An Ancient Evil Stirs - Something to do while you wait for RoS.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by gotwar, Dec 11, 2017.

1. gotwar Gotcharms

With less than 24 hours until the release of RoS, it stands to reason that everyone is itching for something to do. Your progression is completed (right?) your launch day plans are in place, our cries for balance/imbalance/cake fall on deaf ears as the development team plans to open the second part of their Kunarkian adventure.

To that end, I present you all with a story. Something to occupy your forum time as we all wait for the inevitable nugat-y cluster**** that is launch day.

Preface: Rithnok, a dear friend of mine, avid roleplayer on a server that bans for roleplay, and lizard-who-thinks-he's-a-dragon, has posted many threads with fan-made stories about his character (you can find the most recent one HERE). Inspired by Rithnok's bravery in presenting his own stories to the community, I promised him he wouldn't be alone in his quest. I set about writing my own Rithnok fan-fiction.

Well, Rithnok, I'm sorry to say that this isn't a Rithnok fan-fic. Your character has 20+ actual years of backstory, and it was just too difficult to take that character and make it my own. This story went through many iterations, and while the story itself took only about a day to write (lazy sundays ftw), the idea behind it has been kicking around in my head for months. But it does involve a dragon, so I delivered on that much!

Taking place after the events of Ring of Scale, our story begins with a young woman struggling to come to terms with her own mysterious origins. I've done a bit of my own world building, taken some liberties with the established EQ lore, and tried to make this all fit into a cohesive, interesting plot. There is a lot more to this story not presented here (that I will probably never write, because writing = $$), but I'm hoping it's enough to entertain and entice those of you who enjoy fantasy work.

A word of caution. This story is long. Much longer than I'd intended it to be. It clocks in at just under 11,000 words, officially qualifying it as a “novelette.” That's roughly ~35 pages of a typical paperback book. I highly recommend reading it all in one go, it goes by faster than you think.

Writing a “fan-fic” always feels difficult and cheesy. References to the source material always feel forced, even when used naturally, and I tried my best to avoid that camp-y feeling present in so many stories. It does come through in places, but I think I did a good job of hiding it. It reads more like a legitimate fantasy novel than something based on a computer game.

To all you lore buffs: I realize I'm not 100% canon with the lore. Deal with it.:cool:

To all you latin buffs: I love the language, but know nothing about it. All the Combine names are in some way tied directly to actual latin words, so I took some liberties here as well. Actual apologies :(

To all you grammar 's: This is essentially a rough draft. I don't have time for an actual edit and final drafting of a short story I wrote for an internet forum. Deal with it. :cool:

To all you fantasy lovers: I hope you enjoy the story! I think part of the magic of MMORPGs is the ability to craft our own tales as we participate in a living, breathing world. When community members like Rithnok take that and run with it, it becomes something wonderful. So this one is for you, Rithy, thanks for putting your stories out there for all to see! If even one person finds something enjoyable in this post, I'll call it a day well spent. I hope all of you folks with your own pieces of Everquest fantasy feel the inspiration to make your own threads to share your own works with the community!

Final words: I tried to rush this “out the door,” so to speak, before raid time, so the last chapter isn't as polished as I'd like it to be, but it still works and sets the tone for the rest of the story nicely, I think. The EQ forum also !#&*%! up all my indented paragraphs, and I'm not going back through 20 pages of text to fix it. Also, I'm bad with names. Deal with it!

Enjoy!

Synopsis: Chara Aetheris, an arrogant, headstrong young woman might just be the most powerful sorcerer in all of Norrath. Born of the Void and stolen from her adopted parents while still a child, Chara has faced torture, alienation, and death. A prodigy with chromatic magic, Chara's unique abilities draw energy directly from the Void, giving her a nearly unlimited supply of power. Pitted against the might of the Combine Empire, Chara will soon discover an ancient evil better left forgotten beckons her, and that the concepts of good and evil aren't always what they seem to be...
  2. gotwar Gotcharms

Every story begins with a good wizard – Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, The Annotated [Dragonlance] Chronicles

“Trolls. Why are their ilk here.” Chara eyed the imposing figure that had stepped through the door. The cloak it wore hid it well, but there was no mistaking the large, tilted frame and muscular arms that marked one of Cazic's own. As the figure swept its gaze across the room, two red eyes blazed from beneath the hood in the dim tavern light. It glanced at Chara and her companion, lingering there for just a moment, but it was already too long. Something was amiss.

“Chara sometimes your prejudices make me glow with pride.” Maledroth's humor was lost on her in that moment, her attention fixed squarely on the stranger that had settled into a far corner of the room. She turned her head long enough to scowl at her companion, and then was once again fixated on the troll that had interrupted her evening reverie. “Really, I'm sure it's nothing. They do come this far north these days, you know. Why must everything be about you?” Chara gritted her teeth, embarrassed that Maledroth had reduced her concern into vain imaginings.

“It might do you well to pay more attention to the little things, 'Droth, lest you grow bored with your time on Veeshan's scales.” She turned back to the table, a sickly-sweet smile spread across her face. Maledroth scowled, perturbed at the shorthand version of his name. She knew it was something his masters used long ago when Maledroth was young. “Droth” was sometimes used as a term for “fool” in certain Tier`Dal dialects, and the mention of Veeshan's scales usually made him bristle. It was a simple-minded piece of folklore asserting that all of Norrath and its inhabitants were riding along the great dragon-god Veeshan. The only thing Maledroth hated more than outlandish myths was ignorance, and the folktale made good use of both. The name “Maledroth” could have the literal interpretation “suffer no fools,” and it fit him perfectly.

“I enjoy boredom, it gives me time to laugh at silly little girls and their self-centered musings on the world around them, Red Enchantress.” It was Chara's turn to bristle. Her own nickname was whispered in taverns among the same simple-minded folk who believed in Veeshan's scales. Of all the clever nicknames, she had earned the most plain and insultingly droll one in all of Norrath.

“There is no more creativity in the world. What moron came up with that? You have red hair and wear a red robe and you're 'The Red Enchantress.' How grand. If I were a priest, I'd be 'The Red Priestess.' A warrior, 'The Red Warrior.' It's irksome in its simplicity and off-putting in its unimaginative tone. Gods forbid something worthwhile come from the minds of the common-folk. 'The Void Weaver' or 'The Aether Queen' would be far more descriptive and accurate.” She grinned at herself. She was equally bad at names, but at least hers were a step above the one in use. “I'm particularly fond of 'The Nightmare Illusionist.' How many innkeeps and traders would I need to scare before that caught on, do you think?”

He scoffed at her, then grinned wide. “They'd just call you 'The Red Illusionist.' Maybe you should dye your hair, that would certainly necessitate a change in your branding.”

Her expression grew sour. “Never. I'm not wearing a different robe, either.” She looked fondly down at the red embroidered robe that hugged the slim curves of her body, painstakingly enchanted to allow complete freedom of movement and provide protection from weather, steel, and magical assault. It also never needed to be washed and smelled faintly of vanilla. She thought that last enchantment was just as important as the others, especially on long adventures.

