Aradune a GM enforced no box server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kenshin11, Mar 23, 2020.

1. jiri_ Augur

It's a lot, but the buying and selling numbers are definitely inflated. There's a lot of arbitrage and daytrading happening, so the same krono may get bought and sold a dozen times before it's eventually turned into a piece of gear.
  2. Sethisto Elder

I would 100% be in favor of this. Boxing is an absolute blight on EQ. The game THRIVES when people are grouping up with other people to accomplish tasks. When half those people are boxes it's nowhere near as good as when it's a full group of individual people doing things. Truebox does absolutely nothing to stop entire groups of boxes running around locking everything down. Just do away with it entirely. Let the boxers go wild on their box server and spare this one.
    Zansobar likes this.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

Says who? EQ from 20 years ago?
    ajschliewe and Skuz like this.
  4. jiri_ Augur

I think you have to make a distinction between boxes and bots. There aren't many people running six clients on six computers and locking down content for long periods. That's not a boxing problem; that's an automated play problem, and it's only worse on TLPs because they have more RMTs and higher populations than any single live server.

Sure, most times a box isn't as productive as a player. And the atmosphere is better with six players. But if you miss that first rush of population, some players who want to play certain classes are out of luck unless they've got a guild or boxes. When GoD drops on Mangler, how are you supposed to level a berserker without a tank and a healer? You aren't going to find those players organically at that stage of the server's lifespan.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

From experience & knowledge of the game & the company running it.

If P99 is so amazingly non-cheat, non-box, non-3rdpartysoftware, non-RMT, 100% non-corrupt then why are you even here?

I mean, such a P99 fanboi clearly belongs on a P99 server right?

I never cheated in this game in my 14 years of playing, but yes I box, I do not use any 3rd party software to help me box, I don't even use Mouse without Borders let alone the other programs, I operate 3 separate computers by hand only taking advantage of the in game autofollow function - do you seriously think something is wrong with that?

I make a group the moment I log in & if I see a guildie I believe needs help on their main I will get them in & help them level/aa/quest - that group would not have happened without me boxing in the first place, so stuff your misplaced self-righteousness.
    I box out of necessity mostly, on older servers there is a far smaller player count, there is also next to zero Pick up grouping going on, I could sit around for hours upon hours trying to MAKE a group & even longer if I was just wanting to join one, it's one of the big reasons Mercenaries were introduced, Cliques exist, old friendships established over 2 decades exist & I do not have the arrogance to expect people to think I am so amazing they simply must have me in their group, clique, inner circle, friendship, I am self-sufficient & like being so.

You can't guarantee a damn thing, if you said it was your strongly held belief I would say that would be fair comment.

Right, so Daybreak wouldn't be losing sub revenue at all...totally ignorant of the economic reality and the complexity of the actual situation, now I don't like cheaters either but automation on live servers is "tolerated" most of it does not negatively impact on most of the player-base, much of it does help support the game, there's a world of difference between benign automation of some tasks while you are actively at the keyboard & malevolent full-automation running characters while there is nobody in attendance of them.
  6. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

This thread is hilarious. I told you'll that boxers would ruin the truebox TLP and not go on the boxer friendly TLP. Servers aren't even out yet and a bunch of boxers are doing everything they can to ruin the truebox server.

Like DBG is already giving you what you claim to want. How about not ruining the other server with your opinions.

Private server typically get much less players despite being free to play. People who play EQ can afford the small monthly fee and those that can't easily have the time to farm a Krono a month. No boxing is a rule that a large amount of EQ players want which is one of the reasons p99 is so popular. If people want to box no reason they can't play on their boxing server. No reason for DBG to have both server for the vocal minority
  7. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Can one AFK mage lockdown Efreeti in classic?
    Can 3 people 6 boxing lockdown Efreeti for 8 hours a day each at different times?

Boxing has much more potential to lock people out of content which what the entire problem is.

It's clearly a problem with both and frankly boxing is actually a bigger problem then botting 1 toon.
  8. Moforyguy12345 Augur

Saying people should just go play P99 isn't accurate because P99 has 2 major issues that prevent people from staying long. Quality of Life and corpse runs just creates a lot more time wasting and frustration. They almost got it perfect but for me corpse runs are too much.
  9. Geoff Journeyman

Did they shut him down or did the money dry up on that server? He disappeared in the Post GOD time frame? along with most of the players.
  10. LordDragon New Member

A lot of people don't want to be forced to buy their gear, they appreciate earning it in a group. I think a no-box server would be wildly popular. When someone is caught violating it, they don't even have to have their accounts banned, they can simply be permanently banned from the no-box server. I bet it would be so popular you could set it on a separate subscription with no krono and people would pay to play. That ought to cover the cost of extra GMs to enforce the rules.

You could also prolong the life of the server by releasing with one character slot, then open another one up in every expansion that includes a new race or a new class.
  11. Zansobar Augur

I could put up with corpse runs, I wouldn't like it but I could put up with it...what I can't is no instanced raids. Without instanced raids, unless you are privileged to be in one of the few top guilds on the server you are not going to be raiding.

If P99 had the same death penalty as TLP servers, had much better XP gain, and had instanced raid content, I would be over there, even with the issues with the P99 devs. But without instanced raids P99 is just a server to screw around on and not take too seriously.
  12. birisu Elder

I see people on the forums complain about boxers but not once have I ever seen anyone turn down an out of group healer or a box team porting in to help someone out with a quest. Usually people seem pretty happy for the help. I don't think people want a no box server. I think they just want daybreak to ban the obvious AFK farmers
  13. PirateLordCarroll Journeyman

Dont see how making one server that is no bots no box no cheating,will destroy the entire game and make no money.
  14. code-zero Augur

Because it's a waste of time and resources.
  15. Wyxx999 New Member

Forget boxing or no boxing. I'd like to see and would pay extra for a server that had ANY GM customer service available like it was back in the day.
  16. jiri_ Augur

No, one mage can't lock down Efreeti in classic. But bot armies can and do. Why lock down Efreeti manually for six hours when it's so much easier to do it with automation?

Frankly, I don't care much what someone does, as long as they're playing the character. One character or six, it doesn't matter to me, as long as they're pushing all the buttons.
  17. PirateLordCarroll Journeyman

I want a server with no boxer, afk, or cheaters. You guys got plenty of servers to cheat on, play with ur self, run a bunch of laptops in a corner, and bot. Why is it that u get a sever where u run 46 bots, and I am wrong cause I don't want to compete we people who think it's fun to fill a room up with computers to play everquest.
  18. Arrk Augur

Just disable /follow on the server...

That would be 98% effective and doesn't cost anything...

Then police the 2%...
    PirateLordCarroll likes this.
  19. jiri_ Augur

Disabling /follow predominantly hurts people who are playing multiple characters on separate computers. It does nothing to the people who are actually cheating, which is a really stupid way to go. And disabling follow is probably an enormous amount of dev work, what with the age of the client.
    Skuz and HoodenShuklak like this.
  20. PirateLordCarroll Journeyman

That sounds like a good start.