Back again

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Quasimojo, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Quasimojo Elder

Some background: I've played EQ off and on since 2001. I've always been behind the curve where leveling is concerned, because I play a lot of alts (I enjoy most of the classes) and I spend a lot of time on trade skills and questing. I guess I'm an "enjoy the journey" type of player. As such I've never really even gotten close to end-game. My highest level character is about a 74 paladin on Luclin as of 2-years ago or so. Don't get me wrong, though. I do very much enjoy raiding. My play style just doesn't put me in a position to do so that often, as I always feel like I'm playing catch up.

I very much enjoyed the earlier days of EQ, when that fairly common drop piece of gear, or that next level of spells made a real difference, giving me something to play for at each level. As such I've been checking out the TLP servers, starting with Phinny. The leveling is *extremely* slow - which wouldn't bother me so bad, except we're a month away from Velious, and another new expansion every 12-weeks thereafter. I just see the server population moving one without me, just like on the regular servers.

So I'm considering Ragefire, which is on a 6-month expansion release schedule, as I understand it. Unfortunately people report that it's a very low population server, seemingly comprised by half of multi-boxed characters.

Any advice out there for a slow leveling player on TLP servers? Is there any good reason to play on Ragefire rather than Phinny at this point?

Thanks.
  2. Rovell Elder

Pick Ragefire if...
    1. You only want/strive for open world competition for raid targets;
    2. You want the ability to easily box multiple accounts;
    3. You want faster leveling;
    4. You want slower expansion unlocks (6 months + vote).

Choose Phinigel if...
    1. You want access to every raid targets each week;
    2. You don't want to compete with massive box crews for content;
    3. You don't mind slower leveling;
    4. You want faster expansion unlocks (84 days);
    5. You want the highest population TLP server.
  3. CaptainSkeet Augur

I just started on Phinny, in somewhat similar situation as you. I will be on tomorrow, if you are looking for some like minded amigos. I ultimately went for Phinny for the higher population. I like boxing and all but to truly get the old eq feel I went back to my group reliant roots haha. Send a /tell to Skeetari if you are on
  4. Mageforlife Journeyman

You should pick Phinigel lots of people at all levels to group with. Its the hot server right now with the most going for it. Dont let the slow xp and the fast unlocks deter you, it isnt as bad as it sounds. Velious is unlocking in a month or so but the level cap remains the same for a couple more expansions at least giving you 24 or more weeks to catch everyone else at at level 60
  5. Quasimojo Elder

Well, I tried RF for a while last night. The xp is noticeably quicker, but I don't think it's enough so to not go with the better population on Phinny.

I'm just starting out (think I'm up to level 3), but I may well be sending you a tell, Skeet. Thanks. :)
  6. CaptainSkeet Augur

I just started a box shammy as well, currently level 7 after a bit of assistance from a druid and my SK. If you end up being close to his level we can group up too.
  7. Weverley Augur

Just to give you an idea to help you with your leveling ask a mage or a druid for a damage shield and when mobs hit you they get damage.I find that helps quite a bit at low level.
  8. CaptainSkeet Augur

Just make sure you do at least 1 dmg to every mob or they kill themselves on you and you get no XP. Druid regen and DS for the win though.