“You really are vain, Chara.” She slowly began to turn again, giving Maledroth one last foul look before turning her attention back to the mysterious stranger on the other side of the tavern. She was almost surprised to find him staring back at her, red eyes glowing beneath his hood, crooked nose barely visible in the shadows of the corner table.

“He's staring at me, Maledroth.”

“I'm sure that he is. Woman of your unparalleled beauty and power, any Troll in Norrath would be lucky to have you. Maybe he'll buy you a drink.” She could hear the satisfaction in Maledroth's voice, clearly pleased at his follow-up to their previous exchange.

“I am being serious, Maledroth. He is here for us.” Her tone was one Maledroth was familiar with after many years of adventuring, and the air between them shifted imperceptibly. Her traveling companion was often bored of life, the world, and her, but when the situation turned grave his focus was as keen as the edge of a blade. Hidden beneath the hood of his own cloak, Maledroth's full attention would now be fitted solely on the figure in the corner.

He began his analysis. “His cloak. The cloth. That is not a material commonly found on Antonica. Not leather, nor linen, and it's been enchanted.”

She nodded. “I'd noticed. His boots, too, though hard to see, are arcane forged. You can see the scoring left by the sigil weaving in the candle light.”

Maledroth had a better angle than she did, and he continued. “His posture. He was slouched when he entered the tavern, attempting to imitate the trolls found in this region. Now that he's in the shadows, he sits upright. He's wearing a tabard as well, though I'm unable to see enough to identify it. He's making efforts to keep it hidden.” Maledroth had superb vision, even in the dark, a gift from his Dark Elven heritage. “He's confident, too, Chara. He's staring at us, knowing exactly who we are, and is entirely unafraid. There is conviction in his eyes.” They both realized at the same time what had entered the out-of-the-way tavern in the dead of night. As if reading their minds, the figure stood and walked purposefully towards them, pulling back his hood and sweeping aside the folds of his cloak. His voice boomed and echoed through the small tavern as he spoke.

“Chara Aetheris and Maledroth Ty`Vex. My name is Tanvar Iricrex, Field Inquisitor of the Combine Empire and bestowed agent of the Praetor Inquisitor herself. By order of the Administratum Inquisitorum and our Emperor Tsaph Katta, you are coming with me.” He had drawn his weapon in one smooth motion as his words were startling the rest of the tavern-goers, and his shield appeared from behind him as he strode towards their table. The enchanted mace bore the tell-tale markings of the Combine's highest artificers, and the air around it crackled as it was raised into a ready position.

The previously bustling common-room had become deadly silent. Its patrons froze, unsure of what was to come next. Tanvar stopped just in front of Chara's seat. He motioned towards her, his hard-set expression revealing nothing.

“Now.”

-------------------------------------

Chara smiled brightly, tilting her head and gesturing as if she was going to stand. She spoke with a light, sing-song voice. “Field Inquisitor, it's really not necessary to use my full name, it's so unimaginative and I'd love it if you just called me Chara.” That much was true, at least. Her last name was another creation of simple minds, based entirely in the common tongue and literally meaning “ether is,” a reference to her origins that her adopted parents found clever. She hated it more than her nickname. She looked up at the troll, shrugging her shoulders innocently and brushing a strand of red hair from her face. Chara's bright green eyes were nearly a spell all to their own, and those looking at her felt enchanted. This is all a big misunderstanding, her expression seemed to say, and for a moment the tavern breathed a collective sigh of relief, convinced the night would pass without further incident.

As soon as her weight had shifted out of the chair, however, Chara spun to the side. Her movements would have been difficult, if not impossible, for an untrained eye to follow, but the Inquisitor was on her in a fraction of a heartbeat, his mace sundering the air as it flew towards her. She rolled, shifting her weight as she dropped backwards, landing in a crouched position as skillfully as any circus acrobat. He's quick.

She wove a rapid enchantment, barely having time to complete the casting before he was swinging again. This time she leapt backwards, and as the spell landed his movements slowed ever so slightly. To anyone watching it would seem that nothing had happened at all, but Chara was able to take advantage of the change, weaving to the side as the next blow came thundering towards her. She expended a small burst of power and brilliant lights erupted from everywhere at once, briefly turning the nearest tavern patrons into drooling statues, but the Combine troll was unaffected. She hopped backwards again as her agile footwork carried her away from the next few blows, gaining her precious seconds and distance from her opponent.

She concentrated, pulling energy directly from the aether of the void and focusing it on the stumbling Troll's mind. There was a sharp crack as her spell was released, the white-black energy of nothingness seemed to tear through reality as it struck the inquisitor's mind. He staggered sideways, dropping to one knee as blood began to slowly pour from his nose. A blood vessel had burst in one of his red eyes and the whites around that iris were now tinged red, giving the impression of an enraged demon. He growled as he surged forward, pushing off with his feet and instantly closing the gap she had created.

Chara was ready, and had nearly completed another burst of energy intended to finish the fight when an invisible crushing force hit her squarely in the chest. Her concentration was lost, and she took a step backwards to keep from being thrown to the ground. That moment was all the inquisitor needed, and a hail of blows rained down on her from every direction. She quickly regained her composure and began a graceful dance to avoid the incoming blows, but several made it through her defense, the enchanted mace impacting the runic shielding she used as a second skin with a sharp crack. Sparks flew and the barrier itself flared brightly as the mace bounced off her powerful enchantments. The inquisitor kept coming forward, knocking over tables and splintering chairs as he continued his relentless pursuit of Chara through the tavern's common-room.

She managed to sidestep, appearing clumsy as she did so and leaving herself open, but it was a deception on her part. The Inquisitor swung wildly, seeing an opportunity to land a finishing blow, and was visibly shocked when Chara immediately found her feet, pivoting away and tumbling to the side, putting significant distance between them. The Inquisitor stumbled forward, his full weight behind the attack, and crashed into the nearby bar, turning it to splinters as both his mace and plated body slammed to the floor.

Chara stole a concerned glance towards Maledroth, worried that something had stopped her companion from disintegrating the Combine agent. She was dumbfounded to find Maledroth reclined in his seat, feet on the table, slowly sipping wine from his glass with a bored look on his face.

“Maledroth! What are you doing? Help me!” She nearly shrieked and her voice cracked, only just managing to conceal her anger and surprise behind an urgent tone.

“Chara, he's a field inquisitor. He's barely above the rank and file. It's insulting that they'd send the common rabble to come deal with an Arcane Master such as myself. No, I won't have it. He's all yours. You enjoy the little things, I'm sure you're having a grand time.” Her shoulders dropped as her jaw went slack, and for a moment Chara felt the urge to dash towards him and shake him until he choked on his wine. Instead she poured her anger into another spell, this time focusing intently on invading her target's mind and removing it from existence forever.

