ARE YOU NEW OR RETURNING? JOIN THIS SERVER

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Nick, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Hota New Member

Crystilla,

As I have not played in many years I readily admit that I am ignorant of when many of the changes took place in EQ. If, as you appear to be implying, the experience on Fippy flowed much slower when the server was first opened and if there was no tutorial at that time, I think that wonderful. If so, that is all the more reason to desire a new progression server.

Assuming this to be true, then I find it a bit amusing that progression servers not only unlock content in the order it was released, but also replicate major mistakes SOE has made over the years. To be fair, some people will like the idea of trivializing all of the low level content, but I view this as a terrible error. If SOE had wanted to allow people to skip past lower level content then that could have been more easily accomplished by allowing characters to be created at a higher level without ruining the low level game.

Likely there would have been resistance to this idea from the established player community in that they had to do it the hard way, but the fact is that people starting now, on a live server, are not doing it the hard way. These changes might have been incremental over the years but I am now experiencing those accumulated changes all at once and they have had a tremendous impact on the character of game play. I remember how big a milestone lvl 20 was when, after months of hard work and a tremendous volume of fun, I finally got to add a last name to my character. Now, even on Fippy and even without any tutorial gear, I got to lvl 20 in a weekend.

EQ, as a ground breaking game, has many lessons to teach about managing change as a game matures. Errors aside, SOE deserves a lot of credit as it is very hard to be the first and WoW certainly "jumped the shark" in a much shorter period of time then did EQ. Let us hope the designers of Next have learned these lessons and have a brilliant maturation plan in place for the new game.

Safe Travels,
    Hota
  2. Crystilla Augur

The difference being you're really asking for a classic server - and these are not classic, these are progression.

But everyone has their own opinion of what they want to see brought in from the 13+ years of EQ since classic was actually classic; there isn't really a majority wants 'this' or majority wants 'that' because it's so fragmented.

That's the only thing I mean.

There is one server which maintains that - the mac Al'Kabor server.
    Tegila and Sinestra like this.
  3. Tegila Augur

see this is what people have a problem with in your posts. We're all happy for you taht you'reh appy on Fippy, but STOP badmouthign liveservers just because YOU think it's this astronomical mountain you can never climb...real people do it all teh time and in far far less time than you keep spouting off here. Like i said we had people come back and rolll brand new toons and be raiding a month later (with guild help, yes, but tahts what they came back for). Don't tell people they absolutely can't do anything on a live server their first year, the bias is ridiculous. And trust me, i know what an SK needs (gee look at my signature) but i also know it's NOT the huge battle you say it is jsut to get back into the game. You're not going ot be the top sk on yoru server in a month obviously..but who would play the game if that were the case anyway? you WILL be getting groups and making progress and having fun though, and you will get many offers of help along the way, jsut different fun adn different levels and rates of progress than you are on Fippy. That's our point. Fippy has it's points, but so does Live. You could come back at 80 as an sk, and as long as you dont mind staying 80 for a week or 2 rather htan rushing to max levels (you'll earn soon enough that you cant jstu level then aa later, and expect to be useful) to get caught up FOR 80, then you can continue on same as anyone else did when 80 was current, only you'll make much faster progress from there. is your goal really to be endgame in a month? thats not really waht EQ's about. obviously you dont want to be though, but you are literally making a mountain out of a molehill the way you're talking about catching up from 80 on a live server.

btw: progression server will never get to RoF, it'll just be closed down and/or merged with a live server at some point.
  4. Windrifter New Member

Hota, thanks for sharing your experience! It is really helpful!

You are REALLY being helpful to some other players, ignore the guy who keeps finding arguments for every silly thing.

