention DoTs around the Devs, in case it was accidental and instead of getting a boon they nerf our DoTs back to the stone age.
    Funky and code-zero like this.
  5. Niloiv Elder

This made me smile :)
    But that can happen either way. I would rather be proactive than reactive.
  6. Cuuthbert Augur

Uh NO bad idea not even going to go into all the reasons this his HORRIBLE. Also were you not just posting how bards need a better mana regen
  7. bortage spammin lifetaps

bard dots have basically the same drawbacks as any other classes' dots while taking twice the debuff slots, no thanks
  8. svann Augur

A dev posted that the intent was to make them useful in group content.
  9. Blastoff Augur

The resist debuff on bard dot's is the strongest in the game after instrument mods.
  10. Niloiv Elder

Both posts were just for discussion. Think more brainstorm session.
    And I wish you had gone into some of the reasons you think this is horrible.
  11. Jennre Band Leader

I think its horrible because there are reasons we have accepted no mana regen by conventional means. There are definite benefits to keeping it the way it is.

We finally got personal dps to be more in-line with what we need to simply play, why mess with it more?
    Cuuthbert and Niloiv like this.