He was already up and moving towards her when she released it. The air around him warped as color that was everything and nothing began spilling from the Troll's mouth. A look of confusion spread across his face as the cells in his brain were rapidly destroyed, chromatic energy tearing through the synapses between neurons. His body gave a violent shake and he attempted to scream as the energy scorched his mind, making every nerve in his large body cry out and then suddenly stop, the ability to feel completely removed. His stance wobbled as he looked again at Chara, the realization that he was already dead slowly dawning in his bewildered stare as void energy trailed from the corners of his eyes.

His body crumpled to the floor, lifeless long before it hit the ground.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  3. gotwar Gotcharms

No matter how tough you think you are, thought you were, you haven't been around long enough to be tested in many, many ways - John Varley, Wizard

Most of the tavern's customers had fled, though a few over-curious onlookers and one very frightened barkeep had remained. Chara eyed the stubby man cowering near the remains of the splintered bar, and for a moment it looked like he was going to say something. His face turned pink and then red as he looked over the bar, at the shattered glasses and destroyed chairs. Chara smiled warmly, focusing her gaze on the man and reaching out into his mind.

It's alright. This can all be replaced. You're alive and safe, that's all that matters. It seemed to be enough. He blinked twice in confusion, and then the man's expression softened as he slowly stood and ducked into the kitchen to grab a broom. You're going to need a shovel, too, she thought. She wheeled, turning towards Maledroth in a fury. Her eyes glowed with rage as she stormed towards him.

“Oh no! Heavens help me! The Red Mind-Melter is angry with me! Gods please save my wretched soul. My only regret is never having seen her naked.” He laughed heartily, clearly enjoying himself as he reclined in his chair, and was caught off-guard when Chara slammed into him, tipping him backwards and sending him sprawling across the tavern floor wearing a ridiculous expression of surprise and amusement.

“This is not a joke, you drunken fool! That wasn't some rank-and-file soldier. He was fast, and strong. He nearly shattered my enchantments without even trying. He was using divine magic. You could have snuffed him out at any time and you did nothing.” She was fuming.

Maledroth shifted into a sitting position, suddenly very sober and with an apologetic look on his face. “You were fine. I was watching. I've seen you handle half a dozen of equal skill without receiving so much as a scratch. If anything had truly gone wrong, I would have been there. I've grown quite fond of the unique brand of entertainment you bring to this world.” He took a moment to dust off his robes. “Besides, there are others, and I wasn't sure when they'd get here to intervene.” Some of Chara's rage subsided, and she threw him a questioning glance.

“What others?”

“Six or seven. They activated a portal device and arrived not far from here while you were fighting. I felt the surge right after you started rolling around like a child. One of them has raised a portal barrier. I am unsure of how long it will take for them to reach us. Why that one didn't wait is beyond me. He had to have known he didn't stand a chance.” He nodded towards the motionless body of the troll.

Chara was once again calm. “We need to leave, now. If there are more coming, they will not be pleased to discover their comrade is dead. There are innocents here, too. I'm not going to risk a fight that would put everyone in danger.” Maledroth raised an eyebrow, clearly unconcerned with a few burnt peasants. Chara usually spoke like an evil soulless witch, but deep down she had a good heart. It often agitated him. He got to his feet, dusted himself off, and sat back down in his chair. It was Chara's turn to look agitated. “This isn't a discussion, Maledroth, we are leaving!”

“They are here.”

She turned slowly, just in time to see Praetor Inquisitor Varyx Encelia stride into the tavern, flanked by five of her personal guards and a magio sorcerer.

Their eyes locked, and Chara's anger flared to life once again.

---------------------------------

“Miss Aetheris. How far you must have fallen for us to find you in such a ruddy establishment in the backwoods of Antonica. And I see your faithful pet is still at your side.” She leaned exaggeratedly to speak with Maledroth. “Still waiting around for your moment between the legs of The Red Enchantress, Wizard?” Varyx's expression was cold and unfeeling, but the hatred in her eyes was plain.

Maledroth smiled nonchalantly, unperturbed by her banter. “Varyx. Always a pleasure. You flatter me, but if I was interested in an emotionless romp in the sheets, I'd simply send for you. Your beauty and wisdom is only surpassed by the number of trolls that have spurned your salacious advances.” He gestured towards the dead troll on the tavern floor. “Was that one of them? We were wondering what would have led him to take his own life in such grand fashion. And how is Tsaph? Have you bored him back to sleep yet? It's a wonder he can stay awake listening to your droning council.”

Varyx frowned as her eyes fell to the corpse. “Was he so easily discovered? He was one of my most prized students, and quickly approaching his own position of leadership. We had considered giving him an illusion to serve as a disguise, but thought the enchantment would draw your attention were it sensed.”

“The agents of the Inquisitorum are as bumbling and conspicuous as ever, I'm afraid.” Maledroth bowed his head in false sympathy.

During the exchange Chara seethed with hate, staring daggers into Varyx. Her jaw was set as she gritted her teeth, and her hands trembled in clenched fists at her sides. The loathing she held for the Praetor Inquisitor went back years, to a time when she was still a little girl. Forcibly inducted into the Magus Colegium while only a child, her experience there was less as a student and more as an experiment to be studied. She still bore the scars of the Inquisitorum's collaboration with the school. She had repaid the debt left by those scars back to the Combine in kind, but as far as she was concerned the score would never be settled. She could already feel herself shaking as she summoned all of her considerable power to try and deal one massive fatal blow to the Praetor Inquisitor. It would likely fail, but she would die trying.

The hand on her back broke her concentration, and she was surprised to turn and see Maledroth giving her a warm smile. A rare gesture of comfort from her long-time traveling companion. His message was clear. Stay calm. Play this smart.

She tried to center herself by taking deep breaths. Maledroth was right, letting her anger guide her actions would only result in her untimely death. She closed her eyes and unclenched her fists, trying to let the anger subside as she swept the minds of those in front of her. Varyx was far too strong to try and manipulate, but there was a chance the others were open to coercion. She probed each one in turn, being as careful as she could to avoid detection, looking for the tell-tale signs of a strong will and training designed to prevent magical infiltration.

Got you. She found her target. He was younger than the rest, and less experienced, but most importantly his own innate will was weaker than the others. It would have been sufficient to pass the rigorous testing of the Magia who had evaluated him, but for her... She focused her essence, projecting herself deep within the man's own mind, and began quietly working her magic on the unprepared subject.

-----------------------------

“The two of you will accompany me back to Lceanium. There will be no further discussion on the matter. If you refuse, we'll be forced to take you against your will.” Varyx's tone made it clear she'd prefer the latter of the two options.

“I'd appreciate an explanation, Varyx. While I'm sure the Inquisitorum is used to having their orders followed by the common-folk, we're not citizens of the Combine Empire. If you'd like us to consider coming along willingly, we'll need to know why. Otherwise you can kindly take this pissing contest elsewhere.” The boredom in Maledroth's voice was edged with irritation.