I am still deciding how/where to play and you're POV is truly useful!
    fergus100 likes this.
  5. EQOAnostaliga Elder

Lol well that was an interesting comments section. As a noob to EQ1 i started with EQOA for PS2, i then went to WoW and i have to agree with Nick, it's too easy and all it is, is quest after quest, or instance runs for gear! People get into a group and don't say a word! Unless it's to insult one another on their DPS! WoW is to MMORPG's what Glam rock was to Metal. It ruined it and sold out to the masses and little girls.
    fergus100 and Viltaire like this.
  6. EQOAnostaliga Elder

lol sorry as a NEW PLAYER to EQ1 :rolleyes:
  7. Contu1 New Member

nah only thing difficult in EQ is figuring out the controls after 9 years away from the game. Debating whether it worth a gold membership to figure out what other toons i have hiding on zek server. Back in the day EQ was hard with hell lvls, AA's were a major pain. How i miss those days.
    Sinestra likes this.
  8. Ataal Journeyman

You're not kidding about the AA's being tougher back then. It took me a year to get 150 AA's, maybe longer. I came back to EQ after a very long time and after only a month of playing, I've gone from 150 AA's to nearing 600 AA's at a very casual pace. I play maybe 3 or 4 times a week. I'm sure with the right class, the right zone(I'm still trying to figure out where to go at my level most of the time), and more time to play, I could easily double or triple those numbers.

I remember sitting in PoD when I could finally solo one of those big spiders(SK ones, the Clerics' heals are frustrating), and even with AA's at 100%, I would get maybe 2-4% per kill. Which, was a ton back then on one kill. I get about 40+% of an AA per kill in Loping Plains in a full group now. If I didn't enjoy spending all those AA's on cool new abilities so much, I'd be disgusted.
  9. JohnathanXFR New Member

If your a RETURNING PLAYER the progression server Fippy Darkpaw might be a good option for you. The server was created in 2011 and the max LvL is only 70 so your really not that far behind. It is a great way start a new journey into EQ!!

If your a NEW PLAYER you might want to look into any server that is heavily populated. They will have Mercinaries to help you and the server is littered with gear. Personally, I enjoy more of a challenge.

I have a 80 SK with 700 AA on a different server. I decided trying to catch up to others would be too much work and I did not return to EQ to grind out thousands of AA. Fippy Darkpaw might be a good opportunity for you to start fresh!

Things to know:
    - Fippy Darkpaw isn't the heaviest populated server but people are still making new characters so you should be able to find groups. LOTS of people are still LvL 40-60

- Fippy Darkpaw requires a gold account .. So yes u do have to pay to enter this server

- and no, you cannot transfer your old character here lol.

- and btw there are no mercenaries until later expansions. I think the game is more fun without them anyways. Enjoy the challenge!

***here is some info on Fippy Darkpaw (remember the server is on expansion DoDH now) so some things have changed: http://www.fippydarkpaw.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=788

**here is a guide for the progression servers: http://www.almarsguides.com/eq/progression/

I created this so any returning player recognizes this server as a opportunity to start fresh and not have to worry about "catching up" If you have anything negative to say, I won't respond.

Have a great day =D
  10. Xanorak Lorekeeper

I support this. Some people returning are very confused on what server to play on or simply feel "out of reach" from the rest of the community. Progression servers could be a good opportunity for some people
  11. Sebbina Augur

There is another version of this topic, my reply there was -{ Hmm, if i were a new player to EQ, i would take the F2P option to see what i like or don't which eliminates the prog servers at the beginning. Were i returning, i would check what happened to my old chars and still go F2P until i decide if i want to progress on the gold standard. There is nothing wrong with Fippy server, but, it does mean that you will have to wait years to get to current content. I would recommend a regular server to anyone new or returning, get into the game groove, then, make decisions about special servers. }-
    The comment about catching up is odd, I came across a player trying to level quickly, he spent the day at it and by the time i logged in next morning he had gotten to 75. Obviously grinding very fast means bypassing a lot of content, the choice to go gold is personal and of course good for the game as more income means greater chance that the game continues. Advancement for anyone who is new or has been out of game for years, is best with some friendly people who will provide suggestions , encouragement and enough assistance to feel comfortable. Any server that makes new/returning players welcome will be a good place to enjoy the game at whatever level of play is decided upon.
    Okay, the new version has been moved to the end of this old one, carry on.
    Tegila and Yther like this.
  12. Xanorak Lorekeeper

