Are there any raiding guilds that do not require Discord?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sagarmatha, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Risiko Augur

I don't see why people are attacking the original poster in this thread.

If the OP wants to raid with out voice chat, that their prerogative. As already stated above on this thread, there is at least one guild that feels the same way as the OP does.

Why anybody feels the needs to come in to this thread and bash the OP for that is beyond me. If you prefer voice chat on raids then fine. Don't hate the OP for not preferring it.
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  2. Risiko Augur

The OP said that he is looking for a guild on Agnarr. The Agnarr server will never get the OoW expansion.
  3. Drakkal Elder

Absolutely agree with the OP on this. I was also in one of the top raiding guilds for my server back in the day from release through Omens of War and we used nothing but /rsay, without even the slightest issue. It's strange to me that it has turned into some must have for people to raid anymore, it's not like these fights have gotten harder, quite the opposite.

I despise having to listen to people talk rather then the game or at the very least music of my choosing. It would be nice if Discord had some type of music/sound interruption when push to talk was used, so at least then I could listened to something else in between comments. On the bright side, I have listened in to several guilds on Agnarr raiding and a few of them have very good Discord raid etiquette. I would ask around once you figure out what type of guild you want to be in.
  4. AgentofChange Augur

I wouldn't want to raid with someone who doesn't use voice chat. Some other guild can carry you I'm sure.
    McJumps and PathToEternity like this.
  5. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I tend to agree voice chat is a crutch. If people aren't bad, you shouldn't need it.

If he doesn't want to raid with it, feel free. I raided from PoP-VoA without required voice chat. From around SoD-VoA we had it but it wasn't a requirement to be in it or listen during raids. Most all raids can be explained in raid chat pretty easily. Just compartmentalize and only tell people/channels what they need to know.
  6. jeskola pheerie

Hey, I live in Idaho. *Checks beard in mirror*

Why don't you just tell the guild you are deaf? Then you don't have to join the voicechat.
  7. Febb Augur

Voice chat is very annoying if you don't set up some rules during raids. During an actual encounter only the raid leaders should be talking and only emergencies should be announced from non raid leaders. I used to boot people from my voip server and out of the raid if people couldn't shut up about stuff that had nothing to do with the raid. Outside of raids, if I was on the server, I only joined channels with less than 6 people. More than that, people usually talk over each other and you get several people constantly changing the subject.
    Chatoyan and PathToEternity like this.
  8. MakingSense New Member

Not harping on OP here -- but this is an excellent point. Sometimes it's not the voice chat that is the exact problem but rather how people are using it. Although you can't see the faces of the people you're chatting with and you're not in the same room, it's very easy for the outspoken individuals to set the tone and mood for the guild. On top of some people being verbally abusive.

Even as someone who likes to make jokes and chat with others, I've had to stop myself before making some comment during a raid and ask myself "Do 60 other people really need to hear this?" Unfortunately, most people don't get that far before they open their mouth.
    MBear likes this.
  9. Kahna Augur

I have actually left a guild because their voice chat rules were too strict. Absolutely no chatter on raids what so ever. I get no chatting on a big pull, but if people can't shoot the breeze a little while clearing trash why on earth are we even raiding together. I raid to enjoy the company of my guild mates, the encounters are easy and the loot is meh so what is the point if not to kill dragons with people you enjoy spending time with.

Strict voice chat guild felt like a job. Guild was boring with zero personality. Didn't help that the only time people logged into voice chat was for raids. I'm not even a chatty person, but the chatter helps me to get to know folks, to know the guild. Yeah, there is the occasional annoying guy, welcome to life. To each his own I suppose, but a no voice chat guild would put me to sleep.
  10. AlaskaJay Lorekeeper

Is doing content and getting loot or having a guild who you enjoy spending time with more important?

Figure this out and then search accordingly. Not exactly difficult so long as you know where your personal priorities are. I personally think typing is for plebs and want nothing to do with even groups unless there is someone else in the group I am in Discord with. I have personally left a guild on Agnarr already because no one bothered to be in comms outside of raids. People would just be off doing their own thing 90% of the time not even talking in guild chat. Assuming they are even online outside of raid nights in the first place. Waste of space raid loggers.