“No explanation is needed, Wizard. You've been given an order. If you decline to follow it we'll be forced to arrest you.” She once again eyed the corpse of the fallen troll. “Be grateful you're even being presented the option, given the circumstances.”

Chara finally spoke for the first time since Varyx's arrival. “Then I believe we'll be forced to decline your offer.” She smiled sweetly, a cool hatred still burning in her eyes as she glowered at Varyx.

Varyx motioned towards her guards. “Very well. I prefer it this way. By order of the Administratum Inquisitorum, I'm placing you under arr-” Her words were cut short by the sickening sound of a blade entering deep into unprotected flesh. The magio at Varyx's side looked at her in disbelief, then down to the sword that had erupted from his stomach. Blood began to stain his robes and his face grew pale. His hands trembled as they touched the enchanted steel protruding from inside him, as if trying to affirm it was really there. The veins in his neck distended and began to blacken. Magicka siphoning, Chara mused. They probably never dreamed their own weapon's enchantments would be used against them.

The sword was quickly withdrawn from the dying mage, and the group exploded in a flurry. The unfortunate soldier, now under her complete control, began to defend himself from the two oncoming guards. The remaining three immediately turned towards her and Maledroth, their blades held at the ready. Varyx stood there in shock, unable to comprehend that one of her own had been so easily dominated.

Maledroth, still seated, made a quick motion with his wrist, and in an instant one of the three that had turned towards them was wreathed in lightning, already dead before the others realized he'd been hit. Chara reached out to the remaining two, placing an enchantment on the essential function in their minds that allowed them to breathe. They fell to their knees, clutching at their throats as they struggled for air in a wild panic. Wide, bloodshot eyes turned towards Varyx, pleading for help as their final breath was used against them, imploding their lungs. With a blood-choked cough they both keeled over, the rest of their life essence spilling out from their open mouths and onto the floor.

The remaining two guards were slammed into the ceiling, incinerated in fire, and thrown back down, in that order. Chara and Maledroth worked in unison to ensure there would be no opportunity for retaliation. They would have cried out were it not for the flame entering their throats and charring their larynges. Like their compatriots, they would soon be dead, writhing silently on the floor as their lives were snuffed out by the deadly combination of ethereal magic and chromatic force.

Varyx's face twisted in rage as her entire entourage was felled in a few short moments, her only remaining subordinate still wearing the blank expression of enchantment as he swung his sword towards her. Varyx's own sword was a blur, seemingly an extension of her very arm, as she easily parried the blow. In the same effortless motion, she made a downward cut towards her former compatriots shoulder. Despite the well-crafted plate-mail covering most of his body, Varyx found the weak point between plates, and her sword cleaved him from shoulder to hip in one clean motion. She carried the momentum through as she pulled the blade from his body in order to turn in the direction of Chara and Maledroth.

His empty expression turned to shock and then horror as Chara loosed her grip on his mind. The only thing holding his mangled figure together as he tumbled to the floor were the straps of the leather jerkin beneath his armor.

----------------------------------------

“W_h_o_r_e witch,” she spat. The hatred in Varyx's voice was palpable as she shouted. “Have you ever shared even one intimate connection with another that didn't begin with you forcing yourself upon their very soul?” So she was fond of that one, Chara thought. Good.

“I'm quite connected with Maledroth here, but I'm afraid I don't get intimate with my companions' nether bits. Just another instance where my philosophy on life differs from yours.”

Varyx trembled with rage. “Were it not for Tsaph's explicit request that you be brought back unharmed, you'd already be dead, Red Witch.”

“Oh gods. Please do not let “Red Witch” catch on,”Chara groaned quietly.

“If we're not to be harmed, what do you intend to do, Varyx my dear?” Maledroth's curiosity was genuine.

“Drag your unconscious bodies back across the sea, if I have to. You are only leaving this tavern over my lifeless body.”

“That is not likely to end well.” Varyx was furious, and strong, but Maledroth knew she was not stupid. Overcoming both of them while still holding back enough to let them live was not a scenario she was in favor of winning. Neither Chara nor himself would have such restrictions; Maledroth knew that killing her would make Chara the happiest girl on this plane and a dozen others. Still, he was interested in knowing why Tsaph would have summoned them so soon after their most recent visit...

As if on cue, Chara surged forward. She intended to take full advantage of the situation and oblige Varyx's invitation for death. Her fists flew at Varyx's unprotected face, imbued with spell-power and crackling as they soared through the air. It was an illusion, of course, and Varyx was never fooled. Her sword cut through the figure and it dissipated in a haze. Chara's position had shifted to another side of the tavern, partially cloaked in shadow, and she had already completed her first spell when Varyx spotted her. The invasive magic struck home, white-black energy once again ripping through the space in reality the room occupied, but Varyx was much stronger than her previous opponent. She shrugged off the attack, a single drop of blood running from her nose, and charged towards Chara. Varyx's speed was nearly unmatched on this plane, and there was no time to for Chara to react before she was frantically defending herself from the enraged Praetor Inquisitor's blows.

Chara once again attempted to slow her opponents attacks with a spell, weaving the same enchantment she'd used on the troll. Varyx sensed the attempt and steeled herself against the potent magic, resisting its effects as she continued her assault unhindered. Chara ducked and spun, attempting to use her preternatural agility and footwork to protect her, but Varyx was just as quick as her if not more so. She was fighting a losing battle, and more and more of Varyx's swings were connecting. She was in total defense mode, unable to counterattack with a spell or risk being struck full-force with one of Varyx's cuts. She needed to find an opening in order to separate herself from her adversary.

She saw her opportunity. Varyx launched a massive overhead swing, her full weight behind her sword. She would be over-extended if she missed. Chara deftly stepped to the side, intending to circle Varyx and push her forward with a burst of magic while she was off-balance, but it was all a feint. As soon as Chara was committed to the maneuver, Varyx's weight shifted. The force of the swing was instantly stopped and then channeled into a powerful sideways chop, her feet planted and her hips turned to complete what would have been a killing strike were it not for Chara's runic shield. The swing connected squarely with her ribcage, completely shattering her magical barrier even as it launched her sideways. She lurched, trying to find her footing through the searing pain of a broken rib, failing, and then slamming her head on a nearby table as she stumbled to the floor.

Stars exploded all around her from the blow, and her sense of awareness blurred. She had just enough time for a feeble attempt at erecting her runic shielding before Varyx's steel boot filled her vision and Chara's world faded to black.
  4. gotwar Gotcharms

You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way – Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

The quiet in the common-room was unsettling after the evening's events. The only sound that could be heard was the labored breathing of Varyx, still standing over the unconscious form of her opponent. All of her charges had taken their last breaths, and the stillness that remained accentuated the painful reality of what had happened. She knew every member of her honor guard personally. She knew their families. They were good men who would sacrifice their lives for the Empire without hesitation. For their lives to be taken so callously was unthinkable.

