An Open Letter to DBG: Let us Help.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metrav, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

I can see you want EQ to last and this you are sharing your idea. Odd are the shot callers won’t ever see your post but it was worth a try. And if they do they’ll do what they believe is right.

While I agree there is plenty of improvements daybreak could make - I also know how hard it can be to get things to change (depending on the ownership situation), to actually see that change. One thing is wanting it. Another is actually being able to implement change. The latter isn’t always possible depending on the owners sometimes regardless of how much people in key positions are fighting for it. (Been in this situation with one of my own companies I founded and then had external investors having majority ownership. )
  2. That0neguy Augur

Except that is not what the OP said. He stated that the biggest problem is the player base does not know how they spend their money. And theorized that if they create a special item where the funds 100% go to support EQ lots of people would buy it.

First, if the dev's created a special item and people liked it, would it matter if it had a tag or not? would the tag really generate more money? Doubtful, it isn't for charity. Even if it did, how does it change the situation that the OP probably thinks DBG executives are just pocketing the money from the game. Running these forums is an expense for them. Could the funds go from said item go to support it? If so, then they can just take out of the budget what they were using for the forums and pocket that instead. So this idea does nothing to solve what the OP claims the problem is.

The OP doesn't consider his idea in the context of business or a development team.

What the community needs to do is clearly explain what they don't like about the game and why. Then you let the devs do their actual job of coming up with idea's to solve the problem. When the community puts out an "idea" to "fix" something it is 99% of the time so far off base, technically impossible, or not really fixing the problem. Now this requires that the dev team is open to listening and fixing stuff and is competent.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Dreadmore like this.
  3. Skeetari Lorekeeper

EVE online has a cool thing where they have player ambassadors who get voted in by the player base actually meet with the dev team and have round tables where ideas for balance and features are discussed. Helps keep the devs and players on same page. Not perfect, but seems to help.

Not saying that exact system would work with EQ, but EVE Onlie is also a very old (by MMO standards) game, and it’s still going strong. So something is being done right. There may be opportunities for EQ to have a program along these lines, though on a smaller scale.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Zamiam Augur

what would be interesting is if DB started a GoFund me page and all the proceeds went into MEQGA .. im sure their might be lots of peeps who would donate myself included as long as we were to see some significant improvement to the game somehow .. also they could give an in-game reward if you donated (and no not a HAT or Ornament ) .. would be interesting .. :rolleyes:
  5. Pirlo Augur

We used to have that.
    Then a bunch of staff got fired and the ambassador program dissolved.
    Now we get feed silence and like it
    Havanap likes this.
  6. Angahran Augur

Everquest has always been a cash cow for whichever company was running it.
    So much money has been wasted over the decades attempting to create 'the next big thing' (which ultimately flops) when it could have been reinvensted into making EQ even better.
    Caell and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  7. Spellfire Augur

EQ used to have Community Round Table program.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Well-intentioned or ill-intentioned. A silly post will be met with silliness.