Another box group thread

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Rhyder, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Rhyder New Member

I'm coming back after a loooong break from the game. I wasn't able to recover my original account because I don't have the email or cc from when I signed up (Kunark release). I created a new account and have a couple characters around level 20 right now and was considering a box group to keep things interesting while leveling and for any time that I can't find a group.

I always liked the pet classes and my main way back was a Ranger. I was considering creating a Mage and Druid group. I've seen some conversations that go both ways with that combination. Also a consideration is Mage, Druid, Ranger/Necro. I figured with some macros the Mage would be relatively easy to box and the Druid is a candidate for active or passive play so I assume I would main either the Druid the Ranger/Necro if did that.

How well would the Ranger or Necro synergize with the Mage/Druid pair? I like the idea of a small army so multiple pet classes sounds interesting to me. All would have mercs to fill any gaps. One of the accounts is subscribed and the others would be f2p. I'm not looking to expand beyond a duo/trio. I don't plan on hunting named though I wouldn't write it off completely. Just looking to be able to tackle more, more or less non-stop.

I want to have a primarily caster/ranged group with a pet/merc army so I don't know if the Ranger would even fit as it's mostly melee.

Thanks for any tips/advice.
  2. Tucoh Augur

Since you're playing f2p accounts I'll presume this question is about live servers.

On live and at higher levels, druids and rangers are mana starved and benefit from an enchanter, bard or beastlord (beastlords provide substantial mana regen). Without one you I'd recommend an enchanter for a druid/ranger.

Tank mercs and rangers are poor tanks at the higher levels (but great before level 60ish). Mage/necro pets are serviceable, but plate tanks are head and shoulders above them in both survivability and holding aggro on multiple mobs. You'll do OK with a mage/necro pet but will be limited in what you can pull off compared to a group with a plate tank.

If you're looking for a pet-based 2box, it's hard not to recommend a necro in 2021 and this thread goes over the different options for a second box. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/best-box-for-necro.275673/#post-4035714 My recommendation is nec/shd.

A couple of years ago I created a 4mag/enc/dru team as a side project to my warrior-driven melee team and had moderate success. You can read more about it here.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-critique-welcome.240258/page-22#post-3843410

3. Rhyder New Member

I created a Shaman and Mage to go along with my Necro. Going to duo a bit to get the Mage and Shaman up to the Necro. Hoping that the buffs, summoned gear, and multiple pets make it a relatively smooth ride.