It's not as though they weren't prepared. One didn't become a member of the Inquisitorum due to its reputation for safety. They were specially trained to hunt, capture, and interrogate Norrath's most dangerous wizards and sorcerers. It wasn't the line of work people chose if they feared death. She knew each one was prepared to die in the line of duty. Still, the pain of their loss and the dull realization that they were gone left a pit in her stomach. She struggled to contain her anger as she looked down at the crumpled body of the witch that had turned Markus on them. Markus...

It was against Inquisitorum policy for ranking officers to have intimate associations with a subordinate. This held especially true for one of her stature. It was completely unacceptable for the Praetor Inquisitor to act on feelings for someone working beneath her. That was exactly what she told him when they were wrapped in each other's arms, lost in bliss. He was young, with a passion for law and a conviction for the righteousness of the Empire that inspired her. His advances had been formal, but direct, and she had quickly become taken with him. It was the first time in a long time she'd allowed herself the luxury of feelings.

And this abhorrent creature lying beneath her had ended it all. More than ended it, she'd invaded the sanctity of Markus' soul, bending him to her will, twisting him into something wretched. It was tantamount to , and in some ways far more cruel. Markus' last memories would have been killing his friends, unable to stop the magical domination wreaked upon his mind. He may have even enjoyed it; Chara's power was so great, and at times uncontrollable, that it wasn't unheard of for her own emotions to be transferred in the link between minds woven by her spells. The thought of this disgusting woman reveling in her companion's mind as he murdered his friends made her want to vomit.

In Markus' last moments, he was struck down by the very love he risked everything to be with, and it was all because of Chara. She would never forget the horrified look in his eyes as his mind was released from the spell. She would never forgive the evil that had been wrought here tonight.

Chara Aertheris would die for her crimes.

--------------------------------------

The tavern was in ruins, and Maledroth was finally ready to be relieved of his seat. It was one of the few remaining in the common-room, and he'd guarded its limited comfort tenaciously with his dark-elven posterior. Seeing the inquisitor's quiet rage brewing, however, meant it was time to play his part in tonight's entertainment.

Looking around, nearly every table, chair, and fixture in the tavern had been splintered, exploded, or burnt. The curtains on the windows had been incinerated by his pyrotechnics display, and the roof itself had erupted outwards from the impact of the two helpless Combine. There was a significant amount of blood spilled over the floor, still pooled around the lifeless corpses littering the common-room. All of the tavern's patrons – the ones who hadn't been smart enough to leave during Chara's fight with Tanvar – had fled. The barkeep was nowhere to be found, having made a hasty exit as soon as Varxy's entourage had entered. It wasn't worth his life to stay and protect this failing business, he'd thought. Sod the tavern. It wasn't doing that well anyway.

That just left Maledroth and the Inquisitor, along with a small pile of destroyed furniture, seven Combine corpses, and Chara's softly breathing form in a heap on the floor. He peered towards her as he stood, noticing that her nose had been broken and was bleeding. He suspected at least one of her ribs was cracked from the Praetor Inquisitor's attack, and was most assuredly affected by a concussion. She'd need to be attended to soon or risk further injury. His sudden movement roused Varyx from her internal struggle, and she raised the point of her sword at him.

“Do not move, Elf.”

“Put your sword down, Varyx. This fight has ended. We will accompany you willingly.”

Varyx's face contorted in rage, but only for a moment. Her head was still bowed, fixated on Chara's unconscious form. Her cold expression returned as she spoke. “This is not what I would have called 'willingly.'”

“This was your choice, Varyx. You sauntered up to the most powerful and volatile sorceress in all of Norrath and expected her to acquiesce to your orders without incident. That's to say nothing of your own personal history together. What did you expect would happen?” Maledroth was sneering. He held no love for the Combine or Varyx. Still, he needed to be careful. The forbidden connection between Varyx and the one Chara had chosen as her subject was clear, and pushing her too far could result in the Inquisitor disobeying her orders. Love made mortals do stupid things.

“Then why didn't you intervene? We both know you could have stepped in at any moment. I would not have been able to overpower both of you at the same time. I would be dead, and you would be free to go.” This time she lifted her head to look at Maledroth, and it may have been the dim light of the tavern, but he thought he saw a tear in the corner of her eye. “Why am I still here?”

“Why are any of us here, dear Varyx?” He was mocking her, but her shoulders seemed to relax. He nodded towards Chara. “Why is she here? You and I both know she shouldn't be. Everything has its purpose. Not by some divine plan put in place by a mysterious all-knowing god, but by the toiling of everyday beings that make it so. The universal puppet masters pulling the strings that bind us all.” It was poetic enough to make him nauseous, but grounded in fact and cryptic enough hold an air of mystery. He rather liked it. He suspected Varyx did not. “Your strings have been pulled, Varyx. Now stop sulking and dance.”

“Then it would seem yours are about to be pulled as well, but that's not an answer, mage.”

Maledroth sighed, then paused, unsure of how much of his true intentions he was willing to reveal. “I'd like to know what Tsaph wants. After all the trouble we caused the last time we were called to Lceanium, I'm surprised he'd be beckoning us again so soon. It must be something very interesting if he's summoned Chara Aetheris to his Empire once again.”

Varyx cracked a smile. “It is very interesting, though you may wish that your insatiable curiosity had left you tonight. I'm sure you needn't be convinced of my sincerity when I say if there was any other individual that could help, I wouldn't be here. Tsaph has something to show you both, something meant only for Chara.”

That was enough to both pique his curiosity and raise his ire at her cryptic explanation. He probably deserved it, but was bothered nonetheless. “Very well. Let me attend to her before we go.” He began to approach his companion, but Varyx stepped to block his path.

“You will not touch her, Wizard. I'll not have you pulling tricks to escape.”

Maledroth rolled his eyes in exaggerated fashion. “If I'd wanted to escape, we'd already be gone. Your fallen magio's portal barrier faded shortly after his death. We could have left at any time. Besides, she is hurt, and needs to be magically bound for the journey. If she awoke she could injure herself further.” He left out the significant chance that she'd fly into a rage knowing she was being detained by the Praetor Inquisitor herself.

Varyx let out a long, defeated sigh. “Make it quick, we have a long journey ahead.”

Maledroth knelt next to Chara, pulling a small pouch from inside his robes. He untied the chord around its opening and pinched a bit of powder between his thumb and forefinger. After setting the pouch down, he reached forward and opened Chara's mouth, cautiously inserting the pinch of powder between her lower lip and gums. He took care not to touch the inside of her mouth with his unwashed hands. It wasn't the most sanitary medical care he'd given, but it would do. He pressed her bottom lip against her gums so the powder would dissolve, and then tied the chord around the pouch and put it back in his robes. The refined powder would induce a state of paralysis deep within her bones, keeping most of her frame taut and reduce the risk of further injury. It would also keep her asleep long enough for them to reach their destination.

