Any ideas for building a simple script to do UI management?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IblisTheMage, Mar 5, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

So, I am thinking that a fun project could be to build a script that arranges stuff on the screen, locks it, etc. for my 5-box toons.

The idea is to have some sort of script that I keep version controlled, that I can update when I want some changes in layout or UI, and that then updates the right files for the toons in mention. I am thinking that K would integrate UI modding and UI configuration control.

I have not programmed in15 (?) Years, but I work with a Python/Gitlab crowd, so would likely go that way in selecting tools.

The goal is to build a minimalist UI for my box.

I would prefer it to be public, open source, etc so that anyone so desiring could use it or improve it.

This is what I have so far on this :)

Any ideas or suggestions? :)
  2. moogs Augur

After defining the problem more clearly, your first task should be to examine the various text files for one of your characters and mapping out which files the relevant INI entries reside in. You would probably want to sort out which elements need to change globally and which elements need to be change for magic vs melee characters; you would likely end up with multiple scripts in the end based on that.

Most of the UI elements' placement settings are located in UI_Iblis_antonius.ini
    Your hotbuttons (I'll assume you'd like to copy many of them) are located in Iblis_antonius.ini
    Many other visual settings, text filters and preferences are located in eqclient-Iblis.ini

So you should make a list of which settings you want to keep as a template and then copy over, and which to discard or refresh when you make a new character.

This is separate from any custom edits that you have made to your actual interface elements, found in uifiles\default
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

I am thinking that I would over time build up so that I configure all toons with one main script, building functions, and is able to lets say position the party roster at a given position for all toons, give it a specific height, width, border, font size, etc. Another requirement would be same characteristica for the toons HEMP box, making sure they have all the same size and bar thickness, but placing them different places on the screen.

Running the main script file should configure and mod all I wanted, and everything should be public and shared for others to implement as well...
  4. moogs Augur

So it sounds as though you're looking to perform edits to the UI's XML files as well as your characters' INI files. Same principle applies: save a backup copy of the default UI folder, paste everything into a new folder under uifiles, then apply edits to the XML files one at a time (such as EQUI_GroupWindow.xml) and /load mycustomui until you're pleased with the results.

Save yourself some trouble by going to www.eqinterface.com and browsing through some work that others have already done. Run a Compare operation between those files and the default UI files to spot differences, and that should give you a good idea of what you will need to edit in order to make things exactly as you please.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

Great idea!