Any news on new TLP?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by beefeater_dp, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Machen New Member

There is an argument to be made here, because people didn't actually quit for the most part at Gates on Fippy. It just didn't happen. There was some attrition just like every other expansion, but we had roughly the same # of guilds doing OOW content as we had doing POP content.
  2. Moonsilver New Member

Please for the love of god make a no krono server
  3. Machen New Member

This will never happen.

You might as well ask for a no profit server.
  4. Hateseeker Augur

How many people reading this thread would commit to play on a server where krono can be traded, but krono subs just don't enable playing there?

My guess is that some folks would indeed choose to pay direct subs to play there, knowing that, if there are mage armies content blocking so that they can be the only ones selling valuable loot for krono, at least they will be paying actual recent money for their subs rather than just expending 30 krono out of hundreds they have banked.

The question is, would enough people play there to make it profitable to open the server? And yes, there will be cries of "you said I could use krono on any server! False advertising!". Unless Daybreak purposely envisioned krono to be a motivator to content block, that's one bait and switch that would be for the good of the many at the expense of the few.
  5. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

There was a decent population on The Combine all the way to Seeds of Destruction, 4 or 5 raiding guilds at that point from what I remember. Some people will quit as they always do but I think people exaggerate that the server basically dies after PoP. Yes a decline happens but it's not that bad.
  6. Strawberry Augur

ew

yeah..no...I don't think anyone wants even more power given to krono
  7. Galleyan Augur

An interesting proposal. I like it. I doubt it will happen, but definitely a neat idea.

I would be perfectly happy with a Phini ruleset where they actually use the kronos to help pay for server costs and upgrades. :rolleyes:
  8. Aghinem Augur

That is the same question I have. What would be the point starting on a new server having to regain all that stuff anyway when you can repeatedly do it with rollbacks on the same server. Its no different than when people would create 8 toons on the same server to live the experience 8 different times.

I understand what you are saying by the way, don't get me wrong - and I appreciate you elaborating further on your thoughts. Having done game development, I work from a very practical mindset - with efficiency being key. This really just boils down to a difference of opinion and preference.

The one thing I know for certain is everyone has their own perception of what a perfect TLP server should be, based on their past experience on EverQuest from 1999-2003; the issue though, everyone's memory is different on how classic EverQuest actually was. Again, perception. This is why you will always have in-fighting within the TLP community.

With that said, I again thank you for responding with your thoughts. Cheers!
  9. Hdizzle Augur

Ragefire with Instancing.
    Old Man likes this.
  10. Kiani Augur

No, not at all, but you could be forced to go back if the vote goes that way, even when you don't want to. At least with votes going forward, no-one actually loses out. People whine about wanting to go back to classic, but it's still there. There's little that you can't do (a few revamped zones) if you want to.

Oh right, it doesn't actually force me to lose xp and gear... it just means I can't play the toon unless I do. Great, that makes it so much better.

Well, I can't ever see a vote like that passing in practice. People often vote for stuff then realise that what they asked for isn't fun when they get it... but even then, I still can't see more than a handful of people voting to actually go backwards.

Well, there's no one server that suits everyone, that's true. And there'll always be people who like a particular server's ruleset with one or two exceptions. Most people on Phinigel would love higher XP, for example, but they like the rest of the ruleset enough to keep playing there. I'm sure a lot of people on Ragefire would like instances, without losing the ability to box. Etc, etc. Everyone likes slightly different things, so you can't suit everyone all the time.

We'll never go back to exactly how it was... but there are other places that are much much closer than any TLP that DBG has released. Good luck to them.
  11. Deadshade Augur

This demonstrates again the deep misunderstanding about what a "healthy population" of a server means for different parties .
    4-5 raiding guilds that's some 100-150 people .
    Is that healthy ?

For those who raid and then raid some more, yes .
    For Daybreak ? Probably not considering that it makes hardly 1k $ / month .
    For the casuals and those who don't like to raid ? Definitely no . For them the server is a ghost town .

So now what is happening is that at launch of a TLP - Fippy, Ragefire, Phinny it has always been the same thing - there are more than 1000 players .
    As usual X hardcore raiding and racing guilds still making 150-200 players AND a vastly more important number of 1000 + players who are casuals playing anywhere between 5 and 15 hours a week .

