Any chance of making new TLP a none krono access?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Wizdons, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Numiko Augur

Only way to really do it is set up the server outside of the normal All Access account system with it's own billing and accounts. and i cannot really see Daybreak doing that just for the sake of one or two servers.
  2. Lumiens Augur

As some have suggested, charging a higher fee to play on this server would help to offset the loss of revenue from Krono sales. I understand why some might be upset though since these changes are going to severely impact those that were planning on boxing 6+ accounts on the new No Box Server since they would have to pay a higher subscription for each account and would not be able to farm Krono to help to offset the costs then.
  3. Fallfyres Augur

---------------
    Very good point Hasty.

What if, as a side affect of such a server they found out they could attain more long term subs AND make money selling all the fluff goodies in the cash store? They would still have the Krono Trader Entrepreneurs floating around on the other servers, AND they could enjoy a target market on one or two servers who are absolutely looking for some sort of ruleset framework which addresses this issue.

They can choose not to publically address what you mention at the end of your post, still reap the benefit of great word-of-mouth around the net from the players seeking this sort of freedom in Norrath. And many will enjoyably commit to some long term subs, and DBG can continue with diverse rulesets on their other servers which includes the power to not only earn what you want, but conveniently buy it whenever you feel like it as well.

The company can have it any which way, earn more profit and more players can enjoy a home in Norrath again long-term. I hope their financial analysts are looking through a long lens at this rather than some of the other very short term locust type revenue features available in almost all mmo's currently on the market, whether oldschool games still running or new candy-cane-short-shrift on-the-content-type offerings.
  4. Fallfyres Augur

--------------------
    *Nods with Lumiens...and those who would plan such always want to jump in from the get-go to claim their piece of real estate on a fresh server. +1 for suggestions in this and other threads about the new winter TLP server; good discussion!
  5. Malifer New Member

I would love a no krono server. Im tired of hearing the boxers are the ones supporting the servers. Its the people who just startup looking for cash that buy krono and bring them into game that makes db the money. Then the krono is bought using game cash after the fact by mage groups so the mages are not the ones supporting the game. DB could care less if the krono is ever used by mage groups because the krono was already paid for by someone else.

I like the concept of no krono but it does ruin the fun of twinking.
  6. Hasty Blades Journeyman

Numiko is exactly right. It would take a commitment from DBG to set up completely independent servers with it's own account access. I would make one more point. I believe any servers like this would have a substantial subscription fee attached to it. I understand DBG is a business and KRONO is a very big revenue stream. If we are to continue to dream then we need to be cognizant of the revenue we would have to make up in subscription fee to cover the loss of KRONO. I would certainly pay a premium price to have a 6 month unlock TLP server without KRONO, station cash, cheating/boxing assist software and an actual server GM. If there is money to be made, DBG may listen. The real question is how would your wallet vote?
  7. KarmaThaKing Elder

Well, i don't believe it would really require that big of a coding change to a higher payment model. I mean if anything, they can call it a "server coin" that costs only $2 USD. Effectively like the krono, but used only for TLP server to weight in the extra costs.

Regardless though... Like I have said in other threads; I don't really think the problem is (totally) the Krono.

The Real Problem:
    As you mention: 3rd party software/scripts/automation
    --When 1 person or 2 people, can log on 12-20 <insert stupid class here> characters...It effectively locks out the 12-20 people who could have been playing in that zone. I am not even talking about the legitimate boxers who can play 5 characters at a time. I cannot do it and no big deal because also MOST other people cannot either. There would only be very few people who would spend the wasted energy trying to box that many accounts at once. This would have a direct impact to krono hoarding/farming because now instead of one person farming all the loot out of an entire continent. That <insert loot name> would instead be shared amongst the community of players....Which is how it should be.

The bots I imagine do not even pay DBG:
    This goes to point #2... Which is that it is quite likely that the mage farmers have gotten so good at their camps and taking mobs that they have no need to pay for real cash anymore to DBG. They only need their 6 characters and to farm a couple spot for like 3 days and I have no doubt they would make enough for 6 krono. Thus they would just continue to claim krono and have the rest of the server pay for his/her accounts. Again, get rid of the bots/automation and then the loot and gear are actually shared among the people who actually need it.

Admitting:
    Yes, Krono has had a negative effect on inflation and server prices for the newbie players (who do not have a krono). It has essential turned most servers into pay-to-win. Because the only way to buy that upgrade is not by farming mobs for 1kpp... But having to buy a krono so you can instead pay 9kpp. So I will admit there is a downside to the krono. But when you think about the financial stream for the developers. And also when you really think about it ==> A ton of us bought coin off of 3rd party websites back in the day. I remember sitting in bazaar ( Nexus ), waiting for some anonymous player to come say hello to me. My point is: People are going to buy coin/krono/gear with real world cash no matter what! I would rather it be legitimately from DBG and I would rather the money goto DBG.
  8. code-zero Augur

Back in 1999 and 2000 I have an acquaintance who was 6 boxing with 6 separate computers using KVM switch. He kept camps locked down and sold loot on Ebay and eventually he ran afoul of the IRS because he failed to declare his substantial earnings from this on his income tax.

