Any repetitive stress injury solutions to all that clicking

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

When I was in the last stage of recovery for my broken shoulder (my dominant arm, of course), I found it easier to play EQ than EQ2. That played a big part in my returning to the game after being gone for years. My sweetie plays EQ2 and I had been away from that game, too, for years so that's why I tried it first.
  2. Tucoh Augur

The most stressful keystroke game I've played recently is weaver in GW2 where the number of simultaneous keystrokes and total apm is massive. I decreased the stress by buying USB foot pedals and using them for attunement switching (which is done every few seconds like a piano rhythm.)

[IMG]
  3. Graag Baash New Member

Great thread!
    Thanks for starting this thread, as someone who plays a "pulling" class I don't see much of a solution to mousing around the screen and clicking to select mobs. Maybe I'm not doing keyboard cycling correct but the mouse click seems mandatory for those situations.

One note about using braces/wristguards: if possible please talk to a professional physical therapist before you start using them. There's a fine line between using them to help and the the brace itself causing problems. A brace can create weakness in other supporting muscles which can cause other problems and hurt in the long term.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Sweet. I wonder if I could integrate those in my DAW (digital audio workstation). There are three on one USB plug (to the right)?
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You are very welcome. I ordered a vertical mouse and am just waiting for delivery. Never heard of them before they were mentioned here but I can see how they might be better to use re: RSI
  6. Strawberry Augur

Just to be sure, make sure you use /autoskill when possible. There are still many people unaware of this functionality because it was added late in EQ.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I have the first ten extended target window slots mapped to my keyboard. I try to use the keyboard more than the mouse.
  8. Tucoh Augur

Rijacki and MasterMagnus like this.
  9. Thunderkiks Augur

Quit eating grains :)
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

AFK killing should do the trick but yea game has too much clicking trying doing overseer with 1600+ agents and your converting down lol.
  11. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Very cool, never heard of these before!

I switched to using a thumb trackball way back when I was playing Star Wars Galaxies (after I left EQ originally, about a year before EQ2 launched) and having issues with all the mousing for tradeskills there. Once I got used to it, I never went back. It's hilarious, though when, in the office at work, someone goes to try to use my "mouse" to show me how something works and then freaks out because it doesn't work that way. I also need considerably less room for my trackball than for a mouse.
    MasterMagnus and Windance like this.
  12. Zunnoab Augur

I'll echo the stretching advice. In early 2011 I had some serious twangy shocks shooting up my wrist/arm sometimes and someone in my guild taught me a few anti-carpal tunnel stretches and it went away. I'm not super diligent but my wrists feel noticably looser after doing them, especially the pulling the fingers back while making a stop sign and holding for a while (and upside down too) and pushing a fist down ones.
  13. Windance Augur

Do you have a link with pictures ? I would like to try them but your description fails to do it justice.
  14. Zunnoab Augur

I didn't know about the first one, but the second and third (especially the second) immediately make my wrists feel looser.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Windance like this.
  15. tanith Augur

In a similar vein, I do piano 5 finger exercises (you don't need a piano or to be able to play one) - as in this video except lift fingers up high after each 'strike' as your aim is to exercise rather than play, do varying speeds, just a few times a day, whenever you think of it, tapping any flat surface works

Nennius likes this.
  16. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

IMO the issue is more the fact that the controller manufacturers have made the controllers harder to customize. I had a controller back in 2008 to like 2010 that I was able to setup for use easily and quickly to do everything I needed in EQ. One stick mapped to the mouse, the other to movement keys, set keys to do button presses, mouse presses, the scroll wheel, everything. But then when that controller died and I need to replace it, there were no controllers that did all of those things. They were all less capable than they had previously been. You could not just straight up map most of the commands, you had to go and do three or four different things that simulated the effect. You could also buy some 3rd party software, but they didn't necessarily work with every controller, and even then you could not get the same effect.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would you ever give up a full keyboard in a game that you will be needing it to communicate with other players?
  18. Strawberry Augur

Many players use Discord nowadays.

It's not like your keyboard is gone when people use gamepads, you can still grab it.

Many people play PC games with controllers too nowadays.

Mouse and keyboard were really never designed for gaming. They were designed to type text and to get around in text. It's no wonder they give people RSI when they game with them.
  19. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I have wondered how many players use discord, ventrillo, etc. during the normal play sessions. It would probably be neat to have voice integrated into the game as a option.
  20. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I should probably play around with one of those because I am one of those arrow key players for movement. I am constantly sliding my hand back and forth which is inefficient...but habits :(