Auto Follow Upgrade

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Braveheart, May 14, 2013.

1. Braveheart Augur

I, like many other subscribers, box multiple accounts. Casters are by far the easiest to box. It is very easy to multiband hotkeys and write macro's to facilitate boxing.
    Still, there is a lot of enjoyment derived from walking up and smacking a mob with a sword. I, as would many players in the community, would like to see a follow command that allows your character to stick to a mob. Many games have sticky approach features--even EQ2. How hard would it be to enable this.
    I see no reason in not implementing this feature. SOE might find more subscribers loading a 2nd or even 3rd account. This is a no-brainer. If you want to increase revenue, please listen to the community.
  2. Ishtass Augur

Agreed. Also, more intelligent follow pathing...
    Leerah likes this.
  3. Kyzarvs New Member

A better version of /foll for sure would be handy. Sticking to a mob though? In 8 years or so of boxing 3-5 toons with at least one tank + rogue / ranger I've never really seen the need myself...
    Tegila likes this.
  4. Ishtass Augur

only an issue if you have a lot of push or the mob starts to run I suppose.
    Braveheart likes this.
  5. Axxius Augur

A little-known fact: the quality of /follow pathing directly depends on the Background FPS setting in Options - Display - Advanced. It seems that /follow uses the same time slice as redrawing the main view. By default, Background FPS is set to 'Min.' to avoid unnecessary redrawing, and /follow pathing sucks massively: even in a wide open area your boxes end up getting lost or running in circles. But increase Background FPS to something like 50 and you can safely move through most zones. At BFPS=80 your boxes can follow you through places like Breeding Grounds and Evantil tree without getting lost, as long as all your chars are max shrunk. Shrinking is very essential. Large chars get stuck on everything.

So, if you are boxing, set BFPS to at least 50 and always 2x shrink. Trade-off: higher GPU load. Not all video cards can handle 3 chars at 80 BFPS.
    Battleaxe and Pirouette like this.
  6. Leerah Augur

Your visual motor tracking must be excellent. I have given up playing melees because I cannot follow them visually when they move fast. It affects PCs for me too. I was waiting for my party to catch up with me, looking right where they should have been coming from, and somehow they passed me without me seeing them. I have a 2ms monitor (because I thought that might help) and an excellent video card.

Anyway, yes to sticking!
  7. Tegila Augur

why would they put melee sticking in teh game for autofollow when mains dont get to use it? melees have been wishing they could stay stuck to a mob forever since they have to be i na certain range for everything and mobs move.

as for /follow..its easy to melee. you run to mob take 1 step to toehr side with the leader and the others will be 1step behidn mob. turn around, attack. alts stay on follow and can attack fine
    moogs likes this.
  8. Braveheart Augur

I want "Sticky Approach" (I use this term, because it's the option in Aion). Everyone would benefit from it. You target mob, hit attack, and instant run to the NPC. You would remain leashed to the NPC unless it moved out of range--via gate, punt, pull,.. ect.
    Leerah likes this.
  9. Sanae New Member

Making boxing easier … I don’t think that will happen soon.
    /follow is really bad when you box on 1 PC. Running in a straight line and waiting for the boxed toon to catch up before you turn works so far.
    Using /follow for a boxed toon on a second PC works just great.

Sanae.
  10. Tobynn Augur

Apparently not much enjoyment, since walking up to a mob is what you want to eliminate. Why not just have the mob fall down dead when you turn on attack? Then you wouldn't even have to suffer through actually smacking it with a sword.
  11. Shimmerleaf Augur

Axxius thanks a ton for the suggestion on setting background FPS. I run 2 accounts on one PC and it has made a big difference. I used the setting at 80. Thanks again!

Shimmerleaf
    Axxius likes this.
  12. Axxius Augur

See my post above. I 3-box on 1 PC without any issues in most zones. It's all about Background FPS and shrinking.
    Sanae likes this.
  13. Braveheart Augur

I'm talking about boxing. Did you get confused on the topic?
    Lily likes this.
  14. Tobynn Augur

I'm not confused at all. First you clearly state that you enjoy walking up to a mob, then you state that you want that specific portion of gameplay automated so you won't have to deal with it any longer. Perhaps you don't understand what you wrote?
  15. Gragas Augur

Auto follow does suck, still no clue why all of a sudden the boxes start running in circles around the one toon they are following. As far as the sticking to a mob, snare seems to help if mob can be snared.
  16. Wuttever Augur

Perhaps he enjoys the roleplay of it, and not so much the mechanics of it. I heard the same banter going back and forth in beta when the question of whether or not autoattack should be in the game came up.
  17. Braveheart Augur

I want the feature available to turn on and off. "Sticky Approach" My tank I will manually approach and position, but want the option to turn it on for a box.
  18. Gragas Augur

Berserkers could use blinding everytime it is up and not miss, someone somewhere would consider it an exploit, so doubt it will ever be implemented.
  19. Sanae New Member

Yeah, the shrinking part was new for me, thanks for sharing :)

Sanae.
  20. Belchere Lorekeeper

I would settle for 1 small programming change. Spin to face target THEN start moving. That is the biggest PITA with /fol, the toon starts spinning randomly in a circle big enough for a double wide to turn in, gets caught on a 2 inch tall blade of grass, and then target is too far away to follow. If they would just alter the order and make it spin first, move 2nd, 75% of my issues with AF would just go away.