Back after years

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ex0d, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Ex0d New Member

Started back after being away from the game for 10+years. Question is are necs still the best soloing class? Newbie zones appear a bit barren. Any suggestions on a server with a decent population on it? Tried it out for free tonight just to get back into it and it is a surprise on how much I remember about playing. So I will be going the subscription route now and just wanted to get opinions on where to start.
  2. gambitak New Member

This is not the game you remember, that's for sure. I've been back for awhile after a long absence and it's like learning all over again.

Like I JUST learned you can do auto on your special attacks. Now, you don't even have to pay attention to the fight, apparently. They have multiple ranks to spells... why they didn't just scale the spells, i have no idea and I still haven't figured out heroic stats.
  3. Mokumara Elder

Hey Ex0d!
    I'm relatively new to coming back. I've come and gone a few times over the years. The game like Gambitak said is far from what it was 10 years ago.

What server are you playing on?? Some are more dead than other. I just restarted on Xegony server because its a bit more populated from where I was prior

Are you planning on making a Necro your main? I haven't played one on live but I heard they are very strong and their pet is comparable to Mage pet in strength; as in being able to tank fairly well.

I would suggest getting started is to do the tutorial in the Mines of Gloomingdeep. This will give you a little bit of the basics; possibly some stuff you have forgotten. This will generally get you to level 9 or 10.

Once you are out of there. I would talk with Franklin Teek in Plane of Knowledge. He is located outside of the Guild Lobby. He will give you a dailey quest. The quests go in intervals of 5. So if you are lvl 20 you could do lv 15 quest, lvl 20 quest, and possibly lvl 25 quest. The quest will be in a hot zone. Sometimes you can find other quests in that zone to help you level.

As for gear and stuff. There is a set of "catch up" armor called Defiant Gear. These start at lvl 10 and you can get a new set something like every 10 levels. Its better than pretty much any drops you would get off names ect. The Defiant Gear can drop off any mobs and goes to lvl 90 (I believe).

I don't know a lot of expert advice for high lvl stuff. I will tell you though when you get to around lvl 80-90 make sure you use your Auto-Grant AA inside your AA tab. You need to have an active account but it is another catch up mechanic so you get all your basic AA's up to the level you are. I think you can Auto-Grant all the way to level 90. By that time it will be about 20k AA's or so. Obviously this will help you out IMMENSLY. I had an SK at lvl 86 go from like 500 AA's to like 18k and I went from pansy to leaving a bloody wake wherever I went lol.

Also if its an old account that you used to play on make sure you do /claim for veteran rewards.

If you have any questions feel free to ping me!
    Spirithief and forbes77 like this.
  4. forbes77 Elder

need to update some of mokumara info, daily tasks start at lvl 20 think u can request this at lvl 15, /claim is seperate from veteran rewards /veteran will give you vet rewards. auto grant AA's u can start claiming at lvl 51 but will req full membership todo this. if you type /achievement a window will open look for heroes journey tab, this is a good way to get gear and progress.
    Mokumara likes this.
  5. forbes77 Elder

6. Ex0d New Member

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will read up on everything. I plan on a Nec main but loved the enchanter and SK when I played before too. It just hit me I played from 01 to 05 in that range so it's been 20 years since I have played EQ. I migrated to WOW but it's way to simple to play now. Plus the people playing WOW now are pretty much a-holes .
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Welcome back.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

All newbie zones are going to be pretty empty. Maybe TLP will be different, I haven't played one, but pretty much all servers cluster near their level cap.

All classes can solo. I never remember necros to be the best solo class out of their ability to kite. These days with cleric mercs SKs are one of the best molo (solo with a merc). Any class that can tank well however can do very well. Certain classes have advantages starting at certain levels. SK for example can FD much sooner than Beastlords, and can use snare to help split a pull. Pallies can paci. Warriors have an easier time tanking multiples. ENC can charm and etc. Class that can't tank, such as clerics, struggle more because of the disparity in the quality between cleric mercs and tank/rogue mercs.

Also the game is free to play now, so in the early levels you can play, or more importantly box, for free. TLP is not free.

The autoskill is going to only affect repetitive abilities. Kicking every few seconds didn't really add much to the game. Now the game takes fewer mundane actions but there is still plenty of actions to take. More of the time is spent using AA abilities and discs than back in the day before AA existed. Now we have multiple abilities lines on different refreshes.

Heroic stats are just the new version of stats. Stats got out of control and had to be capped. Heroic stats are a control measure that allows gear to provide a meaningful benefit, but restart the stat system without completely revamping the game. About the time heroics show up, you are capped on your stats and the white stats no longer matter. Only the yellow stats do. It's the consequence of a game being around longer than anyone probably had foreseen it to so a modification of the system was needed.
  9. gambitak New Member

As a Berserker, the autoskill makes the class downright boring, at level 65, at least. I literally have nothing to do after hitting auto-attack. There is ONE button to push for a 'Zerker for DPS, from 1-66; well, every 20-30 minutes, there are discs that don't do much yet, but, I'm not above 66, so they may magically change at 67

My monk is 65 and I have 2 buttons to push, the rest are on the same timers; so, with autoskill, I have NO buttons to push, after hitting 'Q' for autoattack
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This simplicity does not continue on Berserkers or Monks...at all. You may as well open 10 hotbars now, because it's a complex game of whack a mole at end game.
  11. gambitak New Member

I've been at 65 for months, just got my first real group since August of last year last night to get 66, end game seems like a long way away
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Don't worry you will have so many buttons to hit by 100 as a Berserker you will be making hotkeys to use several per hot button & still have a full hot bar of stuff to click as you fight & that's without chaining multiple discs together.
  13. Spirithief Journeyman

What server did you end up on?
  14. Raptorjesus5 Augur

This game before The Serpents Spine expansion (level 70 or so) is almost a completely different game. In the 90's is where most classes have their entire modern toolset. So until then you really can't judge a class all that much.

The good news is with auto grant, defiant and mercs is you can fly through the early levels to catch up.