“Long journey?” He said. “I will teleport us there. We'll have you back home before you can say 'witch.'” He tenderly felt across Chara's ribcage, trying to identify any broken bones. There was a break in at least one, possibly another. It was fairly serious and would need a real healer's attention.

“Do you think I'm a fool? I'm not going to let you teleport me anywhere. We'll find horses, then ride for the docks in Qeynos. There's a Combine ship that will take us directly to Kunark. It will take several days over land and a week at sea, at most.”

Maledroth held up his hand. “No. Wizards do not ride. We do not mount, we aren't ridden, and we most certainly aren't shipped. I prefer the ground under my feet or the warm hum of the in-between around my person. No. This journey will be a short one or there will be no journey at all. We can take our leave of you at any time. Besides, do you really intend to keep us bound and gagged for weeks as we frolic across Antonica and boat our way across the sea? What happens when she wakes?” He pulled a cloth from his robes and wiped the blood from beneath Chara's broken nose. “We are ready. Which will it be, Inquisitor?”

Varyx had considered that. She'd hoped it was possible to keep Chara in an enchanted sleep for the entire journey, with Maledroth's help of course, but hadn't gotten too far into the details of her plan. Her magio's portal wand would have been sapped by Markus' enchanted blade and wouldn't function.

“How will you bring us to the Lceanium spire? Your attunement to that portal was revoked. Despite your considerable power, even you can't penetrate that barrier. We'd be scattered into the nothingness and lost forever.”

Maledroth raised an eyebrow. “That's not how it works. Truly, they should teach you better at the Inquisitorum. Regardless, you are correct; I am no longer able to transport to the Combine spire in Lceanium. However, the last time I was there, I placed my own portal stone in an unassuming location in the very heart of the city. You never know when a clandestine entrance into the seat of the Combine Empire's power could be useful.” He chuckled. “Really, your 'arcane masters' have such poor security. It's a wonder the city is still standing in one piece. Maybe I'll show them a thing or two about portal magics while I'm there.”

Varyx glowered at him. She debated her options for a moment before nodding.

“Fine. But no tricks or I'll strike you down, even if it means we all die.”

“I wouldn't expect any less. Now, if you'll kindly follow me outside, the last time I tried opening a portal of this magnitude in a place such as this, we arrived with wooden splinters.” He carefully picked up his unconscious companion and headed for the door, gesturing for Varyx to follow. As they stepped outside, he set her down in the grass and began invoking the spell that would carry them hundreds of miles across the land and sea to the far-off continent of Kunark.

“You know Varyx, each time you meet, Chara gets stronger, and you stay the same. It won't be long before she snuffs you out as easily as a fire beetle under a giant's boot. Prepare yourself.”

Varyx's stomach lurched. She felt her insides being pulled in every direction as the world around her stretched and folded, and she could hear the familiar hum as the space between reality was opened. There was a blinding flash as their physical forms began to converge and slip into the nothingness.

And then the field was empty, leaving the shattered tavern and broken corpses as evidence of Chara's destructive existence.
  5. gotwar Gotcharms

Never laugh at live dragons – J.R.R Tolkein

Chara awoke with a start, sitting up quickly and immediately regretting it. There was a sharp pain in her side, and her vision spun as she tried to steady herself. Her robe had been removed and she was wearing a white linen tunic. She was reasonably sure she had pants on, but it was hard to tell while the room was still spinning. She closed her eyes and laid back down, touching her side gingerly to assess the damage. There were no broken ribs, but the places she felt were sore to the touch. She was definitely wearing pants. Not that she minded her own nudity, but being as she had no idea where she was, how she got here, or who had changed her, it was a relief to know she wasn't bare from the waist down. Her thoughts continued to ramble, still somewhat fragmented as her mind worked through the fog.

Suddenly, her eyes snapped open again. The room was spinning much more slowly now, and she could start to make out the details of the architecture surrounding her. I'm in Lceanium. The events leading up to her unconsciousness started flooding back to her. The fight with the troll, Maledroth's sarcastic jibes, Varyx's appearance in the tavern...

Varyx.

She sat up once again, this time intent on getting her bearings. She scanned the sparsely decorated room. The bed she was lying in was large; it would easily fit three more of her with room to spare. There was a carved wooden nightstand next to her atop which sat an enchanted candle. Above her was a skylight with a smooth shaft leading upwards, and daylight was streaming in from the glass pane at the top. A stone door was shut on the opposite side of the room. It was the same heavy door that was imbued with magic that allowed it to open – or seal itself shut – at an occupants command. It was just as good as a jail-cell door when it needed to be, and far more convenient for the jailor. The only other fixture in the room was a red fabric chair with her robe neatly folded on its cushion.

Chara rolled out of the bed and stood, slowly. Her legs felt wobbly beneath her, and for a moment she was afraid she'd fall down. She steadied herself on the nightstand, and when she felt confident she could walk, went over to the chair. She was relieved to find her robe in one piece, unfolding it and laying it out on the bed to inspect it. Once she was satisfied, she stripped off the clothes she'd been inserted into, taking care not to touch her rib-cage, and slipped the red robe over her head. The familiar feel of its fabric was immediately comforting, and she felt a little better than she had a moment before. She smoothed out the folds knowing there wouldn't be any wrinkles, the robe always fit perfectly by design, but needing to distract herself from her present situation. With everything in order, she turned towards the door.

To her surprise, the door swung open at her touch. She peered through the door frame, seeing a long marbled hallway extending in either direction. Ducking back inside the small room, Chara took a brief moment to summon her runic shield. The ancient sigils flared across her skin as the powerful protective magic was set in place. They glowed brightly for a moment and then faded, leaving no indication of their presence. Nodding to herself, she stepped through the doorway and into the hall.

In one direction, the hallway ended in a T-junction, with a closed door at its head. In the other there appeared to be a larger opening that segued into a small common-room. There were several chairs and a table, as well as the familiar glow of an enchanted fire. Deciding to head in that direction, she attempted to remain quiet as she padded down the hallway. She tried the nearest door, touching her hand to its carved stone surface, but it was locked and stayed shut. Chara continued down the hallway and emerged in the small common-room. Seated at one of the tables calmly reading a large dusty book was Maledroth.

-----------------------------

He turned to her as she entered. “You're awake.” Gone was much of the bravado and confidence Chara had been so full of the other night. Maledroth watched as she stepped into the room, looking like nothing so much as a lost child. It was easy for him to forget that this woman, one of the most deadly mortals in existence, was still barely more than a child. Maledroth, quickly approaching 250 years of age, was ten times her senior. Despite the arrogance Chara usually overflowed with, she still had much to learn. He looked back down at his book. “Do you need a hug?”

Chara's cynical stare was audible. “No Mal, I do not need a hug.” She strode towards him, slamming his book down on the table in frustration. “Why are we here?”

