Artisan's Prize -- tips & tricks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mintalie, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Mintalie Augur

I have found several excellent guides online, thank you to those who have put forth so much effort to make them.

What I am looking for are any helpful tricks that some of you might have discovered along the way to make this exceptionally long task a tiny bit less tedious.

Any hoarder-types on Xegony, hit me up in-game, I am willing to pay plat for any of the tradeable items to make this go faster.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I know this is an old quest and people are probably bored to sobs from talking about it. Catching up in this game is tough!
  2. svann Augur

Figure out what you need and setup a buyer in the bazaar. Once in a while say in General what you need and what you are offering. Dont be cheap! Make your offer worthwhile, and check /barter to make sure you arent offering less than someone else. Also, many may not know about the shortcut to check barter. Mention that alt-shift-click an item will open barter and automatically check if there are buy lines for it. That will get people checking barter before they vendor. Also let people know they can sell to /barter from any zone.
  3. Zamiam Augur

thanks I did not know that .. !! :p
    Mintalie likes this.
  4. Thrillho Augur

Tip: Move to Canada where pot is now legal.

Organizational skills are crucial. The easier something is to use, the more inclined you are to use it. Think kitchenware - you don't like to cook because it's a pain in the butt to pull that large pan out from underneath the stack of them. Your inventory should be organized in such a way that it makes it easy to do tradeskilling. Utilize housing storage, mules, bank / shared bank space. Don't forget you need to have some empty spaces too - I try to keep at least two bags empty so I can fill them with vendor-bought items when I'm TSing. Don't rely on the Find option. While useful, it's slow compared to a properly organized bank.

Pace yourself. Thousands of combines are ahead of you. You'll get burned out if you go for too much too soon.

Set up a set of combines you can do whenever / wherever. Fletching is a good example. Get a shopping list together of the items you'll need, go shopping, then go do whatever it is you'd like to do. Camp a named, run across the Karanas, raid... I do combines during downtime on raids sometimes. And, let's be honest, sometimes during the raid as well.

Get the rares before the commons. Bazu bones and girplan feathers are a good example of this. Bazu bones are rare-ish compared to the girplan feathers, and both are available in the same zone. If you're in that zone, focus on the bones first. Any feathers you get while getting bones is a bonus, as you can easily get all the feathers you need in a few spawn sessions.

Do your research on what drops where. A lot of zones have drops for multiple tradeskills. Farming for one item for one tradeskill only to have to go back to farm another item in a slightly different spot of the zone is annoying.

Don't necessarily do the easiest combines first. It's great to get a quick increase in your AP, but when that's all done you have sooo much more ahead of you to do and it's daunting. If you mix the good with the bad, when you feel yourself getting burned out you can dive into the good for a quick perk up.

Find someone doing the same thing and trade off. For fishing, I tripled or quadrupled a good portion of my fish and traded them to someone doing the same for another tradeskill. Made both of our lives easier. I've done this for a few tradeskills.

On the same note, hand off your extras to those who need. Either as a gift or a reasonable price. They're in the same boat as you. Hopefully they'll return the favour.

Complain as much as you'd like, but if you're complaining while sitting in the guild hall about how rare a drop is vs. actively farming it, you won't get much sympathy. I had a bunch of rare ones left over from my farming that I gave out to folks who were doing the camps after me. I was less inclined to give them up to someone who wasn't going to do the work.

Don't afk-kill. As easy and as appealing as it is to do, I've known plenty of people get suspended for it. It's not worth it. Whenever I need to do something like that, I'll usually have Netflix open on my second screen so I can monitor the spawns and do whatever as needed.

Lastly: it's just a game. Don't let it consume you.
    Claan and Mintalie like this.
  5. Mintalie Augur

I didn't know that either! :eek:
    Check.
    This is a big challenge for me!
    Fantastic suggestion.
    Yes, and to that end, I'm hoping some other hyper-vigilant person out there has done this and can share with me ! ! !

Amazing tips, guys, thanks so much. I'm very proactive about these things and go to great lengths to make my own guides from the others' in advance to make everything as painless as possible.

P.S. Thank you, my new favoritest monk!
  6. Orbital101 Augur

7. Aurastrider Augur

If you have alt accounts divide and conquer is the best method beside obviously buying from other players which can be very costly depending on the items. I would have anywhere from 6-8 toons spread out across the world farming items at the same time. Once you get the spawn timers down and using AE abilities on mostly mobs that die in one shot its not that difficult to do while avoiding afk issues that can get you into trouble. Also park your toons out of agro range and use invis when you jump between toons as extra caution just in case you have to go afk at a moments notice and cant log all of your accounts out. Also a HC that you can delete and remake over and over again will come in handy for all of the religion/racial/class imbued gems needed. I just kept remaking the same toon over and over again until I had everything I needed for JC.

If you are just talking about the actual quest line for POP progression I used the same method above parking toons outside of where the raid bosses would spawn. My named would just zone hop checking for other named and clearing for mats along the way. When a boss would spawn I would assemble, kill, and most importantly notify guild and general chat so others could get their flags if needed. It took me about 3 weeks in POP to finally finish the progression doing it this way and I was able to get a bunch of materials needed for actual artisan prize evolution along the way.
  8. Flatchy Court Jester

So someone new to AP I have a couple questions. Mine says 132 ac and 1320 hp. I didnt make my trophys till after I was 300 skill in all TS. I hear that is a no no and should have been upping my trophies as I went along. Now that the deed is done I went back and started doing my coldain prayer shawel quest from 1.0 on to the aug. Everytime I make a combine over 300 I put my trophy in my primary hand. Is it supposed to go up in percentage? Is it like before where you make a lot of the same thing before you see an upgrade? I thought after 300 it went by different recipes learned not how many times you did it.