LvL 75 in a day huh? Makes me want to vomit. Does this new player even know his was around zones yet? And how is this experiencing what the game has to offer lol.... Did you tell him to go buy gold now so he can gear up? It's disappointing seeing how some of the community doesn't see the benefits progression servers have for returning players

A: if they quit around PoP or DoDH; they will be very familiar with the current content we are on.

B: EQ is about grouping... Exploring new zones... Learning the abilities your character has to offer. Mercs are helpful but grouping with real people is alot more fun.

C: There's a good amount of people to group with and xp -especially LvL 40+

D: experience ALL content instead of skipping 80% of the game and be in a hurry ... Not realizing they're still miles away from even being useful
    Nick likes this.
  13. Nick Elder

I'm supprised people are still blabbering about this. It's simply another option if you feel lost/ don't know where to start. Progression server is perfict for my situation
  14. Yther Augur

The duplicity of arguments in this thread is so annoying. Blue servers are too hard, I'm too far behind, then when people give examples of leveling fast, you say that's not the way to play it's too fast, you miss too much. You can go slow on any server. You don't have to miss anything. If you want to explore, you will at a reasonable pace for you. If you want to level fast, you can (not all people will even if they want to, just due to lack of experience / knowledge, and/or not buying a 3rd party Powerleveling (I never have suggested this, and never will, but free Powerleveling for those that know the game is not a bad a thing). Any way, back to the duplicity; Mercs teach you alot about grouping, controlling aggro, pulling, etc. No it's not the same as real people, nor as fun, but if you're about leveling quickly and learning the game fast, it doesn't take long with mercs.

You can play how you want on any server, within reason, and limits of the server rules and options available. If you're really into classic, there's lots of EQ Emulators out there, and even the official Mac server that is forever bound to Planes of Power. There is also Vulak, as well as Fippy, which I've heard very little promotion for by those saying go to Fippy. Acting like you're giving people options while you're trying to force the single server you want is being deceitful.

I've seen no one say anything discouraging about the progression servers, only pointing out how some arguments for them are baseless. And those arguments are really for progression but rather against blue servers. It's as if, I was arguing to pick cherry flavor and mostly only pointing out falsehoods about chocolate as a reason. There are many reason to pick any and each server. The main reason and the only reason I played on a progression server should be to re-experience each expansion as it originally came out, but in a much faster time line. Both servers are way past that point for me, as I've been playing pretty much non-stop other than short breaks since DoD expansion.

Also, 1-50 is not 80% of the game. Only the first 3 expansions were primarily for those levels, then TSS for 1-75 (80 really). The rest have the largest majority of content for 60+, with the widest possible content in the 60-75 range. Only the original game didn't have 60+ content, and only last 3 expansions don't really have content for 75 or lower. That gives 19-4 = 15 expansions of 19 with content in the 60-75 range, and 12 of 19 that are primarily in that range.

Yther Ore.
    Tegila and Sinestra like this.
  15. Nick Elder

Thanks for that post Xanorak. I'm going to copy/paste it cuz your is more detailed
  16. caninjamie New Member

I am returning this weekend I played up to midway through Dragons of Norrath. I was in the European Raiding guild Caer Cadarn on Maelen Starpyre we had initially come from Llane. I am bringing two friends (hopefully more) who have never played EQ1 but have heard me talk endlessly of the glory days of the old EQ. I played around for an hour or so with the free to play tonight. i gotta admit this game is so refreshing compared to the pure garbage out there today. My friends have a similar mindset as myself, we are going to go GOLD so we have the multiple range of races classes etc. I dont have my old account or even remember the login info etc. So will be re-rolling with my friends. We are not really loot whoreish (lol c'mon everyone has a little in them) so twinking and gearing out as we level is not a priority. its more for the exploration. I would really like my friends to get to experience as much of the game as possible. we do play very hardcore hours and they do have much raiding and MMORPG exp from other games etc. But we dont plan to learn to play then fast grind to current max level and join endgame raiding guild as fast as possible.