Know what you want and go out there and find it. If nothing is out there that suites you make a guild yourself. Either way good luck to you.
  11. Brumans Augur

Yep!

I love having voice chat. As well as quicker and more efficient communication, I enjoy shooting the and getting to know people better. A lot more personality can come through that way (we all know how hard it is to convey emotion/intent over text).

But hey, if you don't want it, AlaskaJay has hit the nail on the head. Find one that fits what you want, or start a guild yourself. Do recognize that it'll be challenging to find enough people that want a serious raid guild without voice chat though.
  12. Risiko Augur

I can understand someone not wanting to deal with voice chat. I completely believe that voice chat makes raiding (and grouping) a lot easier, but at the same time, I've gotten very annoyed with guilds in the past due to some of the people in voice chat on raids.

Out of almost every guild I have been in over the years, the following personalities have been in every one of them that comes off annoying (at least to me) in the raid voice chat:
    1. The know it all jerk that thinks everybody else is less intelligent then him/her
    2. The drunk that just wont shut the hell up
    3. The over bearing person that thinks that everybody needs to know how everything needs to be done no matter if they are right or wrong (and is almost always wrong)
    4. The person that bought everything they needed (and wanted) in game with real world money (thank you Kronos) and can't for the life of them understand why anybody has any difficulty getting anything in the game because you know you suck if you don't have best in slot items on every character you have
    5. The raid leader / officer that makes everybody feel like they are wasting his/her time and talks down to everyone
    6. The troll that replies to every single valid question with Google it or some other 1 word response that helps no one
    7. The place-current-activist-bandwagon-here follower that wants to make sure that everybody knows how much their beliefs suck if they don't match their's.
    The list goes on. Seriously. Out of the large pool of great people to play with in these games, the truly annoying ones always seem to be the ones that make their presence known as soon as you give them a stage to perform on (aka voice chat).

There is something to be said about being able to separate the player from the character in these games. Sometimes you just don't want to know the player behind the character because... they're really not worth knowing.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  13. Raltar Augur

Wait a second...what's wrong with Idaho? I'm from Idaho. Wait, are you in my guild?
    jeskola likes this.
  14. Machentoo Augur

I am always surprised by anyone who can find any sort of immersion in this game.

We all run around wearing 6-8 backpacks. You can now, if you want, fill those backpacks with 10000 high quality steel plates each (and yet that doesn't help your armor class.) Alternately, you can pack a bunch of flaming heads into the same backpack as a bunch of flammable materials (take your pick--books, oil, explosive dust) and nothing goes wrong. We can fool otherwise intelligent enemies, even Gods, by flopping on the ground. Our tanks take enough physical damage every minute that the pain and suffering ought to give them severe psychological trauma (if voice chat gives immersion, there should be a lot more screaming and cries of agony!) As a rogue, I plunge my daggers into my enemies' backs something like 3 times a second on average for several hours each night, but never have to wash off the blood, and my arms never get tired. The list goes on and on. Even D&D rules were pretty far from reality at times, and Everquest has taken it to a whole new level in some places in the interests of better playability. or simply due to the inherent limitations of computer based games.

If anyone can find the game immersive, God bless you.
    Chatoyan and Genoane like this.
  15. Semah Augur

Stop destroying my great puns with your superior reading comprehension. :-(
    Kattria Minx and Risiko like this.
  16. Machentoo Augur

I know at least one guild defeated OoW on Fippy with no voice chat. It sure helps, but it isn't necessary. Especially if you use gina.
  17. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Hey what guild was this, just in case I ever need to leave mine? Sounds like heaven!
  18. Rovell Elder

We are very strict with our voicecoms in Resolute. When it's raid time, it's raid time and chatter is at a minimum, especially on new(er) content on official raids. Unofficial raids, the level of chatter varies based on the tolerance of that particular raid's leader. We make no apologies for it, we've been criticized by some apps as being boring, but to be able to hear clear/concise directives is more important to us.
  19. Ckador Augur

Yeah, voice-chat is possibly the worst thing to ever happen with video games.
  20. Renshu Augur

Your lists never stop on here. Seriously.
    Garmr likes this.