An Update & Announcement from Project 1999!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahna Augur

I feel the need to point out that downloading titanium isn't illegal if you purchased the original and all the expansions back in the day, or even any expansion after that that gave you access to those expansions. You already own a license to use that software, you just lost the actual software. Replacing it isn't stealing. I find it hard to believe that people jonesing for the old days didn't own the software back then. It's not illegal to re-download it. It is one of the few instances where torrenting is legal.

Safe? That's another story, but I haven't had any problems so far. It would be nice to get DGC to offer a copy, or give P99 permission to provide it.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Probably one of the reasons Daybreak decided to recognize P99 is that there aren't many copies of Titanium out there to get. I don't think they will be selling Titanum editions. The logic may be that P99 basically has as many peeps as its gonna get so why not recognize it for some goodwill.
  3. Zansobar Augur

P99 has been growing for the last 4 or 5 years and there are new players everyday. After they launch Velious they are going to launch a second Blue server, called a recycle server. Basically it will be a progression server from classic through Velious following the original game's timeline. Meaning it will be about 3 or 4 years before it gets through all of Velious...at that point it will end and all the characters will get copied to the current Blue server, and a new restart of the server will commence.
    Fallfyres and Soltara like this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

If copies of Titanim are required where are they all coming from?
    Siffums and code-zero like this.
  5. Kahna Augur

As I covered above, it is not illegal to torrent a copy of something you already purchased the license to use. The copies are coming from torrent.
  6. code-zero Augur

During the afternoon on Saturday I was sort of bored so I began a project of counting how many of what classes there were online. I would have to do "/who all <class> <lower level> <upper level> as I would get too many to count otherwise.

This took a while and wasn't a snapshot of population of course.

Summing it up I totaled 583 characters online that were not either /role or /anon

I then tried to determine what percentage of those were either /role or /anon and counting in several zones. The numbers were all over the place with 25% of those in the Lobby being /role or /anon and 33% of those in PoK.

I split the difference and called it 30% though it'd take a lot more to be sure and multiplied 583 x 1.3 and got 758 characters on line, before prime time on a sunny saturday when there wasn't a lot going on. This was Rathe and the load on the front page showed at Medium

We're constantly lectured by the P99 crowd about how few logins there are in Live. It's not hard at all to put the lie to that trash and demonstrate that even during low activity times any live server will have plenty of players and at peak they'll all exceed what P99 does.

Now I'm sure that some are going to divide 758/54 and claim that there were only 14 people boxing most of those character :D
  7. liveitup1216 Augur

And P99 had well over 1k almost all weekend with no boxers. What's your point?
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

So all those playrers on P99 had active accounts when Titanium came out? Lets not be silly. I am sure most of the downloading if it from Torren is illegal. You use this excuse to announce to people where to get it.
  9. Kahna Augur

You didn't have to have an account active at the time titanium came out, as any purchase of any expansion over the years gave you access to that content. You can even argue that they provide the content for free now, since anyone can download it and play for free.

And really, how many brand new players do you think a 16 year old game gets? Is it really hard to believe that all those people are looking for the game they played 16 years ago and now miss? I find it harder to believe they didn't play back in the day. Don't want to run the risk of downloading it illegally, go but the latest expansion.
  10. Zansobar Augur

There were over 1600 players online on the Blue Project 1999 server on Sunday. And remember this is a server where the population is only spread over the classic zones plus Kunark...as Velious hasn't launched yet. Oh and all are played by actual people as P99 has a stringent no bot policy.
  11. code-zero Augur

If you use my rough estimate of 758 on a slow saturday afternoon and multiply it across the 12 blue server plus FV you get 9,854 playing and that's not even at peak time. You can't really do that sort of thing at peak as there are more online for each class at some levels than you can get a return. Tonight a /who all cleric 105 was cut short.

Your 1600 barely make a real Live server at peak
  12. Dreftan Elder

Another thing to note is on live there are quite a few afk in the lobby, pok, bazaar, housing ect. Less are online and afk on p99.
  13. Zansobar Augur

Saturday afternoons are not "slow" on Project 1999 Blue server...
  14. liveitup1216 Augur

1600 people (not boxes) beats any live server. What is even happening here? 1600 even including boxes for a live server would be a feat.
  15. Dali New Member

This is normal behaviour on just about all modern AV software.
    Some are little more hype than others to detect just about everything that just looks a fraction of some of the code could be a virus.

If an executable or .dll file doesn't have a registered checksum that identifies it as safe from the developer, there is a 50-99% chance it will be flagged as "something we don't know ... we better call it suspicous ..." by your AV software. Its the price you pay by using heurestic scanning that looks for yet unknown code that might be, might not be a virus or security risk.

If you can figure out your AV settings, it is in most cases possibly to click off the aggressive scanning for new suspicious code
  16. code-zero Augur

Honestly put aside all the "I hate boxers" how many play and junk.

Daybreak obviously had meetings about this subject. Probably lots and lots of meetings. Attorneys were hired. Negotiations were engaged in.

So with everything that was going on in ALL the game catalog that Daybreak manages. With massive staff cuts and everything else going on they took time from their busy schedules to negotiate with some outlaws running an server that loads trojans on their users machines? Really? That was the best use of that time and those resources?

It just demonstrates how out of touch the company has become.There are other examples, looking at /r/EQ2 on reddit and you can see that their attempt to switch to that media is in the process of destroying that subreddit.

It's ridiculous
  17. Smoivas New Member

Sorry for my last post live, stay classy ;)

This is a great development for both sides here, thank you Daybreak!
  18. RadarX Augur

Folks let's avoid torrent discussion please as it can expose people to both risks and illegal activity. PM myself or Roshen with concerns about this.
  19. Slasher Augur

Then allow the people at P99 to distribute the client required to play on that server legally. You posted this thread accepting P99 as a legal server so give them a legal way to let people play it.
    Rebelord likes this.
  20. PeppeLePeu Elder

i seriously doubt they will post or give a way to download titanium before the new TLP launch and even I would imagine till after the TLP server equaled or surpassed p99 on expansion. We could be 6 months or even a year away from seeing any sort of legal way to get a copy of titanium outside of paying 100's on amazon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.