Any more news on free Heroic chars during Anniversary?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bronk, Mar 9, 2020.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

That made me think, how could something like that work? They could look at reverse shrouds.

Instead of people shrouding down to ineffective characters to group with lower level people, allow lower level people to shroud UP to the level of the highest person in the group in the form of a merc shroud (only the tools mercs already have), tank, rogue, cleric, wizard mercs.

That might be interesting.
  2. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

Is there generally a time limit on something like this? Or can I hold onto it for a few months before deciding where and how to use it?
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The Freebie HC that you are talking about SOE explicitly stated that they would not remain if you deleted them outside of the free preview period, and they repeated reminded people all over the place of when that free preview period ended. The 2017 free HC they simply gifted everyone who logged in a normal HC upon logging in between March 16 and March 31st (on a related note, it did not state anything about the character only being able to be redeemed once).
    85 is fine. If they are going to make an equivalent for level 100, then it should be a separate item.

Squire system isn't good, and the only people who would even benefit from that would be existing players to level up their boxes, it would be detrimental to new and returning players as they would not know what they are doing. They will be more of a detriment not less, at least when they are in they are lower level they at least KNOW to be careful, when they are not they do more stupid stuff not less.
    An improved shroud down system where higher level players can become their actual class in level appropriate gear, with max skills for the specific levels would be far better. Then the new and returning players can actually learn and relearn their base classes in less stressful and complex environments and the higher level player can still be there to help and guide them.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

There's a few easy ways to do it, but my favorite is just to let them play a merc with merc skills. It wouldn't be OP and serves as a good baseline power level.
  5. Nadisia Augur

Yep, agreed.
    The mentoring in Vanguard SoH was pretty nice on that aspect.

Any character at least 5 levels higher than your character was able to «mentor» you, his level was automaticaly adjusted to your level bracket, and his stuff and skills were adapted accordingly.

And as a mentor, you were still playing your class, with some restrictions, not an ersatz.

Because frankly, the EQ1 shroud system is really clunky.
    You don't play a zerker, or a rogue, or whatever anymore, but a gnoll or a goblin.

And as a side note, personnally, I don't like the EQ shroud skills system, at all.
    No spell bar, only skills picked up from a virtual AA window, it's disturbing imho.
    That's exactly why I never liked the OMM missions, it's awkward and cumbersome to me.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I didn't do them much, but I though that the OMM missions regarding Naggy and Vox were pretty good, they used actual classes and their skills and gear rather than how monster missions and shrouds used monster AAs like you described.

I agree that the shroud system while a good idea was poorly implemented and laid out.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

Anyone who is still playing EQ in 2020 is either a vet or a vet recruited them. I don't feel threatened by a new account or a new player having the vet aa's I enjoy.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Do we need to upgrade our char in the anniversary period, or can we save the heroic upgrade for later use(as long as we log in during the anniversary period)?
  9. Mukkul Augur

If we have both a multi-redemption Heroic character slot (for trying out classes) and a one-use Heroic character slot (for a permanent character) -- how do we choose which of those two types of Heroic slots gets redeemed the next time we create a Heroic character?
    CatsPaws and Jondalar like this.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

In theory, if you try to delete a "one-time use" heroic, you should get a warning about it.

Your question is exactly the reason why I don't think they would screw around with the one-time use characters ever again. The customer service nightmare it would eventually create would be epic.
  11. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Veteran players not in Gold status (paying to play) should be allowed a 21 anniversary bonus of heroic gift. A player with all earned /vet rewards. Due to the new life threatening issue we are facing, we need to save that sub fee and pay for extra real life supplies. No schools, less work, car payments, rent/mortgage payments, baby sitters, food, and so on.
  12. Brilhasti Elder

Do we have to create this heroic during the anniversary period or lose it? Or does the credit stay on our account?
    Benito likes this.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I will echo some of the past questions.
    Are we required to redeem the Heroic Character within the promotional period between March 16 and May 10 or can we keep it in perpetuity?
    Also, will deleting the Heroic Character re-grant the HC claim?
  14. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Hey, lets all ask the same questions 10 times in a row... more likely to get an answer.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Dreamweaver got back to me. You can only redeem the heroic character during the promotional period.

I am now wondering if you can delete the heroic character and get your credit back during the promotional period.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

WHAT?

So if I don't us it during the promotion I lose it?
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yes, at least that is what Dreamweaver replied to me in my DM to him.

18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I think there is a failure to communicate.

It is only CLAIMABLE during this period by logging in. In other words if you log in say, in July it will be gone. But if you log in now you will get the yellow message that says your account was granted that. There is nothing about using it now.

From patch notes: "All players who log in to EverQuest during our 21st Anniversary Celebration will receive a claimable Heroic Character! This character can only be redeemed once per account."

It would make no sense to have to actually claim it and use it since they do not have a way to differentiate between the other heroics. So I have 5 heroics from previous giveaways and purchases on my account then there is no way to tell which this is so I would have to use all 6.

It was stated in other game update notes that is it one time use per account. So does this mean you cannot delete it and make another? As in you used it once and cannot do that. Or does this mean one for each account. It should mean once per account like game notes say but.............

They really need to clarify this stuff. It would help if the full sentences were posted here (which I understand may not be quite kosher) or better yet a post from a Dev clarifying this.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Celephane like this.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I feel like they made a major mistake with the free Heroic Character promotion several years ago. They created "new rules" (only redeemable within the period and you cannot delete) and now it's causing a lot of confusion. They should just apply marketplace-purchased Heroic Character rules to all Heroic Characters.
  20. enclee Augur

They should just give it to every silver and gold account, instead of issuing it on login. There were times in the last 8 years that I wouldn’t have access to login for multiple months or most of the year, based on work. It’s a gift, and would be a greatly appreciated change.