It was rare to hear her call him 'Mal,' and it was usually a sign that she was unsure of herself. Her frustration masked the edge of fear in her voice, but Maledroth knew better. The woman standing in front of him wasn't the powerful sorceress he'd seen laughing gleefully as she slayed a dozen Combine soldiers. It was the young, frightened girl he'd extricated from the Magus Colegium so long ago. It was hard to judge which was more dangerous.

“I do so love the Combine library. They have texts here so old they require special magics to keep from falling apart. Some of their librarians are four times my age, with stories of ancient texts lost to time and memory.” He looked up at her again, another rare, comforting smile on his face. “We are here because this is where we want to be.”

Chara shot him a quizzical look, looked as if she wanted to say something, and then started to sway on her feet. She sat down quickly, head in hands, and quietly groaned. “My head hurts.”

“Even the best clerics will have trouble mending such a large head.” Chara peered at Maledroth through the gaps in her fingers. He was grinning. “You hit that table so hard they heard the resulting thump in Freeport. Varyx's enormous boot didn't help much, either. How a human woman grew to have feet the size of an ogre is beyond my comprehension. It must take an army of artificers an entire season just to craft a single replacement.”

It was Chara's turn to grin, and she slowly slid her hands down her face to try and hide her expression from Maledroth. It felt ridiculous to be sharing a joke after what they'd just went through, but she couldn't help herself. After a moment of quiet chuckling, her face turned serious again.

“Varyx. How long was I out for?”

“A little over a day.”

Chara leapt from her chair. “An entire day!” The frantic look in her eyes made her concern clear.

“I gave you some nightshade extract. You were badly injured, and I needed you to stay safe for the journey and asleep long enough for the Combine's healers to fix you. We're in the heart of Lceanium. The last thing we need is for you to be broken in the center of the enemy stronghold.”

She relaxed. Being unconscious for a day from a blow to the head was enough to cause brain damage. She was grateful that it had been medically induced. She must have been worse off than she'd initially thought. Suddenly a memory came cascading back, and her hands shot up to her nose.

“It's straight. It was broken in three places. The Combine's Medicum Colegium is top-notch here in Lceanium. I told them there'd be hell to pay if Chara Aetheris emerged from their care with a crooked witch nose, and that it wouldn't come from me. That seemed to motivate them.”

An audible sigh of relief. Chara liked her nose. It was one of the few features she thought fit her face properly.

“Have I told you how vain you are, Chara?”

“Every time I look in the mirror.” They chuckled together again. This time it felt even more out of place, which only made them laugh harder. After a long minute and a few tears, they both settled back down. “What happened?”

“You thought you saw an opportunity against Varyx. You didn't. You have far more experience than I do in close-quarters combat, and even I could see her feint. You got careless. Simple as that.”

Chara didn't like being scolded, but knew he was right. “What were you doing during all of this?”

“I was sitting, and watching. You put up a good fight, but were out-classed from the beginning. Regardless, if you'd stayed calm and kept your head about you, you'd have had a chance. Take this as a lesson for the future.”

She nodded reluctantly. “What about after I was knocked-out? Did Varyx arrest you?”

He scoffed. “Of course not. I submitted willingly. As I said, this is where we want to be. Tsaph has something to show you. I know not what it is, but we'll soon find out. It must be important for him to send Varyx after you.”

Leaning back in her chair, Chara tried to think. Her head still hurt, and if she was being honest with Maledroth she would have told him she wanted to leave. She didn't like being here. The Inquisitorum was here, and she'd had enough of that place to fill ten lifetimes. She shivered involuntarily. Inquisitors liked believing they were a force for good in this world. Chara didn't believe the forces of good would steal little girls from their beds in the dead of night and experiment on them. Her hands went to the scars on her stomach. Good people didn't leave their patients awake during the procedures, claiming they needed to observe their reactions. Chara had decided long ago that the Combine Empire, or at the very least, their investigative arm, was not a force for good.

The last time she'd been here, she'd also been summoned, and guaranteed protection by the Magus Colegium. One of the few people she trusted in this world, an old professor, had ensured her safe passage. It had been a trick, and the city of Lceanium had suffered for the betrayal. Soldiers, men, women, children, it hadn't mattered in her blind rage. Everyone was the enemy, and everyone needed to be punished. She had completely lost control, consumed entirely by her burning hatred. Chara had littered the streets with corpses before Maledroth had dragged her out of the city, still shrieking in fury. Sometimes she awoke in the middle of the night to their haunted screams, drenched in sweat and terror.

Chara didn't think of herself as an evil person. She didn't enjoy killing. Quite the opposite, she considered herself a good person. Callous at times, and certainly quick to anger, but willing to put her life on the line to protect the innocent. That's what she liked to tell herself, at least. Her suffering at the hands of the Inquisitorum had shattered her mind and her soul, and it could be hard to tell right from wrong. She often wondered if there was a difference. It was all about perspective; there is no black and white, only shades of grey. It was something Maledroth told her often.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sounds of heavy footfalls. A figure appeared in the hallway leading from the common-room, a portly fellow dressed in bright Combine blues. He stepped all the way into the room before standing upright and at attention.

“Our lord Emperor Tsaph Katta is ready for you. Please follow me.”
  6. gotwar Gotcharms

Chara had only met Tsaph Katta once. She had been a little girl, still enrolled in the Colegium, near the end of her stay there. He had been on one of his regular visits to the school, inspecting the new scholars and future magus ready to enter into service with the Combine Empire. It was an inflated occasion with much pomp and circumstance. All the students were lined up in meticulous ranks, those soon to graduate in the front, and newly inducted students in the back. It resembled a military assembly, with an arcane flair thrown in to differentiate itself from the Strategum Colegium they held a fierce rivalry with.

Chara had been standing somewhere in the middle. Even her shy nature necessitated stealing a glance at the great Emperor, before she'd known more about the world and the Combine. She was tall for her age, and had earned a sour look from her teacher when she could be seen craning for a better look at their passing leader. He was a grand sight, radiating charisma and force of personality. Like all great leaders, his mere presence inspired his subjects, and the collegiate was always in awe of his arrival.

While peering over the shoulders of her fellow students, Tsaph had locked eyes with her. He had smiled, turned, and began walking directly towards her. Ranks parted as hundreds of students made way for Emperor Katta, who was making a beeline for the shy, unassuming red-headed girl who'd made no real distinction for herself among the students at the school. The teachers, of course, new better, as did Tsaph.

He walked right up to her and shook her hand. Gasps from the gathered students and curious citizens echoed throughout the parade grounds. He still wore a smile as he put his hands on her shoulders, kneeling slightly to meet her eye to eye.

“Chara Aetheris. I'm honored to count you among the citizens of Lceanium and the esteemed ranks of the Colegium. I await the day you enter into my service.” His voice was cool and warm at the same time, projecting confidence and understanding. Despite the fear and confused hatred she already held for her masters at the school, those words had a profound effect on her. After that meeting she'd pursued her studies with a renewed vigor, doing everything she could to meet this man's approval. Her torture at the hands of the Inquisitorum had stopped that day, though she was too young and naive to make the connection. She later realized what had happened, and the significance of that short encounter.

