Any DEV Chat planned for New expansion?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ratbo Peep, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Ratbo Peep Augur

It was a tradition to have a "developer chat" of some kind to get some "class input" on new expansions. Anything like that planned for this one? Hmmmmm?
    Or at least a forum section for the new expansion with "Class Threads" pre-setup?
    Yes; Everyone wants all the DPS, 500,000 hit points, etc. But good suggestions still come in.
    -Rat
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I doubt it. The old AA dev did that because he was running out of ideas. New AA dev is a wee bit more creative and imaginative. But who knows, maybe he will just to prove me wrong~
  3. Donutsz12 Elder

Yeah I think Beimeith is right on that. New AA dev maybe a little more creative when it comes to AA's instead of the lazy adding 2 ranks to the current AA structure for your aa's for your expansion.

Since it is already well known that the game backend is old and that it can only hold so many aa's with the condensed aa structure they have been working on, it gives a huge amount of room for addition new functions for AA's
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I don't think you quite understood what the consolidation was about.

When Elidroth said there wasn't much room left he was NOT referring to a hard limitation like the AA window can only hold X number of AA lines. He was referring to the fact that many AAs are percentage-based and can only go up to 100% because once you hit 100% you literally cannot go any higher.

The consolidation of AA lines was NOT to "free up space to add new things" like on a hard drive. It was to declutter the window / reduce the huge mountain of AA for imaginary new players / returning players so they aren't daunted by the sheer number of AA that are required to play modern EQ.
  5. Donutsz12 Elder

I'm not sure that was the entire point of that process. The AA lines are already at MAX. They were last year when TDS was released and they had to cut down some and combine them. I'm pretty positive that was well known from the aa chat discussions. This is no different then anything else.

They either had to combine the current ones with another one existing or there would be no room for any new aa's for the expansion. The game engine is so old it can't handle that many without a full rewrite of the engine and they were not going to put in the effort to do that.
  6. Dropfast Augur

This is exactly what I wanted to know. While the IRC chats before were pretty pointless, I'd love to see some new ones done now that different Devs are in charge. I've seen countless good ideas thrown out in the past that were just ignored. It would be great if we could have some actual productive ones for once.

As someone already said, some ideas were over the top and should be ignored. However, some ideas were fantastic but just got shrugged off. I still have a little bit of faith that some great things could be done for each class but this not going to happen without some good player / Dev communication. The ball is in their court, Let's pray they take some good advice and do this.
  7. segap Augur

Listen to Beimeith on this. People misconstrued the "out of room" comment from Elidroth. The problem with AAs are that it seemed reasonable to add 5% here and 5% there ten years ago, but 40 levels later, those increments all add up to a max of 100%. They're running out of existing abilities they can mod that are below a max cap. We also have the problem that adding things to classes potentially negates adps abilities (or is negated by them).
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. bbanz Elder

Is there a list of current devs and their duties? Lost track after the reshufflings...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Donutsz12 Elder

Why should I take Beimeith at his word on it? Where exactly does it say that the increments max at 100% for these aa's. Elidroth and JChan was pretty clear on it that they said there was no more room for any NEW AA's.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

[IMG]
  11. Ratbo Peep Augur

Like I said: Via IRC or via a Forum section here - it would be nice to get some player / Dev regarding classes and where they are headed via AA or otherwise.
    -Rat
    PS: Twas me in the OP that mentioned over the top ideas.
  12. Sancus Augur

No, actually they weren't. Elidroth made a comment during one of the chats about running out of space, which was assumed by players to mean some sort of physical limitation. He later clarified those comments in a forum post, in which he said exactly what Beimeith is saying.
  13. Reht The Dude abides...

That's what i remember too
  14. Donutsz12 Elder

Reht go back to being retired :)
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Because no one is allowed to lie on the Internet.
  16. Reht The Dude abides...

Never retired from forum-quest