Are we actively trying to flush this game down toilet?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tappin, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

Ummm The 1970's are gone. I use my computer to reconcile my checking account. I only rarely use paper checks for anything. I track all of my finances electronically. In any case, it was a capability that existed. Players seemed to like/appreciate it. It wasn't perfect and now it's gone. Players would like it back. Will I quit over the issue? Not likely.

Having said that, the lag issue is really much more serious. I don't raid and it still causes issues for me when I box two characters. A statement on that issue would be helpful.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Laronk like this.
  2. Tappin Augur

Might as well just file 2021 into the trashcan - Draconian lockdown measure still effect for a large portion of the world (they did not work) and EverQuest rolls back QoL features back to 1999, just cause.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

Each time you login to EQ there is a moment that the EQ client has to touch the account database to verify your login credentials. It would be child's play for them to put your Gold time on the character select screen with a timer to mask the info after 5 minutes.

I get the fact that while you are actively in-world the client may not touch the account server, but for that brief moment when you first login then it HAS to be current and accurate or they'd never let you in.

I also realize that when you camp a character the info won't be valid any longer hence the masking after a few minutes when you first login.

And at that level it's not a pure http or https issue, it's whatever communications protocol the client is already using to validate your account.

Or just give me free DB cash every time you force me to use the broken down POS they call a web site!
    Darkrok42, Zinth, Fenthen and 2 others like this.
  4. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Perhaps, one person's broken down POS is another's vintage technology? They are trying stay in era as best they can. :D
  5. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

If that was the case, then we would still be able to see our days remaining accurately in our inventory window.

That is probably the best way to sum up that diatribe. You did make me chuckle though with your example of bills you don't have to log into to figure out your renew or due dates though. EverQuest offers the same options as those type billers typically do.

What I find amazing is that customers continue to complain even when something has been explained to them. Personally, when a business does something I don't like I let them know and then move on with my life instead of beating a dead horse over and over again.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You're in our world now.
    Fenthen, Barraind, Mesc and 3 others like this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

[IMG]
  8. Sissruukk Rogue One

Back in the good old golden days of EQ, you had no quest window, achievement window, or any special window to keep track of what you did or didn't do. You took notes, kept spreadsheets, etc. You kept Zam or EQR open to follow the steps and hope you didn't lose your place if you had to take a break. You kept a folder of printed maps, and used /loc to get around. You dropped a rusty sword on the ground to find your direction heading. And numerous other things we have now didn't exist in the game.,

EQ got dumbed down significantly.

As for paying bills, I keep a document that tells me when to pay my bills when each month. I don't rely on automated stuff to text me when to pay my bills. I don't even rely on the postal service to deliver my bills. I know when to pay them, allocate them out of my paychecks, etc.

We as a society have dumbed down significantly.
    Shanarias and Tarvas like this.
  9. Tappin Augur

Look it’s 2021, not 1999. If you want the same feature set as 1999, go play project 1999.
  10. Laronk Augur

Everquest has been modernized significantly, while you still might need to use a site like eq resource a bit for some quests depending on the player. Systems like Maps, the questing system, achievement and flag tracking are improvements. These are quality of life improvements and they keep more players than they drive away.

How is making things easier for people a bad thing?

Some people need things like text reminders to remind them to pay bills, some people are really scatter brained and need all the help they can get to do even simple things because it's a struggle for them.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would argue that having to track in game info about various things outside of your actual game is just silly and it is better to track it in game instead of having to spend time to track it all manually.
  12. Sprained wrist hurts New Member

I hope they re-introduce the days remaining as a monetized feature. And, honestly, that's the only way a feature could get implemented by daybreak.

If it don't make money, efff it
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

When I state that EQ dumbed down I was merely noting that one no longer has to do all those things I mentioned to enjoy the game. I am not opposed to QOL improvements in the game. Perhaps my choice of words was misleading.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Laronk like this.
  14. Zamiam Augur

this would be more appropriate if she was holding up the middle finger :p ;)
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

[IMG]

Couldn't resist.
    Shanarias, Tatanka, Coagagin and 2 others like this.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I was thinking a Cracked Staff to pummel expired equines with.

But I kind of like your idea more.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

For some handy advice:
    How to Beat a Dead Horse (safely)
  18. SunDrake Augur

I don't entirely disagree with what you are saying, but there is zero reason to force that on players. You aren't correcting the ways that anyone organizes their lives by forcing them to jump through a stupid hoop that they previously didn't have to. To push people to the website seems like a bad decision considering the website / marketplace performance is really awful at times. I've personally experienced trouble trying to use the website / marketplace two of the last 3 times I've used it. Literally just given up and came back another day.

It's just a collection of small things like this that appear to be piling up. I'm one of those players who has pretty much chosen to stick with the game til one of our ends. For anyone with less of a commitment, the impression you'd likely come away with is that the company neglects its game and its customers, unfortunately.
  19. Laronk Augur

That is pretty bad, but they probably have to have escalators for access for accessibility issues.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Tappin Augur

People with physical disabilities often use fitness centers for rehabilitation.
    Fenthen and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.