An Update & Announcement from Project 1999!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fallfyres Augur

---------------------------

Bleh, don't say that: "Giving the community another same progression server option, that has failed 2x in the past was not the brightest decision." ;o) I'm still HOPING FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE FRESHER than an exact rehash of the former two progression servers...hoping, hoping, hoping ^-^ !
  2. Numiko Augur

I would not call the last two sets a "failure" ..the bottom line is did they make money off the servers? if SOE / Daybreak lost money on those servers I seriously doubt they would be even considering doing another one...

and the contention that the server would be one of the lowest population ones "in a few months" is proven false by just looking at the history of both sets. Fippy even 4+ years in has more people on it then several live servers most nights.

This style of play even seems to be growing, I have seen calls for EQ2, WOW, and even Lineage 2 classic or progressions servers to be started up.
  3. code-zero Augur

Now that it's come out that P99 loads a trojan on your computer I'm wondering how many of the people who had there characters moved to FV and stripped also played on P99
  4. Nolrog Augur

Except they didn't fail. Both were extremely successful and made SOE a ton of money. If they weren't successful, there wouldn't be a 3.0.
  5. Fallfyres Augur

------------------

I knew they were very popular in the early months, I did not know of any revenue postings, but glad to hear those were money-making propositions then!
  6. Weverley Augur

I don't know about 2.0 but i can tell you that combine was very popular.To the point that guild lobby was crashing like hell.I got so tired of been unable to access toon in there i started to logoff in pok lol.
  7. Circadian72 Kabuki - Agnarr

Awesome, where do I get my legit copy of Titanium?
  8. escapegoat New Member

that could be neat. there's other precedents for that. when Activision bought the rights to the Guitar Hero franchise from Harmonix, they hired a bunch of people who were hacking custom songs into Guitar Hero 2 (from the ScoreHero.com message boards).

and, heck, when Rob Halford left Judas Priest, Judas Priest replaced him with a guy, Tim "Ripper" Owens, who was the frontman for a Judas Priest tribute band. :D
  9. Zansobar Augur

There isn't a Trojan in the Project 1999 files, but some anti-virus software will flag a file as such in the Project 1999 files. That's because one of the DLL's from Project 1999 is used to detect users who are employing common Everquest cheat programs (packet sniffers, etc.). That type of action is sometimes mistaken by anti-virus as a Trojan.

For more information read the technical support forums on the Project 1999 site.

Project 1999 doesn't allow cheaters and doesn't allow botting (multiple accounts being played by a single person at the same time). They police the cheaters using the DLL and they police the botters by only allowing multiple logins simultaneously from a single IP if you have an IP exemption, which you have to get via petition in their forums...(and have a good reason to have one). If they detect botting type behavior you will get banned.

Those are some of the reasons I play Project 1999. Botting and cheating just kills games, Project 1999 has no tolerance for either.
  10. code-zero Augur

Blah blah blah, it's a trojan that invades the users computer and pokes around without bothering to ask you for permission.
    I like to box, I like MODERN EQ, I've seen enough of the sanctimonious, self righteous P99er's to suspect that all the ranting about "cheaters" is about as hypocritical as a Ted Haggard sermon condemning ....well go check that for yourself
  11. Striff New Member

P1999 Sucks
  12. Zansobar Augur

I guess Project 1999 isn't for you, but it is for thousands of others.
  13. iKeyCakes New Member

Yeah, would be nice if there was a way to get the Titanium copy of this by not doing /bad things/ or having to go onto Amazon or Ebay for like 300$.
    Nolrog likes this.
  14. Nolrog Augur

They made a post when the progression servers first came out saying EQ had it's best months in a long time (though did not give any specific numbers of course.)
    Fallfyres likes this.
  15. Nolrog Augur

Here here. That's my problem as well. Someone sent me a "link" to download and my antivirus immediately popped it's head up and said dude, what are you trying to do?
  16. Smoivas New Member

I too would have loved seasonal
    Did anyone here ever play Diablo II post-patch 1.09?

In 1.10 and beyond Ladder seasons (that is, you could make a character with a ladder flag and try to play em so that they'd be on the character leaderboards, once every summer they'd reset the ladder and everyone would start over, their old chars being released in the general population instead of wiped) and that kept people playing that for way longer than its livelihood; the model has success elsewhere in gaming I don't see why it wouldn't here, especially given that at best Ragefire's endgame is being merged, at worst "sunset" with the others when its dead.

Why not give people more people to play with? By the way, did they ever state a boxing limit on Ragefire or did that just go by the wayside too?
  17. Numiko Augur

I'll start out by saying I do not think the DLL is malicious, i'm sure daybreak checked this sort of thing out before making an agreement with them.

but they have it backwards on those P99 forums, you submit a file to get it white listed, not black listed.. and if McAffee did black list the file as an artamis trojan then they do think it contains malicious code.

a file that "phones home" to a unknown private data base is pretty well the definition of a Trojan file.

If the P99 Devs are confident their DLL is not malicious they can submit it themselves to have the file white listed by the major anti virus companies... no cost to them at all.

I'll be waiting until this happens before I try P99.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. code-zero Augur

19. Wayylon Augur

Start selling digital downloads of the Titanium client, there are a ton of people who want a clean legit copy.

Shut up and take our money!
  20. Metacomet New Member

I got rid of the A.V. software I was using and went with another brand, now using Kaspersky, it doesn't vomit every time I launch the . Anyway, I have an off-the-shelf copy of Titanium that sets on my bookshelf like a trophy. I pet it from time to time.
    Fallfyres and Wayylon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.