Any Issues with Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by OldSchooler, Jul 29, 2015.

1. OldSchooler New Member

Has anyone had any issues with running EQ after upgrading to Windows 10?

Thanks in advance...
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

3. Christopher New Member

My client is crashing after upgrading on Surface Pro 3 i7. Worked fine on 8.1. Not sure what happened.
  4. chinchey Journeyman

Upgraded from Windows 7. I don't have a tablet nor have any of my computers had Windows 8. I have had no issues with my desktop PC or laptop in running EQ..
  5. Aghinem Augur

6. Endless Augur

Have a windows 7 laptop, worked perfectly before. Crashes and restarts just sitting there doing nothing since upgrading to win10. Googling says it's related to drivers for hardware and I should just open up device manager to update whatever driver shows a problem, but everything looks fine in device manager. Fortunately all I use that laptop for is watching movies, listening to music and googling/information. Was going to upgrade my two desktops I play EQ on, but now will wait and see.
  7. svann Augur

No problem here. Upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and eq runs without any tweeking or reinstalling of anything.
  8. Christopher New Member

No matter what I do I client crash leaving the server select screen. All device drivers seem to be okay. Might have to roll back to 8.1 if it keeps up.
  9. Endless Augur

I was able to fix all my problems that I was having with Windows 10 on my laptop.

First get into Settings--->then Update and Recover---->choose Recovery---->then Go Back to Previous Version------>Mine was Windows 7.

Now my laptop works perfectly again and does everything I want fast.

I did have driver issues for windows 10 on my laptop. There are no drivers for it yet, so for my laptop, no go yet. I think if I had a newer latop or a homebuild desktop, there wouldn't be any problems.
  10. Miso New Member

I love Windows 10 :) (Win 10 64-bit Pro Insider's edition)
    I've been stress testing EQ on Win 10 and have gone for 120+ hours (about 5 days) without a single crash or blue screen.
    On Win 7/8.1 I'd crash/blue screen on an average after 12-20 hours due to some memory leak, initially starting around 1G memory and gradually increasing to around 4GB and then crash.
    On Win 10, while monitoring my memory, no or very limited memory leaks so far.

Test environment 1: Desktop - Core i7 6-core (non-OC'ed) / 16GB Memory / GF 760GTX / 2 128GB SSD's in RAID 0
    Test environment 2 : Desktop - AMD A8 Series 4-core (non-OC'ed) / 4GB Memory / On-Chip GPU / Mechanical HDD
  11. complexication Kassina

The only issue i had with Everquest and Windows 10 was it crashing whenever I zoned. (by crashing, I mean locking my entire system up, killing my display and forcing a reboot)

Then I discovered the Windows 10 NVIDIA driver (353.62) is a piece of crap which was causing the crashing and I had to revert to a windows 7 driver (347.88), and voila! No more problems.
  12. Eluwenie Augur

I learned over time to not buy anything new regarding upgrades to OS's, newer game platforms etc. I'm sticking with Windows 7 for now, I'm sure Microsoft will have a few bugs or patches that need fixed. I don't up and buy the latest and "greatest" out there from the get-go. Once the sun sets on Windows 7, then I'll have no choice but to upgrade to 10. Also for those of you who don't know, Windows 10 is only free for 1 year and then you have to pay for it afterwards. My dad used to tell me "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" runs fine on Windows 7. I did a full HD wipe a month ago or so and reinstalled since I was getting a lot of errors (not in game, but in general). I also took a brave step in looking into the Bios as well, some things needed to be active that weren't. It took me a total of 14 hours to get my desktop computer where it should be without errors. Before that too, I couldn't print out e-mails from Windows Live either, (which I use the most, I didn't care for g-mail and my Yahoo e-mail is used for basically junk mail). Everything is running so much more smoothly now since I did that. But I know everyone has their own preference of what they want in regards to their own set up.
  13. complexication Kassina

Sigh, Windows 10 is free for lifetime of device after the year-long opportunity to upgrade for free.

The sole difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 I've noticed is that updates happen automatically, and that every update to every driver installed on the device is pushed through winupdate.

Aside from this garbage - which was a problem coming from NVIDIA's driver and not Windows, I have had zero problems. All my programs run. Everything I had on my harddrive when I had 7 is still there. I've everything turned off in terms of privacy control and even metered my wifi to prevent auto updating.

But that's just me. I'd rather "fix something that isn't broken" (upgrading isn't a fix) instead of doing what I had to do last time and shell out hundreds of dollars to get a machine that had a processor that could load the internet.
    Behee likes this.
  14. Sindaiann Augur

15. Behee Augur

Nope, as complexication said above everyone who upgrades in the first year stays free for the life of the device.

But your Dad clearly has no idea how software becomes obsolete while malware continues to evolve. Windows 10 is free for a while so people will wake up, take the free upgrade, and be properly protected for the next few years.

The rest of us become victims of obsolete operating systems running malware. Your system is about to be broken, update it for free and save the rest of us a ton of headaches.
  16. Eluwenie Augur

I beg to differ with that argument because as of late Microsoft came out with a statement saying some people are having issues with the upgrade to Windows 10. Those who have those issues are having problems with it restarting over and over. I never buy the "newest and greatest" out there at launch. Also you can opt-out if you choose to, on my end it gave me an option and didn't just do it, I got many e-mails 2 months prior to launch to be opted in and choose to do it or not. With any OS, if you've been with Microsoft OS's since the beginning with 3.x, you'll know that whenever a new one comes out, there is always some bug here or there, that needs tweaked, before it's not going to be a problem. As far as Malware, I have the full paid version of Malwarebytes, so it will detect and know anything before I do. Regarding Windows 10 aside for the other aspects, a friend of mine in the UK said that they noticed they have to download an app to use for their DVD player in order for it to work and it's $ 14.99 to get the app. If these are the issues your finding as well, I will wait on it until I know for sure others are not having these issues, and official statements from Microsoft on the web saying these issues are fixed as well. Also I recently did a full wipe of my HD about a month and a half ago and it's running even better than it was when I bought it 3 years ago.
  17. Eluwenie Augur

Behee you said: "But your Dad clearly has no idea how software becomes obsolete while malware continues to evolve. Windows 10 is free for a while so people will wake up, take the free upgrade, and be properly protected for the next few years"

My dad passed away in 2000 and personally I think he was a genius because he built his own computer, he was born in 1920. He didn't use the web either, he used BBS's and he was always tinkering around with it too as a side hobby.
  18. Rhodz Augur

Dont be a Leroy... wait.
  19. svann Augur

What he said was true in 2000. Not anymore.
  20. Aims New Member

I have not had any problems so far