Kind of thought this went along with the OP, perhaps it will give him some insight for his journey through H E double hockeysticks.
  9. Aurastrider Augur

You are correct about raising your base skill above 300 being dependent on recipes learned and not total combines but you have to have the tradeskill AA's from EOK in order to go over the 300 base threshold also. For anyone new to tradeskills I would suggest the following:

1. Do the free quests in CR
    2. Get all pre EOK tradeskill AA's
    3. Request trophy quests and obtain trophies
    4. Get all tradeskills to base 300 and fully evolve trophies to 7/7
    5. Max out remaining tradeskill AA's from EOK
    6. Scribe all books from merchants that you may have missed during the above process
    7. Use one of the various tools created by the awesome players here to start doing all of the needed combines to get to 350.
    8. See a psychiatrist for mental health issues that are certainly bound to follow.
  10. Cicelee Augur

Best advice I can give-

Do not stress on getting it to max level (300 AC). At the end of the day, it will be your best augment regardless of what it is at. Increasing the numbers will help your magelo, but it will not make you a significantly better tank/melee/healer/caster.

Do it because you want to do it (i.e. maximizing the augment). Do not feel as if you are required and need to max it. And when it gets to be too much or too stressful, just stop. Your magelo will be fine either way...
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Brilliant!!!
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You are confusing two different things, raising the trophy to max, and raising the TS skill level.

To max the trophy, you have to make successful combines with trivials at 300 or higher. Different trophies have different numbers of successful combines required before they (the trophy) gains experience. There is a post on EQTraders which shows how many combines are required to move the trophy from 12% to 15%. For the trophy, you CAN use the same recipe over and over, it doesn't care. If your trophy is at a lower level (say, 4% or 5%), you will gain experience on it much more quickly (it has a "catch-up" feature built into it!). Since you're working on the AP quest anyway, I'd say, just keep making all the recipes you need to, and the trophy will just gain XP as you go. If your trophy is "behind" (i.e. not at 12% yet), then make recipes below 300 first, to let it catch up, and then make recipes over 300.

For the tradeskill level itself, as people said, it CAN'T go over 300 unless you buy the AAs. Each AA lets that particular skill go up 5 points. Those points are based on how many recipes you know, and again, each TS has a different number of recipes needed to go up 1 skill point. The big thing I'd recommend is to follow Adetia's post about where all the books are, and buy and scribe them. That alone will get you (once you have purchased the AAs) about 65 skillups* across all tradeskills, which is enough to raise the AP aug from 40% to 49%.

The way the aug works, for every 7 skillups, you get 1% more on the aug. It starts at 40% by default, so you need 60 increases (or, 420 TS skill gains). Since there are 9 categories to gain skill in, there are 450 possible skillups, so you can skip 30 of them, and still max the aug.

So: trophy - keep making successful combines, and once trophy is @ 12%, successful combines over 300

Aug - Keep making new recipes, and every so many, you get a skillup (dependent on tradeskill). 7 skillups across any of the tradeskills adds 1% to the aug. AAs are needed to unlock the possible skill gains.

Tat

* - Edit. Just realized, that was about how many I got, but I've been doing TS for years, and likely had learned a lot of recipes which weren't in the books, so ~65 skillups may be more than somebody relatively new to TS would get, just from scribing the books. However, the principle is the same. Scribe all the books, then buy AAs. If buying a new rank of AA in a TS doesn't give you 5 more skillups, then you know you need to start making more recipes to raise it, and can move on to buying AAs for a different TS.
  13. Flatchy Court Jester

Just for the record. I already have made the A.P. and I have every AA in the books with 220 saved.
    Thank you for all the advice , good stuff!
  14. Coagagin Guild house cat

No need to put your trophies in either hand. Your probably lowering your attributes anyhow. The trophies are best left in your ammo slot unless actively used for throwing or archery. At worse, you look a bit uninformed. Worst yet? The guy who runs around PoK with TWO trophies in hand doing tradeskills. Guess those people don't look at there primary stats at all.

Do fishing first because its an easy win, followed by BREWING and POTTERY as they both factor into other skills like SMITHING. Fletching is an "easy" skill to progress and RoS has given us hundreds of new options so the whole path to finishing your AP is much simpler now.

http://eqrecipes.free.fr is your guiding source for what you haven't done yet but start off with the Excel based spreadsheet until your well under way. Its easier to plan what you need to do starting off with the Excel based spreadsheet first, IMO.

- Coag
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  15. Mintalie Augur

Is there EoK progression required to purchase the AAs; or just owning the expansion?
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Per the skillup calculator at EQTraders, and assuming it's correct, and I do assume that per observed results over many years, primary stats over a certain point stop speeding up skillups. And that point is WAY lower that what any normal 100+ is going to be running around with.

Now, if you're talking about a lower level char, then, yes, only put the trophy in the ammo slot.

Note: I just went and checked the calculator. It indicates that a primary stat above ~620 doesn't help speed up skillups any more.
    Gialana likes this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just owning EoK
  18. Mintalie Augur

19. Mintalie Augur

I have links for JC and Fletching.

Anyone have others?
  20. Mintalie Augur

I want to be 100% sure I understand this.

I have 300 on all of my trophies already. I still need to max out 7/7 on several of them, but that's easy. On the ones that I've already maxed, I need to buy the AAs and then start learning new recipes? So doing combines on high trivials repeatedly will not evolve it (i.e. the way I evolved to 300, by autocombining on a high trivial with a metric fuckton of TS in my bags)?

And to "learn" a new recipe, is it required to successfully create said recipe, OR is memming the miscellaneous recipe books sufficient?

I know this is really old hat to most of you, I'm sorry for asking questions that everyone is surely bored with, but I want to make sure I do this correctly.