Any point in playing if you dont box?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cataclysmic, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Cataclysmic New Member

I'm a former old school player from launch/kurnak. Not into the idea of having 2 computers or characters, but enjoy grouping with others for good loot. Is there any point in me starting on a progression server? Am i already behind the curve? Any character class tips for a non boxer or any other tips gratefully received.
  2. Tucoh Augur

From my experience as someone catching up after waiting for the servers to get better, most people on Aradune aren't boxing. There are still lots of people rolling new characters and lots of grouping opportunities.
    Bailen, Cataclysmic and Dexxeaa00 like this.
  3. Imyur New Member

There is a very large portion of player base on Aradune that does not box. And from what I've seen most people that do box, will bump their box for a live player, though not all. If you're old school EQ then you remember that you do have to /lfg at times. People willing to start groups tend to have a lot easier time than those that sit around waiting for them. You are not 'behind the curve' except to compare yourself to those that measure their epeen by how fast they get to 50 and kill raid bosses. If you want to enjoy old school EQ experience, I have not seen as good a server as Aradune since original EQ days. And I have tried several TLP servers over the years. This is the best they've made yet.
    Vinlail and Cataclysmic like this.
  4. kjempff Elder

The good:
    Now that the first month is over, a bunch will quit and come back when there is actual content to do, so the queue problem should dissipate. Also for an anti-boxing religious there never was a more fitting server (Aradune).
    The bad:
    Now that the first month is over and the player base is top-heavy, there will be less low level groups, and those who stay will be powerleveling alts because that is the only thing to do in classic.
    The indifferent:
    People will throw twink items at you, give you with high level buffs (you can choose to see this as good or bad). With 3 months of unlock between expansions half the players will have exhausted the content long before that, the other half will be happy with the pace or do a million alts (which half are you?).

In any case, come and play until it is not fun anymore .. it is just a game, your characters are nothing but electrons flowing through transistor gates.
  5. JustDarryl Journeyman

If I could interject for a moment, may I suggest to you playing a Necromancer, a ghastly class that commands undead to do your bidding, with dark magic you can slow your enemies down significantly and damage them, all the while staying at a great distance!

I like to do this while listening to great books on tape, If I may, I suggest checking out Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Great narration by Wil Wheaton! 15 hours and 40 minutes of ear-tertainment while you blast those dastardly computer generated enemies with poison, fire, and disease magics!

But what do I know, I'm just Darryl.
    Cataclysmic likes this.
  6. Zansobar Augur

Aradune is an extremely popular (high population) server with less boxing than is normal on TLPs due to the extra GM enforcement. I would not recommend playing on Rizlona (the boxers heaven server) if you don't want to box.
  7. Tucoh Augur

This aspect is funny.

Making your level 1 character:
    "I can't wait to experience that low level weak feeling as I transition slowly into power through grueling effort. I want to feel that struggle again!"

Two levels later when stepping into commonlands, getting chloroplast + shield of thorns and watching black bears explode when they touch you:
    [IMG]

I rolled a dru/mag duo last night and got ahold of some clarity. Here's a vid I made of the result in west freeport:
  8. kit74 Lorekeeper

What GM presences...
  9. Tucoh Augur

They've been hitting people. It's all clandestine though which is a huge mistake.

If it were up to me anytime someone got banned (or even suspended) the GMs would post it publicly on a thread here along with all the characters on that account and the guilds those characters are in.
  10. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Should also include their home address, and the name of their kids.
    Tucoh likes this.
  11. sirelothar New Member

Most people don't box here that I've run into and personally don't box at all. No problems finding groups on Aradune.
  12. Sikkun Augur

FFXIV doesn’t go that far, but I do enjoy that they publish the numbers of how many accounts they have banned/suspended.
  13. Fluid Augur

As has been stated, even solo is not a problem when you get some high level buffs. Mostly running Druids so it's what I am most familiar with. #1 buff is 'Share Form of the Great Wolf' as it lasts hours, gives run speed and attack bonuses. The others like the thorn shield line are good but short acting. Standard Druid shield buffs are inferior to the same from an equivalent level Cleric. For head knocker types, I add a hit point regeneration spell like Chloroplast.

Other types that give out long lasting spells are Shaman, Enchanter, high level Ranger. Understand if you can get the short duration spells like Magician fire shields they are great, it just that they only last a ~8 minutes vs hours.

Also chug a lot of potions from the market place. For magic tossers they are indispensable. You can get a 4 hour Clarity type potion for 90 cents that persists through death. I was recently in a group where my Magician's pet ended up doing most of the tanking because we were short on plate mail types and only had a Shaman to do the healing. Only way to keep up with healing the pet was to chug a Clarity potion as the Shaman was busy buffing and slowing.

If it was me, I would check out Aradune and if you don't have problems with connecting and playing, stick there. If you only want to relive some of the old school experience, Rizlona is a good'nuff server. The other TLP servers are advanced which ends up being a mixed bag. You have things like PoK and easy travel which is good. The down side is w/o a guild membership you will hit flat spots like level 50-60 where you won't be able to solo your Epic and not a lot of grouping going on.
  14. Cataclysmic New Member

Thank you for your responses guys really appreciate it. Im gonna give Aradune a go
    Vinlail likes this.
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you don't want to box then playing whatever the newest TLP is your safest bet. On Aradune, you absolutely don't need to box. Attrition starts to really ramp up in Luclin, and boxes start filling in towards the tail en of every expansion, but it's not "necessary" to box until after 65, and necessary is used very loosely.

But in classic? Tons of single boxers.

Give aradune a try, assuming the server is playable, but not rizlona because that is the boxing server and, while not a bad option, obviously has (a lot) more boxing by design.
  16. Jaime Lannister Augur

I don't box. Got level 50 grouping just fine. There's only about 3 or 4 items I could upgrade via group/solo content, everything else would require raids.

So yeah, pretty easy to hop in and gear yourself up.