Auto-Granting AAs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evil.Iguana, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Evil.Iguana Elder

This was something that was discussed a year or two back that never seemed to happen. I think it is pretty much inarguable that the amount of time needed to take a character from level one to 100 and get him or her to max AAs is unreasonably long. The AA system has morphed dramatically from its original intention as something that would occupy max level players and grant them a moderate advantage for their time investment.

Given that, I think it is high time that a change be made. We know that EQ can auto-grant AAs upon reaching a level. We also see that every AA has the expansion it was released in listed next to it in the AA window. The logical solution, from my perspective, is to just automatically grant every AA upon reaching the required level up to whatever expansion is deemed suitable. I think Seeds of Destruction would be a good cutoff point.

Doing this would drastically improve the state of the game at lower levels while still leaving players with several thousand AA points to acquire as they reach the end game. It would also somewhat mitigate the massive difference in AA requirements between classes.
    Phyros likes this.
  2. Tachyon Augur

I'd probably just adjust the curve a bit. It's incredibly quick to get the first few hundred AAs. The later ones are the tough ones which auto-granting would not really address. If they changed it so the 10+ AA per hour rate stretched for longer that would be fine.

Also, max-AAs from each expansion is not necessary. I'd say somewhere around 50% covers all the ones that really matter for most classes.
    Phyros likes this.
  3. Sinestra Augur

It was decided that certain AA lines would be auto-granted. What those would be were not decided on publicly other than they would only be those AAs that are required to function in your role so no fluff. Elidroth said there were certain things he would not be willing to grant. Last we heard however it was waiting on coding which is backed up all the time and it was very low on the priority list.
  4. Tweelis Augur

Given how fast aa's come when the aa bonus curve is taken into account how can you think it's necessary. to autogrant aa's? My level 56 cleric (plus merc) are currently gaining aa's about as fast as I can spend them in howling stones?

Your post makes it sound like you just want an "I Win" button. Enjoy the ride to the destination.
  5. Sinestra Augur

Well Elidroth said that besides the current bonus, he was still planning on auto-granting so the point is moot.
  6. Brael Elder

What ever happen to Evergrind? Now it as become Evergive. Next you will be asking for auto systems that allows you to go Afk and game script and plays for you.AA system is there for that Reason to be a Grind.To improve your character from its base level they hand you when you make it.If you want to Crit more from the base level guess what theres AA for that.If you want to live longer in fights or heal better from base level there is AA for that.Somewhere along the lines you have to do some work.Leveling 0 to 100 can now days take 2 weeks even less if push for it.There is already enough Auto granting with AA with missions Task rewards and Now the Collection system that base copy from RIFT.
    5 AA from one task 2 AA from another 5 from this task Starts to add up now Cap has even been raise to 70 banked. what more do you want? i guess everytime you travel and kick a rock you want it to auto grant you 1 aa thers already bonus 0 to 4500 just to get you to 4500
  7. Sinestra Augur

Oooh that's a lot of overly dramatic overreaction.

Auto-granting is going to happen unless they decide to change their minds. It was already decided on.
  8. Tachyon Augur

I think the point was to bring more new players towards the current endgame. For those of us that put in a lot of play time, it doesn't matter how long it takes.
    Sinestra likes this.
  9. Dre. Altoholic

Just autogrant CA/CS. It's the better part of 1000aa, they are mindless to grind out and this would go a long way toward making free accounts more viable. Maybe buff slots next.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  10. Brael Elder

You said it your self in mouthful, bring more new players towards the current endgame if they are auto granted theses AA and have no Idea what they do then they have no reason to even be in Current endgame content.The AA bonus from 0 to 4500 is reason why some Endgame guilds have raise there AA requirement Caps to 7500+ because it is way to easy now days to gain to 4500
    imo leave The current endgame to people who has worked for it with AA ,progression that hasnt been auto granted.
  11. Evil.Iguana Elder

Grinding has never been construed as a good thing.

No I won't. Stop using such pathetic straw men.