And it is this last category that is being attrited - by PoP, latest GoD it becomes basically 0 .
    Whether the raiding guilds are still there (they are) is completely irrelevant, for the casuals the decline is not only bad , it is catastrophical .
    As these players were the vast majority of the server at release, the overall population became also badly attrited from the point of view of Daybreak come the eras PoP-GoD .
    Personnaly if I have unsubbed, it is because I clearly noticed that most of like minded people have basically disappeared between launch and now .
    For instance on Fippy I had to look for a "family" (e.g non raiding) guild 4 times because they all had to be disbanded for lack of members between Luclin and GoD . After the 4th guild death I left too .

It is only the players of the raiding guilds who don't notice anything because they live in a totally different game environment .
  12. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Everquest has always been a top heavy game, it has been this way since I started playing in Kunark. As a solo casual player, unless you can keep up with the rest of the population you will get left behind. This is where you should be in a guild and your guild should be banding together to help their players level. A big casual guild helps in this area. I've played in a casual guild as an officer for many years and I've played in hardcore raiding guilds for many years and the formula is usually the same, it all boils down to your guild to help get people leveled up. If your guild can't help you then find a guild that will or yell at the leadership of your guild to do something. In a situation like that the leadership of your guild needs to form an alliance with other casual guilds and create a chat channel for people looking for group. This is the only way casual guilds can survive that doesn't have the population to support their own members.

The devs have watched these types of issues unravel out on the servers of the years at lower levels and introduced a big boost in player power, mercs and gave a huge experience curve to help push lower level people into the top levels. However to an inexperienced player, EQ is not easy to jump in and get where you want to, especially on a progression server.

If the lower levels are barren then it means there is little to no new players coming into the server and the people who have maxed out their characters aren't rolling new alts. If this is the situation then a coalition of guilds needs to come together to help each other out.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

Another guy that totally doesn't get it.
  14. Machen New Member

Uh, not sure where your math is coming from but raiding guilds typically have more than 20 members each. They probably have more like 100-150 people each, more than that once you include alt accounts. And, if we are talking about Fippy in the Gates or Omens era still, it was actually more like ten or eleven raiding guilds, most of them with >100 members.

And, casual/family guilds tend to have more turnover anyway. Just because the ones you are in folded due to lack of players does not mean all the casual players disappeared. They just tend to move around a fair amount. I was in a pretty large non raiding casual guild on an alt during late GoD, so there were still some around.
  15. snailish Augur

Phinny is going to easily have 10 guilds with 100 raiders each tackling content in GoD. That's 1000 paid subs using simplistic math, so a very healthy server. I still contend that most of these people will stay on Phinny because there is no real good reason for them to do classic-Luclin again unless they really don't like the post-PoP raiding game. However, I think most hardcore raider types actually prefer where raiding goes OoW and beyond... this remains one of the main reasons people login to the live game.

At the same time, probably 1000 "not-serious raiders" have quit Phinny or will by OoW. This is the group that starts heavy every progression server but keeps getting lost on the way. I don't believe that 90% of this group "hates PoP and later and won't play it". Rather, I think server conditions have always led to this attrition: too fast expac eras, unlocks set by a few top guilds triggering them, voting, and in the case of Ragefire/Lockjaw box armies.

A "less appealing to serious raiders" server (Phinny 2.0 with 4.5 to 6 month unlocks, Ragefire XP, otherwise Phinny rules) could be a good $ experiment to try with the summer 2017 launch. If people will pay to play on it in large numbers, who cares if it goes at a snail's pace and barely uses endgame content in era compared to other servers?

And in 2018 or so... do a server totally aimed at racing-unlock-raiders, once current TLP show some actual drop in raiding guilds pushing progression.
  16. Stormblossom Elder

I have actually spent a fair amount of time considering this recently. How to get a healthy TLP past the brick wall of pre DoDH gearing. From DoDH on there is a lot of fun interesting group content that can be acquired without raiding or insane numbers of LDoN runs. My idea is to add whichever tier vof defiant gear has stats similar to time gear to group content bosses in LDoN at GoD launch. Doing LDoN runs would allow raiders to fill missed slots and group players to gear adequately for GoD content as a 'coming from behind' style advancement. Being in such gear would make the non raid GoD content actually doable for groupers. During OOW do something similar, make OOW group names drop GoD raid tiered gear. It gives group players focus and something to hunt, allows raiders to gear alts as needed, and starts the pattern DoDH established during the content that was the biggest brick wall for casual players on live. Possibly add no-trade tags to cut down on everyone bazaar gearing two weeks in.
  17. nagash101 Augur

jesus, krono and plat are the same.
  18. nagash101 Augur

yup, i agree +1
  19. nagash101 Augur

FV isnt pay to win and kronos and plat are the same thing.
  20. nagash101 Augur

no, no and nope.