It would be nice to do some of the old content if possible I mean we all remember our first Vox and Naggy raids, the beating Cazic Thule entrance put on us. I know there has been many changes to the game and I really wont remember much of the mechanics so I will have to relearn too. It seems Fippy and the other progression server seem to be near where I left off so is it even worthwhile going there? By the time we have explored the old world content who knows how far these servers will be? Should we go to a regular server and use Merc's so we could do harder content as our small group? I think we will want as much of the traditional Everquest experience and grow from there, any suggestions? I dont know how we will feel about twinking or power leveling after a few weeks and feel comfortable in game. I mean for example if there is absolutely no one but us 3 around from level 20 + up until 40. we may be willing to just forgo some content and grind or power level to 40 just so we can have people to play with or possibly raid.

I really look forward to returning and showing my friends what they missed 13 years ago, I know its no where near the same but im sure there will be hidden twinkles here and there. Just the sheer detail to the game makes it so enjoyable! So many races and classes, you get to choose an alignment, you have to learn rudimentary skills! like swimming! spending time to farm items just in order to raid! I really would like my friends to experience Luclin and Vex Thall! I'll be a literally tour guide haha ... you see this spot? wayyy back in my time we awoke the Sleeper and he killed literally hundreds of people for hours! Ohh and trust me i'm kinda a ! i wont warn them of things with spoilers either and I'll turn and run away as they get mauled by whatever's around the next corner!

So any suggestions, direction to guilds that may have scheduled "nostalgia" nights or something would be greatly appreciated. I made a post in the newbie section also and plan to talk to some people there too. I noticed there are a fair amount of people with Returning player posts, maybe we could all make a guild or something?
  17. Gythlen Augur

I'm returning but pass on the progression servers. Why? Because I started when Kunark came out and they are almost/are at PoP. I also am not keen on a group of people dictating my gaming experiences. I enjoy taking my time.

I am on Vox now, taking my time as a Drakkin ( a race not in the game for me before). Heck, I still can't get used to the new quest journal, yet they don't have it used with old quests?? Bah ... oh well, time to bring out the pen and paper like the old days!
    Sinestra likes this.
  18. JohnathanXFR New Member

Since you all are going gold I would recommend trying out Fippy to see what you think. You could always go to a different server(if for some reason your disapointed in fippy) Me and a friend joined the server a couple months ago and now were LvL 60ish. I love the challenge this server brings and IMO mercs do make the game a bit too easy. It's all about what you preferr and I guess some people enjoy sitting back watching their mercs kill lol.

As for raiding Vox and naggy... The server is quite a ways past those zones. There is a newer guild called Switchblade that's just finishing PoP and looking forward to raiding Qvic and Tacvi I think.
  19. caninjamie New Member

I have been giving it some consideration i may check out Vox because it has only been live since March and hopefully there are still a good population of lower level people. Do they allow Character transfers between Vox and Fippy? I doubt I personally will use merc's regardless of what server I am on, unless really needed, like if i'm 2 boxing and my 2 -4 friends are playing so we can get 16 toons in order to accomplish something we just cant with 3 - 5 players. Like I said much of this is about experiencing the content for my new friends and me relieving some of the memories not the gear etc.I mean i cant see ourselves parked in 1 zone for weeks like the old days but it would be nice to clear out areas and zones over periods of a day or two almost treat them like instances. Hopefully I can find people who still raid Luclin content or even rally a few alts etc
  20. Yther Augur

No transfers to the progression servers (game breaking). And as far as I know still not able to transfer off of them either.

Yther Ore.