I've ran into other players through the years who knew people who'd done almost exactly the same thing with the same outcome. Back then I suspect that most people didn't realize that the 6 characters they were seeing were all being run from a dorm room of a college.

Krono's are not the problem and they've never been the problem. When people can make money in game that they can transfer into the "meat" world then they aren't paying their own way at all. What is happening is that now with Krono you can see what had been going on all the time in a black market.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Eliseus Augur

Your real problem couldn't be anymore incorrect. There is a massive population of players on project 1999 for example that don't want krono and third-party-program AND no boxing.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  10. Malifer New Member

I have noticed this inflation for gear as well because of krono. sometimes I think to myself how is a level 20 or 30 suppose to pay for that piece of gear which is his level. I realize getting plat gets easier as you get higher level but still sometimes this is 2-3x the plat that person's level is expected to have. If they dont buy krono for cash there is no way they can afford it causing a pay to win scenerio.

Im afraid to see what happens on TLP servers when an expansion is released. for the first 5 months every piece of gear that comes from the expansion that is nice people will be like yea give me 6 krono for this and give me 8 krono for that. Prices will be stupid high on the new gear that drops. especially when I think of items like the fungi covered tunic that will have such a high demand people can ask whatever they want for em and people will pay.
  11. Zarakii Augur

consume krono on a live server then farm for the gear you need with like minded individuals =) if they managed to keep boxers at bay there will be PLENTY of groups to go around... either way it will be interesting to see how this all turns out
  12. code-zero Augur

13. Steampunk Augur

[*] only thinking inside the box... you
    [ ] * ability to think outside the box... me

If they wanted to, which the probably don't, they could make it so that Krono could not be traded within a particular server. Easiest way: simply make them "NO TRADE" on that server.
  14. Steampunk Augur

Already mentioned and responded to. Yes! Make it very very VERY risky. And make it "buy/sell at your own risk".
  15. Warpeace Augur

Yet you can't grasp the point they are account wide and not specific to a server. Claim the Krono on whatever server you choose and it affects the entire account for 30 days of play time.
  16. Steampunk Augur

And you are not grasping what I am saying. I know they are account wide. I am saying they could make them NO TRADE on one server. People could still have their Krono, and use them, they just can't use them in transactions for plat or other items on that one server. Consuming the Krono for play time is not the problem. That's what it was originally intended for, ostensibly.

I'm not even saying that it should be done. It might, or it might not, have some beneficial effect. The question was "could it be done?".
  17. Rhodz Augur

Could be done absolutely ... wont be done absolutely.
    Figured out which folks are neck deep in the krono/RMT market yet?
    Its not hard from the posts.
  18. Aghinem Augur

I like how people think removing krono is the answer when RMT bot armies have been around long before krono were even implemented...
    code-zero likes this.
  19. Eliseus Augur

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you are completely taking out of context why most people want the server to not allow Krono. Can it also help combat RMT? Maybe, but I know for many that is the furthest from their mind. They want to remove Krono from the server to A. Give it a more authentic experience, and B. Have more authentic players. There is also a stigma that tends to come from a player with Krono which I'm sure people are trying to avoid. Now, I know people will read what they want to, so I'll make sure it's noted I'm not saying ALL people, but anyways, I think the is more-or-less the idea behind the removal of the Krono, at least till the appropriate expansions.

Side topic: Depending on the success though I think it would be interesting to delve deeper into expansions where it became the norm to box and see how it fairs, maybe even never enabling Krono accounts to play on the server also depending on how it works out. I feel this server has some huge potential to have different rules making an experience very unique. I mean already not allowing boxing is a pretty big rule for EQ, so will be interesting to see what else is in store..... If anything.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  20. Aghinem Augur

A) If people want a authentic experience, they need to just play p99 - and this is not being nasty by any means. Many of you in who are trying to recapture the experience of how it was 10-15 years ago will never have that opportunity simply because of all the knowledge that exists today about EverQuest simply didn't exist in that other time period. Back then, people had no idea where to go or how to get there...today, its the opposite. Back then, people didn't know who to talk to, which NPCs may have quests, etc - today, people do. The veils that created the mystery about the game several years ago are gone and there its impossible to reestablish those veils.

B) I know the authentic player remark is not directed at me personally, but I am a krono user and I am not any less authentic than the next guy who uses kronos as a means of convenience. There is already a crude element of divisiveness in the game, if you start creating a stigma towards krono users - you will simply perpetuate more resentment than there already is in this quite emotionally unstable EQ community.
    code-zero likes this.