Autofollow Orbit since new UI launch

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Imukai, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Imukai Augur

Since the new UI launch several of my boxes have gone from smooth FPS to what I would call "a slideshow" of like 10 FPS that causes them to go into a wide orbit while auto-following my main toon. This of course causes problems in zones where that wide orbit can take them into additional critters.

I run a custom UI. (well there's your problem..)

If I set them to default UI they seem to go back to normal.

So my question for the masses -- has anyone yet identified what types of things in a custom UI might degrade performance under the new architecture? Only thing I can think of is maybe the compass since it has to update every frame of a turning character?
    Hegsheoshed likes this.
  2. Hegsheoshed Augur

It's making me feel fatter than I am and that fatness is transferring to the central pc character. /Follow in EQ is fat shaming me. I did a DirectX web update and things seem better. I'll have to put more load on the boxes later. By sitting on the in all my fatness glory and seeing if the right and left hand toons go into orbit. The best is when one is going widdershins and the other is deosil.
  3. Imukai Augur

Well to continue my anecdotal story.. I don't think it is a custom UI problem (necessarily). I now think it's some sort of memory leak.

I say this because my first remedy was slapping a VPN on each box thinking maybe there was some new network overload chatter between clients on the same network segment. And after doing the VPN thing everything was working fine.

But since then, orbits started happening again on some systems if I left the client running for days at a time. If I camped to desktop then reloaded, all was fine again.

I realized then that when I had enacted the VPN, I had to restart the clients too -- so just the act of restarting the client is probably the root cause of restoring semi-sorta following instead of wide orbit following.

So yeh I think now I'm thinking it's a memory leak in the client, but I haven't bothered to investigate it any further than that. I just restart the affected clients daily before I do anything with them.
  4. Hegsheoshed Augur

I was hoping this last patch would fix this. Restarting the client fixes it but after a day or so everything gets all jerky as far as the frame rate goes and right clicking to inspect things will either cause an inadvertent consumption of an item or briefly show the item inspection screen.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

AF has always been janky.

The slightest hiccup in client I/O or graphics lag can send the follower into orbit. Not to say this latest patch hasn't worsened the problem, either. Just saying - AF sucks and they have zero interest in improving it.

My advice? Learn to strafe with the lead toon. Strafing from the leader, for whatever reason, makes the followers immune to lag in any form.