At what point does Permacamping violate EULA?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tegila, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Schadenfreude Augur

Get the instanced version of the same zone, kill the same mobs. Respawn them as often as you like without interference from anyone at all. Much better experience.
  2. doktartp Augur

There is more to EQ then just killing mobs, sometimes you cant get quest items in an instanced, or Named mobs.
    HS rangers in Ferrott, sure, they instanced just to not have to share, I do the same thing in mech guardian and kaesora. Partly to do with respawn time too.
  3. Laronk Augur

I've NEVER had someone not let me loot quest drops when they're killing stuff in an area unless they needed the quest drops for themselves. If someone did that to me, I'd simply train them.

Chances are this guy would let you also have the named for achievement if you talked to him (or you could just steal it and run away with it or again train him for the named). In the OP's case he just wants easy exp and doesn't want to have to work for it. On FV headshot pl's are very popular, people pay 100k a hour just to be allowed to sit in a ranger's group (sharing exp with 4 other people paying 100k a hour)
  4. Hahlfwit Augur

5. Raymond Lorekeeper

Permacamping has been around since day 1. Drelzna, Rubicite, Ancient Cyclops, Short Sword of Ykesha...these were permacamps before the first expansion release. There is nothing new to debate.
  6. Schadenfreude Augur

This thread is about not having on-demand access to the lizards in the static zone for powerlevelling purposes. Anytime I'm running through and someone has been head-shotting the corpses are left to rot.
  7. Mellifleur Augur

Leerah likes this.
  8. Kaylord101 Elder

I really only play on the weekend and honestly, if i dont have anything to do that day, I will online for 14-20 hours at one camp cause im not leaving till i come for what i came there for. yes it does get boring and i do get tired... Heck thats why they came out with Monster Rehab stuff right? lol.

But my workdays are normally 14-16 hours long, so its not really a big problem for me.
    and just so its clear, no i am not camping stuff and going to 5 different named phers. its normally just one named, unless another one spawns in the exact same room.
  9. Kaylord101 Elder

I also pretty much camp stuff where there is not many people in the zone, like pillars or Sep/
  10. Leerah Augur

During a double xp weekend, one of our allies had consumed way too many caffeinated drinks. He threw up and his heart rate was over 120. His wife was pissed and I was worried. Still, we're not in the health protection business... well, you're not.
  11. Leerah Augur

On Povar, it's shadowknights in Fort Mech.
  12. Koutarou Elder

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they're awake and killing the mobs they're welcome to it as long as they can keep it up. Always something else I can go do.
  13. Laronk Augur

Sorry that happened to your friend, it's like I said though the 48 hour stint doesn't kill you. The energy drinks do combined with the average physique that a gamer has and poor eating habits.
    Leerah likes this.
  14. Piestro Augur

Back when the cleric epic was the hot item to get, I tried to camp ragefire from the moment he was killed. 3 1/2 days later no amount of caffeine would keep me awake and my guildies held down the camp while I snored on the keyboard. After that I arranged shifts, but I got my dang epic. I "camped" that spot for more than 7 days straight.

I'm happy that people respected my camp, and I always did my best to give that respect back. If someone was camping an area I let it alone, no matter how silly they got with it. It's not about time, it's about a mutual understanding of what is acceptable.

Training people isn't acceptable, that seems like the real issue in what you are describing.
  15. Tarrin Augur

During one of the mid summer double xp weekends, I was able to get around 1400 AAs ( I was well over the xp mod cap already, so nothing was boosted ). I did this while PLing a recently returned friend from 75-95 and some; he merely afked and mooched the xp. I set up camp in front of the gate to CoB. I would literally pull 30+ mobs at a time ( my goal was every single animal west of the city walls ) and kite them down ( I am a druid ).
    It became interesting multiple times as people did not seem to believe I could hold down that particular area by myself. It was really cute how bad people were wanting to kill *THOSE* particular animal mobs, and not just move to a different area ( and I even said they could take any nameds that spawn..I can't Quint those~ ).
  16. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

so let me get this straight. To prevent people from monopolizing the camp you monopolize the camp? Right.......................................

While the new aes are FAR below what I find acceptable(hell with 3% a nuke) to consider quading (or quinting as it is now called) I have burned a friends lesson a couple times this way and personally I like pulling citizens from inside out the front gate. Identical models do wonders for stacking up. I usually pull 10, pop all burns, blast them and have him camp by the time my burns are back up they respawn and he logs back in for another round.
  17. Eomund New Member

Since there are no camps in EQ, and you can't KS if the mob doesn't have agro yet, then taking the camp shouldn't be that hard. Sometimes situations in EQ get very competitive and people throw the standard rules out the window (ie. acknowledging that camps exist). If you pressure someone hard enough in their own camp, they will leave. When it gets to the point where they can hardly find a mob to kill, they will eventually get so frustrated they will just quit.

It's up to you if you wanna be "that guy" that throws his might around, brings in a DPS group, and pushes someone else out of their own camp. It's a good way to get on bad terms with someone for sure, but if the guy is behaving like a jerk then I would do it out of spite. All things said, I have never encountered someone permanently camping an area I wanted for days on end. I've only had people try to move in to my camps and fail when things get crowded.
    Leerah likes this.
  18. Eico Eico New Member

uuuuug. 73 hours straight

not sure what was worse, the broken tooth or not seeing him.

Eico
  19. BrandeX Journeyman

Never. That's not what the EULA is about/for. Check it out sometime before logging in.
  20. Perydia New Member

You might want to follow your own advice. That story is by no means rare in Asia (especially Korea). It's like crying about someone killing someone over a sword and using that as some kind of justification for concern over people's values. It happens and more than people would like to admit, unless they need to use the event(s) for some reason. Given how the press sensationalizes everything nowadays, do you honestly think that story wasn't as a result of Diablo 3's hype cycle? Remember 'EverQuest Widows'? Don't hear too much about them anymore, do you? Did they cease to exist because EQ is no longer front page news? How many people have died because they stepped on somebody's sneaker? Why aren't we decrying how easily those types of footwear are dirtied? Or is that not convenient to the argument?

TL: DR - that story (and stories of violence involving gaming) is common and happens a great deal in parts of Asia as well as in the West. But you'll only hear about it if it's connected to a major international game property. Cultural differences can be a major reason for it. It's a lot easier to beat the snot out of the guy who stole your camp when he's sitting 8 feet away from you, for example. That's why people will say 'whiners make this a big deal when it suits their purposes' (or similar reactions), like this is something new.
    Leerah likes this.