Emperor Tsaph Katta had taken an interest in her.

-------------------------------

Tsaph's personal briefing room was a spartan location, being designed to fulfill its purpose and not much else. Tsaph preferred it that way, and would turn away his advisors that insisted such an important room required more decoration. There was a large rectangular table surrounded by simple wooden chairs, with three large curtain-less plain glass windows. A single side table held pitchers and glasses for water. There was not much else. Unlike most rooms in the Lceanium Temple Proper, this one was Tsaph's own and he demanded it fit his functional specifications.

A large map of Norrath was spread out across the table, with each of the major continents drawn in great detail. Small military figurines littered its surface. It all looked disturbingly like a child's game, but Tsaph and his advisors knew it was all too real. They were fighting battles on multiple fronts in their attempt to reclaim and expand the Combine Empire's territory, and while the Combine's resources were vast, their most valued asset was a millenia of brilliant military strategic thinking.

Chara had never seen this room before, having only visited this wing of the temple once. It was cordoned off from the rest of the building with a secret entrance, and was well guarded. Nothing came or went without a dozen high-ranking officials knowing every detail of the persons and their intentions. Once inside this room, however, all scrying magics were rendered inert. Powerful enchantments blocked all attempts to watch what happened here.

Tsaph was leaned over the map on the table when she entered, staring intently at the southern region of Norrath. He was tall and wore a long dark red Combine trench-coat. It was almost entirely unadorned, save a few golden buttons polished to a fine sheen. Despite his young appearance, looking to be in his 30's at most, his hair was peppered with grey and he had eyes that hinted at the long centuries of his existence. The only other fixture in the room was Varyx, standing stone faced off to the side. Her eyes followed Chara as she entered, escorted by Maledroth, and it was clear she didn't approve of their presence. When she'd reached the end of the table, Tsaph looked up, a warm greeting on his face.

“Chara. You do prefer being called Chara, yes? I hear all sorts of nicknames these days. It's been a long time.” He started over to her, and she was left blinking dumbly when he put his arms around her, giving her a light embrace before continuing. “I trust you didn't have much trouble getting here.” He shot a disapproving glare at Varyx.

Varyx sputtered,“My lord Emperor, I-”

“Enough, Varyx. We will speak later. Leave us.”

Varyx bowed curtly and marched out of the room, furious at the being dismissed so quickly.

“Chara, we have much to discuss. Your last visit here was a tragedy for all involved, and I wish we'd had the opportunity to speak sooner. I can't apologize enough for the events that transpired, both during your tenure at the Colegium and upon your return to my city. I ensure you that those involved have been punished severely. None of that was ever given my approval.” Tsaph had genuine concern in his eyes. “That is not the way the Empire operates.”

Chara found herself nodding. The sheer force of this man's charisma was plain, and it far outpaced her own. She considered herself a bit of a con-artist; it was a fascinating hobby, using one's personality to convince and manipulate, but Tsaph could talk a priest of Marr into walking down the street naked singing the praises of Innoruuk. It was easy to see how this man had so quickly renewed the might of the Combine Empire.

“Emperor Katta, why are we here?” Maledroth inquired as formally as he could muster.

“Maledroth Ty`Vex. Please, call me Tsaph. I've heard many things about you, though few of them are good. Regardless, you've found the heart to take care of this one, and for that I owe you a debt of gratitude. You were able to do what I could not.”

Maledroth was taken aback by the statement. It wasn't often someone thanked him, least of all for something involving Chara. He opened and closed his mouth, did so again, then kept it shut. A rare moment when Maledroth Ty`Vex could find no words.

“I understand your surprise. I wish I had more time to explain, but there are urgent matters to discuss.” He motioned towards the table. “Please, sit.”

Chara and Maledroth each found their way into a chair, finding them uncomfortably hard and rigid. It was then that Chara heard something in the back of her mind. It sounded impossibly ancient, lost to time and legend. Like a scratch you couldn't itch, it began whispering. At first it was faint and she was unable to discern what it was saying. She tilted her head, attempting to listen to the white noise slowly getting louder in her ears.

Chara Aetheris... child of the Void …

“I find that having comfortable chairs encourages laziness and slow thinking. The more uncomfortable they are, the more likely my advisors are to stand and pay attention. It's the little things that help motivate people.” He winked at Chara, who was lost in her head and completely oblivious to the gesture. “But onto why you are here. You've traveled a long way and I'll not keep you waiting.”

“My agents have been all over Norrath, scouring the continents for information. Usually this is for strategic purposes, but sometimes they find something of far more interest than troop strengths.” He paused, his eyes far away and lost in thought.

Chara could still make out the whisperings coming from a place deep inside her mind. The white noise was getting louder, approaching a dull screech as Maledroth and Tsaph continued. It was getting hard to hear, and it didn't bother her in the slightest. What was that noise?

Chara Aetheris... the girl with the chromatic soul...

Maledroth broke the silence. “So they've found something, then? What does this have to do with us?”

Tsaph nodded. “Not you. Her.” Tsaph reached into his coat pocket and threw a small object onto the table.

Chara felt as if she'd been struck by lightning. Her head was spinning again, and her vision faded at the edges. Her eyes were fixated on the small object Tsaph had so casually tossed onto the table in front of them. It was small, and shimmered with every color of light all at once. The voice now boomed in her ears, and the static cacophony of the white noise reached a thundering crescendo.

CHARA AETHERIS... FOR EONS I'VE WAITED FOR YOU. FIND ME.

The screeching continued, and she was sure she was going to pass out. She still felt dizzy, and reached out to Maledroth to steady herself. Her head swam as she tried to comprehend what had just happened.

“Chara, are you alright? What did you hear? What did you see?” Tsaph leaned in, eager for her response. Maledroth placed his arm around her shoulder tightly.

It was a long time before the noise began to subside and she was able to speak. “I.. There was a voice... It was calling to me from far away. It got louder and louder, and when you produced that object … it sounded as if it were screaming at me.” Her words were halted and slow.

“I suspected as much. Our most powerful arcanists and scientists could hear it calling, too, though it was very faint and took much work to decipher. It's calling out from the Void, and projecting a significant amount of energy to do so. We are unable to find its origin.”

“But what is it?” Maledroth was now concerned. If something from the Void was beckoning Chara, it was a very bad portent.

“Look closely at it, both of you.”

They leaned in, though Chara was cautious. They looked carefully, trying to see through the shimmering multi-colored light to the object beneath it. The light stung Chara's eyes and made her head hurt, but she couldn't look away. After a few long moments, Maledroth jumped from his seat in surprise, stumbling backwards, eyes wide with fear. It took Chara longer to realize what it was she was looking at, but when she did, her eyes filled with terror, too.

It was a prismatic dragon scale.

Tsaph nodded gravely.

“Yes. Kerafyrm has once again awoken, and he's calling for Chara Aetheris.”

**********************************************************************************