No it does not. The only way you get 100 in two weeks is with a massive multi-box power levelling effort. Even if that were the case, we are not discussing levels alone, but levels plus AAs. Maybe you play only easy classes, but hybrids need 7500-10000 AAs before they are "done."

I've defined what I want. I'd like for AAs to return to being something that you worry about at high levels as they were originally conceived rather than something that you have to grind solo in the middle levels.

My point is basically that it takes a whole lot longer to get to 100/10000 than it used to take to get to 60/50 in the Luclin era and that this is a bad thing. Furthermore, the way it is set up currently leaves a lot to be desired. When the AA system was first conceived a 0 AA max level character was quite viable. AAs were what you did after you got towards the high end so that you could tackle the higher tiers of endgame content. It's now possible, if you don't stop to get AAs, to create a character that is completely impotent against content ostensibly designed for his level. That is a failure of design, even if it is something that doesn't happen frequently due to player adaptation.

Personally, I'm getting really sick of people who assume that nothing in this game should ever become easier or faster. Is it now in vogue to say that the game was not hardcore enough in the Luclin / PoP era? Because that's really what I'm aiming for with regards to the AA system. Heck I already said that if we did what I suggested it would mean the end of the low AA xp bonus, so those few thousand AAs that still remained would still require months of playing for the average player to accrue. AAs should return to being an endgame thing as they were originally conceived.
  12. sojuu Augur

I believe they decided against autogranting AAs. And in place of AAs they made it to where the less AAs you have the faster you gain AA xp. Which I would much rather see than just autogranting.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  13. Tachyon Augur

That's just silly! Even you guys don't require that for classes that you need.

We're not talking about making it so some new player to EQ can max things out in a few weeks, but it would change the current system from taking a good few years to a good few months.

Plus, endgame EQ isn't rocket science. Most people can learn how to play their class very well over the course of a few months if they choose to. And raiding is better learned by *raiding*, not by putting months in grinding AAs with a merc.
  14. Sinestra Augur

No, in the same discussion thread where he stated he was upping the bonus and the bonus count I asked him if that would affect the auto-grant plans and he said it was separate and would still happen. Whether they changed their minds recently is up in the air as they haven't told us anything that I've seen.
  15. Sinestra Augur

I found the old posting here...

Sinestra wrote:
    Elidroth wrote:
    OK. So I'm taking the bonus to 4000AA, with a 1000% bonus degrading linearly to normal XP at the 4000 mark.
    June patch.

Thanks Elidroth! Does this negate the granting of AAs coming down the line or is this specifically because of the increase of number of AAs?

It doesn't negate anything. I still don't have the tools necessary to do the auto-granting correctly. This is just a reflection of the increased amount of AAs available.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eqold/posts/list.m?start=100&topic_id=186223
    Tachyon likes this.
  16. sojuu Augur

I stand corrected, there is a first time for everything ;P jk
    Sinestra likes this.
  17. Sinestra Augur

They haven't talked about this for a while so who knows where it is right now.
  18. moogs Augur

Origin was a nice start. I think Run Speed would be another easy candidate.
  19. Sinestra Augur

Run Speed, Origin, all the innate stat increases, maybe the stat cap increases up to a certain expansion, the metabolism, regen, mana regen, CA, CS...

For tanks maybe some of the other tanking AAs. Not enough to remove any need to get them, but if at level 80 you need skill A, B, C, and D to function, those should probably auto-grant. Things that make it easier are fine left to earn, but some necessities should be given at this point since we are over 10k AAs now.

Edit: These should also not count toward the bonus given and be given outside of the silver and free to play cap.
  20. Evil.Iguana Elder

The reason I suggested what I did was that it would be super easy to do. Blanket granting everything from each expansion up to the cutoff point pushes the AA grind back towards the high levels where it belongs and does so equitably without any need to tailor anything for each class.

Your mention of the silver/bronze AA cap made me realize why AA auto-granting has not been done. It has nothing to do with technical issues. We know that SOE can make AAs auto-grant at any level because they've done so before. The reason why this hasn't happened is because of the F2P AA caps. They would have to be adjusted to take the new AA counts into consideration or possibly even removed as a method of generating revenue.
    moogs likes this.