Another one bites the dust!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Burned Out XII, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Burned Out XII New Member

I have had a great time in EQ, through thick and thin. After almost 16 years (!!) wandering around Norrath I have brought my adventures to an end.

As what seems customary in these types of posts, here are my closing thoughts on what has contributed towards me giving up the ghost:
    • Incessant (occasionally unecessary) tinkering of game mechanics with wildly varying levels of actual improvement and player outrage.
    • mudflation that would bankrupt China in an afternoon
    • players' impatience/selfishness/class envy which spurred on the futile pursuit of "class balance" when developer time would have been better spent elsewhere (when we actually had developers..) Characters should play the class, not the other way around.
    • some truly wonderful expansions like Kunark, LDoN and PoP (although PoP introduced things which were detrimental to the game, it was still a good expansion in general) ..but the rest I'd rate between poor and awful. Cynical cash grabs in general.
    • the enormous world that scatters players far and wide.
    • Sony's lack of drive to attract new players. They totally dropped the ball when WoW came along with Blizzard's slick advertising and marketing campaigns. Why didn't Sony/Verant put some effort and budget into marketing the game when they were king of the hill? As of July 2012 WoW had surpassed $10 billion earned via subscriptions. A very poor/arrogant approach surely cost them a slice of that action. (A recurring theme over the years in many regards with EQ and its relationship with its players)
    • veteran players playing with multiple accounts. Being self sufficient is very appealing. I ended up with three accounts myself as the amount of time I had to play diminished significantly as r/l became more important and demanding as I grew older. Boxing was a more efficient use of my EQ time and definitely kept me playing for years longer than I may have without. I realise this was not in the best interests of the gaming community that I fondly remember. I imagine these days a number of new players and non boxers grow frustrated LFG and wander off to different games because many veteran players box to some extent, fearful of hooking up with some random idiot who is going to ruin their objective for that session.
    In closing, I'm going to paraphrase and add some spin on something Red Letter Media talk about in one of their scathing reviews of an Adam Sandler film (Jack and Jill I believe).

"They aren't even trying anymore, it's obvious they are just going through the motions and want you to hand over your cash based on their past triumphs and the time you already have invested. They will continue to mock you with half , wretched, cynical trash as long as your ignorance blinds you and you keep throwing them your money."

And no, you can't have my stuff!!
    Karacho and Motherlee like this.
  2. frankie78227 Augur

Good Luck in RL.
  3. Leex Pewpewer

See you next week!
    Kravitz, Sindaiann, Kiillz and 5 others like this.
  4. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

Someone tell him about PoK books and guild portal npc. Old people
  5. Kobrah Augur

See you when expansion drops. til then have a good month and a half off.
  6. Leex Pewpewer

Don't do what vetplayer did and delete your characters...He didn't even last the week away.
    Mintalie, Silv and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  7. Repthor Augur

cya in the next thread you create
  8. Nickalispicalis Journeyman

Pretty fair comments. I recently came back to EQ and am playing largely for nostalgic reasons. A few observations: 1) The game is no longer player/group friendly. My Max Level Character was only Level 86. I couldn't find a single soul to group with or do anything with. I was more or less forced to box, which I did, to try and complete the older progression. I did join a guild, what I thought was a fairly large one, but my experience was disappointing. Most of the players were max level and would only ever log in to do their raids or AFK for buffs in the guild lobby. In the three months that I played, only one individual was willing to give me some help on something, even though at their level it would have been entirely trivial.

So you have to justify paying for two accounts on such an old game. Visually, I liked the fact that some of the zones have been redone, but some of the zones were truly an eyesore to behold. When playing alts and visiting Luclin and Kunark zones it was truly an eyesore. I understand its an old game but it looked and felt so primitive, not much above a MUD game graphically to be honest. Ok, on this point perhaps I simply have to concede, because it is EQ after all. I thought though their was a plan to revamp the older zones, but perhaps it was abandoned in favor of getting customers to buy the heroic characters.

I liked the heroic character feature. I bought two of them. One for each account. I hardly played either one though. It felt dishonest, and that I had not earned the right. I mostly wound up using them as buff dispensers.
    Leeanni and Motherlee like this.
  9. Swarm Journeyman

The game is so far removed from what it once was, I am not even sure why they bother to still call it Everquest.
  10. Coronay Augur

This. Others just slow me down. Most people do not know how to play EQ that well. All they do are gribble DH's that take em over 30 minutes to complete.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

12. Raptour_MT Elder

another drama queen post from someone looking for attention or sympathy. just leave and spare us your crying.
  13. Zarakii Augur

pics or it didnt happen! if so im sorry to see ya leave if you do or dont youll never get a farewell on these boards sadly at least not a friendly one.
  14. Motherlee Augur

Why are you all so mean and nasty to people who say they are leaving? Do you not see this as a real problem? Even if/when they come back, their level of disgust is a symptom of real consumer dissatisfaction. MLK Jr said, "A riot is the language of the unheard." Threats to quit are the riot equivalency. Everquest is the most kind and welcoming community in games ever. Why do you act like a pack of jackals to someone who is frustrated and angry?

Look deep and figure out how/why disgruntled players are a threat to you.
    Santonin, Leeanni, Lily and 3 others like this.
  15. Zarakii Augur

think most who snarl like this are close themselves and dont want to admit it
    Motherlee likes this.
  16. Vetplayer Elder

Like I said in my recent post a day ago.
    The same thread dogs posting in the forums. trying to bash one saying goodbye.
    Trying to highjack a threat and drive the car in there direction.

If you don't like reading it.. click another thread.

Zarakii! you freaking amaze me! your actually NICE and supportive! :)
    Motherlee, it is cause they are a bunch of .. meows.
    Raptour_MT, :p
    And, why would anyone chose ' leex ' as a name?

You guys bash a 16 YEAR vet ?
    What are your ages? I mean in Real Life.

Sorry OP. Ignore their BS.
  17. Leex Pewpewer

Their BS**

And Leex isn't a thread name..Although...We could make it one...;)
    Kiillz likes this.
  18. Vetplayer Elder

19. Leex Pewpewer

Well, I do get it in ;).

On a side note..You edit your post more then Michael Jackson and all his surgery's..
  20. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

You came back too soon, the only realistic pick up groups that existed in the past year were PoW mini raids but that was gated behind 105 and other things by design. With upcoming PoHate/Fear zones they should in theory address returnees like you. Group instances such as Dead Hills HAs are filthy boxer content or high end cliques experience farms, the latter admittedly isn't bad because it helps loosen up player congestion when new expansion launches. Same with actual expansion progression through the zones, they also don't help returnees especially after month new zones been out. Which is why you couldn't get groups.