Anything like EQ

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Aurastrider, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Yimin Augur

I play two games EQ and FallOut and they can't be more differnt then each other ...But FallOut is what i play when not playing EQ

YiMin
  2. Captain Video Augur

For a traditional single-player cRPG experience which should be able go give you the same warm fuzzies as old-school EQ, I would recommend... Morrowind. It even starts you out with clickable barrels!
    There is now an open-source rework of the MW game engine for Android; you have to supply the data files from a licensed copy of the game, but it will run AOK on a high-end phone or tablet. Skyrim is also a good choice, with the caveat that it takes a lot more horsepower to run at decent framerate, and it can be hard at times to keep track of the main quest line, IMHO. It can be argued that you can do worse than working through the complete Bethesda RPG library, i.e. all of Elder Scrolls and all the Fallouts.

I'll also +1 for NWN1. The original single-player campaign is short and weak, the two expansions are marginally better, and there was some good paid DLC which you can still get individually or as a bundle. NWN's strength lies in the plethora of user-created campaign content using its bundled editing tools, and some of that is very high quality. Fan forums will give you recommendations for top-rated campaigns. There are still quite a few people playing multiplayer (parties of six) NWN on private servers.

The first and third entries in the Dragon Age series are worth a mention, but DA2 was a lemon, IMHO. The third game, Inquisition, is huge and also requires EA Origin.

On the Diablo-style ARPG front, nothing else comes close to Path of Exile. Oodles of content, devs are very active (2 GB patches every couple of weeks can get mildly annoying :)), and it's a true F2P through endgame. Only runs on Steam. Torchlight I+II have been very popular, it's a more simplified Diablo-style system with fewer classes but more items. RHI their devs are working on a new MMO in the Torchlight universe.

The indie RPG market is going strong, with particular emphasis on the rogue-like genre. Take a look at things like Unexplored, Darkest Dungeon, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, In Celebration of Violence, Dungeons of Chaos, Chronicon, CrossCode, Tangledeep... I could go on and on here. :)
    IblisTheMage and Quatr like this.
  3. Archatius New Member

Divinity Original Sin 2 is the game you are looking for.
    slayerofbats likes this.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

Thanks all for the replies. I will have to keep these in mind when I have some free time. I decided to take a break from gaming for the most part and use that time picking up extra shifts at work and doing some major projects around the house. EQ truly has an amazing community of players that I look forward to returning to in the near future when real life settles down.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. PraimFaya Journeyman

Some games that i tinker with on and off are..

Fallout 4
    Fallout New Vegas
    Divinity 2
    Farcry Primal
    Skyrim
    Elder Scrolls Online
    No Mans Sky
    Super Techmo Bowl
    Faxanadu
    Deus Ex - the original is one ofmthe best single player games ever in my opinion

Of all those though if you want to feel like EQ and use a shield, cast spells, do quests and kill dragons then Skyrim is probably for you.
  6. Geroblue Augur

I am very old school... if I want to play a character with shield, cast spells, have a neat long sword, etc. I play paper and pencil ad&d.