Any word on when Account to Account transfers will be available?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zobac, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Zobac New Member

Any update on when Account to Account transfers will be available again?

Trying to decide if I keep waiting or just bite the bullet and level up another character on a separate account.
  2. Protagonist Tank

3. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Pretty sure I read it has been pushed back to 2 weeks after never.
  4. Loze Elder

The rumor is that the person that knew how that system worked is no longer with the company and they can't figure out how to get it working again.

That being said, the minute you max level the new toon, they'll announce that account to account transfers are now fixed.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I have leveled up 5 characters since a year after it went down. I gave up early on based on what they said about not able to do it in 2018 - From Roxxly who is no longer with the company "I tried to push this again recently, but we don't have a wealth of resources to get transfers done manually or to quickly create a tool to do it for us."

When J.Chan was asked about these transfers in a recent interview she scrunched up her face in an attempt to understand what transfers she was being asked about and then stated there are no plans to bring transfers back.

At 0:1:30

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/704467915?filter=highlights&sort=time
  6. Kujoe Lorekeeper

people pay for each of these transfers, and would likely pay a decent amount to avoid leveling or paying for PL in game for a new toon. Either I am woefully underestimating the demand for this serve, or it must be totally fubar if the revenue from account-account transfers is less than the cost of allocating an employee to create a new method or sort out the old method.

But, I have come to the realization that account-account transfers will likely be a new feature announced soon after Pantheon announces their release date, to try to keep the player base engaged on EQ, along with a FV TLP server, real enforcement of automated play detection and punishment, and a fix to the problem of levitating over the wall in PoF.
  7. jeskola pheerie

[IMG]
    yerm likes this.
  8. Karanthal Augur

From the outside it seems like a simple thing. Linking a character ID in 1 table to a different user account in another. I guess given the legacy code and changes it's not that simple.
  9. Protagonist Tank

Until relatively recently, EQ character information was stored in a flat file.

Never underestimate how terrible it must be to work with this game's history.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  10. Mesozoic_mangler Scholar

I feel like if they brought this back and even said "Ok it's $60 now." people would pay it.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

And they would still need 1,000 transfers to get their money back on the dev work. Not 1,000? /shrug Pick a number.
  12. Mesozoic_mangler Scholar

I mean, the problem can't be so monumental it's 60,000 dollars worth of dev time... Maybe $4k or 5k from some contractor.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

I'll take that bet.
    Iyacc likes this.
  14. a_librarian Augur

I'll do it for $3.9k
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

1- Do a search before you ask questions. This has been asked and answered many times. **(edit But don't you dare necro a thread :rolleyes: )**

2- They won't ever 'contract this out', It involves Personal Account Information.

3- Because it involves personal account information it requires a dev that is allowed to view that. Manually, a nightmare. Coding an automated tool will require at least opening and looking around in the account database. Again, it has to be someone allowed to view personal customer information.

4- The coding and cost to build are not the biggest roadblocks. But it doesn't seem like they have ever had an interest in doing this again. I'd look to their motivations to NOT do it, for your answer.

5- There are a ton of things they could make money from they choose not to. 'Leaving money on the table' has never been a concern for them, as far as I can tell.
    Skuz and CatsPaws like this.
  16. Machen New Member

This. It's a relatively easy source of revenue for them. They know how much it made for them previously (quite a bit I suspect, I've personally xferred a dozen characters or more over the years and know many people who have done likewise.) Either they have a financial incentive we can't easily see to avoid doing it, or they just have so much on their plate and so little time/resources available that they can no longer pluck even low hanging fruit like this.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Sigh. I guess this will sound like the disgruntled Player Studio guy, because I guess I still am.

But I have seen a number of player studio items from myself and others, that made it all the way into the pak files. All the needed elements that we are aware of already in-game. But never put on the marketplace.

Begged and pleaded over years to have them added. Get told "they're low sellers" (ugh their famous quote for everything).

I still get my checks, and saw an uptick with the recent things we all saw bring some people back. My robes still sell, at a steady pace, a fraction of the heyday but they still do.

Come to find out in an 'ama' that they haven't had a 3d modeler on staff this whole time, and just got one.

It shouldn't even be related but who knows.

I see the 'new guy' is making items now. Good for them, they get to keep 100% of those profits, and probably pay the artist jack squat.

In addition I honestly think, they really, literally lost the ability to do certain things after certain people were laid off. And even with the company division split up, neither Daybreak, nor Darkpaw have ever re-staffed to do even some basic things.

In that state, taking money from the 'unsavory types' becomes just mo' money I assume.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

That is almost certainly the case with account transfers. I recall hearing that the person who did the transfers (and wrote the code/scripts to do it) left and that knowledge was lost, along with whatever code was needed.
  19. modsiw Augur

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.

When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

That is a story I had heard and mentioned around here more than once.

The way I heard it, they still have the code, it runs within an environment/shell that they no longer support.

My suspicion is: because it accesses a database with personal customer information, they were no longer allowed to run it, because it was no longer 'secure' based on their new rules after the attacks on Sony that gained data about employees of SOE.

They have never disputed that, to my knowledge.

And we know manifestly it was once done, and now no longer is, with no indication they care to even consider it.