Ambiguous wording on TLP rules

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xanadas, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Xanadas Augur

No, they stated "and Yelinak, a more traditional progression server similar to the rules for Mangler."

When describing Vaniki, they made no comparisons in rulesets. The two servers were described in independent phrases only separated by a comma. Poor wording choices creates ambiguity.
  2. Gormgeous Elder

I mean we are a global crowd. Wording is hard. Similar is by default ambiguous to me.
  3. Thewiz Augur

I would imagine they will clarify the rulesets for both servers in more detail in a couple weeks. Hopefully sooner. Although who doesn't enjoy several dozen threads arguing truebox or not?
    Overcast451, Corvo and Gormgeous like this.
  4. Captain Video Augur

Sometime next week, DPG will be hosting an open social event in their lunchroom, to which all players living in the San Diego area will be invited. The visitors will be divided into two groups, those who want Truebox at one end, and those who don't at the other. A large rope will be provided. The winner of the tug-or-war will decide it.
  5. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

This made me belly laugh! Keep 'em coming!
  6. Gormgeous Elder

There is a boxer bring friends joke in here, but we don't have any... :(
  7. Kahna Augur

I'm not "Pro-truebox" I don't actually care which way it goes, but I and most of the other folks here can read the writing on the wall.
    HowDidIEndUpBackHere likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The devs do not like "changing rule-sets" they like the ruleset on day one to be the ruleset just before the TLP becomes a Live server.

However...

I have argued that the Live Servers themselves have changed rulesets.
    Example 1 - the one client per PC restriction was removed around DoDH on Live
    Example 2 - in 2012 Live Servers got F2P

So bearing the above precedents in mind I have for the past few years been saying that Truebox should follow that same example and be switched off around DoDH, more recently I have changed my stance to think that after PoP is an even better point to remove it on TLP given that typically TLP servers open around the time last Year's TLP are exiting PoP.

You only have to look at how well Ragefire & Rizlona have retained players due to them having no Truebox to see the value here.
    But I don't think Truebox is all-bad either, it's good for the game up to PoP, after that it's really not needed as so much of the game becomes instanced after that point, before that EQ is very much Open World.
  9. HowDidIEndUpBackHere Elder

That was a restriction? I 2boxed on the Combine (2005 or 2006?). 2005 is when DoDH came out. I feel like I never had any issues ever in EQ with a one client per PC restriction. But then again my memory is pretty bad.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There were plenty of workarounds for it so a lot of folks had been boxing long before that point, and yeah a lot of folks have forgotten about it.
    The change meant even non-technical players could try boxing & you didn't need 3rd party stuff to do it.
    After all EQ originally had no windowed mode, and it was a while before it did, swapping between 2 full-screen EQ's would get you a device error most of the time, windowed really heralded boxing for all on live servers.
  11. Trox2010 Augur

There is also precedent for a TLP to change rulesets prior to launch; Mangler's basee ruleset was completely revamped into what is considered the "base" or "traditional" ruleset we have today.

So there is a slim hope for those that want a non-True Box server, but you are going to have to melt these forums down to get DPG to listen to you. The first step for you is to admit that these servers are going to be True Box; that True Box enabled servers are the standard going forward. Then you can start your Quest to have True Box removed from Vaniki and/or Yelinak. Personally I think you have a better chance to have it removed from Vaniki, but if you want to try and get it removed from Yelinak have at it. I personally have zero cares either way on this; I will be playing Yelinak on day one True Box or no True Box.

I do also agree that True-Box should just be done away with around PoP-GoD era.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Elabone Augur

Still clutching with all the hope you have, no matter how many people tell you otherwise. Very sad.
  13. Gormgeous Elder

Other than forumquesters, the only person who told me anything is Accendo. And he said there is no official word on truebox status for the two new servers.

Confirmed on discord that the true box rules haven't settled yet.

So again, I request Free Trade and no true box please.
    Elabone likes this.
  14. Overcast451 Augur

Well, without going real deep here. It might be that the full ruleset hasn't been determined down to certain specifics yet, but those will be the 'general' concepts. o_O
  15. Kahna Augur

It seems we were all wrong.

True Box: Both Vaniki and Yelinak will have Mangler-style True Box enabled at launch. When Yelinak unlocks Omens of War, we will enable Relaxed True Box. This means that you can have up to 3 clients per computer logged into the server at the same time. When Vaniki unlocks Prophecy of Ro, we will enable Relaxed True Box there. When each server reaches The Buried Sea, we will disable True Box on the server that has just reached The Buried Sea. This only applies to these servers and any other True Box / not True Box rules remain the same.
  16. Gormgeous Elder

17. Thewiz Augur

What they have decided to do with relaxed true box looks like a pretty good idea to me.
    Zrender likes this.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

19. Gormgeous Elder

If anything I'm more likely to wait for Mischief to have relaxed boxing rules because the raise hell on forums/discord for it.

I have 0 interest in playing a single character per pc again ever.