Alternate Personas ETA?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by DillyBar, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Definitely, yes. And I use mine frequently right on cooldown, so it's 15 minutes, no doubt.

The red refresh timer countdown works and is set to 15 minutes, as well as the mouse hover timer countdown.
    Randomized likes this.
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

How does the ability to swap on the fly or not change how you intend to use them?
  3. Micker99 Augur

What are you talking about? That is the exact same thing as making an alt. What is the difference lol? It's even worse, because you can't switch to your persona, without running to some fast camp zone, then have to get back. An alt you can just camp at that spot and login them in right there, whenever you want. I don't think you understand what the massive difference is of swapping to a persona in any zone or only fast camp, it's night and day difference of how useful it is. There is no progression or flagging that would make that a better decision.
  4. Oscig Elder

Because they intend to use them as a way to access utility that would otherwise not be available to their character, something I don't think was ever intended which we can infer from the recent changes despite lack of any dev feedback.
  5. Micker99 Augur

Which is 90% of what people looked forward to and made them useful. Hoping that text was just a typo. On Beta, they don't have that limitation of fast camp zones only, to switch. That would make one of the coolest new features of the game, pretty much worthless.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

I was more responding to the guy who was happy with them removing the ability to change anywhere and then proceeded to explain how he intends to use them which would work regardless of where you can swap.
    And access to utility that is not available to your character is kind of the selling feature of them, otherwise they are just name sharing alts?
    Micker99 likes this.
  7. Alnitak Augur

The ability to not swap on the fly changes how I intend to use them in an indirect way of saving developers' time by not wasting it on a useless, malicious and abusive feature of "on the fly" Persona change, which will only create massive imbalances in the game and cause very same developers to spend lots and lots of time trying to fix those imbalances.
    Quick-camp-zones Persona change is some evolved form of Shroud 2.0, when Personas are real capable classes with regular play rules apply. Currently Personas add and expand the EQ game-play, meanwhile I have a firm opinion that "on-the-fly" class change will turn current EQ into something it is not. I can easily imagine multiple ways to abuse the game with an ability to swap classes in the middle of zone/mission, and I am very satisfied with the current approach of Personas' swapping.
    So at present time I intend to use Personas the way I've described, otherwise I may reconsider my playing time.
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

You do realize that currently on Beta you can swap anywhere, so the dev will have to actually spend time making it so you can't. So if you want to save their time you would accept how it currently is :p

Also I'm sure many people thought things like PoK and Mercs would turn EQ into something it is not, perhaps it did, however we're all still here. People still play Wizards and Druids even though you can fast travel easily via PoK/Guild portal/Clickies/Campfires/Banners and people still play Clerics even though you can have a cleric merc who doesn't afk, doesn't take rare drops and is always online when you are. Fast swapping personas is not going to break eq either.
    Micker99 likes this.
  9. Alnitak Augur

Identifying and fixing just 1 (one) game imbalance or abuse takes way, way, WAY more time than just copy-pasting validation code used to fast-camp eligibility before allowing persona swap. It's way easier to disable on-the-fly Persona swapping than plan-"think through"-implement-balance-fix it.
    Don't forget that EQ players are very creative and inventive bunch and whatever loop-hole created gets discovered and abused very quickly.

Yes we are. Also what is here - never ending complaints about lack of group and social play in EQ, at least insufficient amount of it. And that was destroyed exactly by Mercs. These days EQ interaction are very different than back in prior to mercenary days. I like mercs, I use mercs, I think mercs are what saved EQ, but they sure have changed EQ. But no, not everybody from pre-merc era are still here, some left due to mercs.

I have wizard and druid alts. They are my porting mules exactly because "PoK/Guild portal/Clickies/Campfires/Banners" do not cover 100% of my logistics needs. Also, both classes are exceptional adps contributors in some situations.
    I have cleric alts for special-purpose buffing (I do not normally play them), but that class is essential to keep a raid alive. Not every raid is top-tier competitive guild raid, which could survive with shaman/druid/paladin heals, most of "common" raid forced absolutely need clerics. Healer mercs are out of luck on that.

No, not break. Disrupt and alter in a significant way. An I am dubious toward such massive changes without massive test time, which Personas do not have.

All your points did not persuade me.
  10. Khieran Journeyman

Crafting skills are listed under both "shared" and "persona specific"? Are only certain skills shared?
  11. Iuwene Augur

Dev just confirmed on Discord that the in game help text is correct. The restriction just has not been implemented yet.
    What a loss...
  12. Inictus Elder

Very disappointing. On the flip side, I just saved some money.
    Moege and Tatanka like this.
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

It's a shame it's tied to actually buying the expansion. If I could buy a version that had just the content, without silly features and bells and whistles, I'd buy that every time.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Ditto.

I'll give full credit to DPG, though. Part of me thought they wouldn't say anything, leave it as is on beta, but put in the restriction for release, to get people to pre-order. They at least posted the info, and let us make an informed decision, so good on them.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  15. Moege Augur

They have not said anything really. Many people are not on discord or the forum.
    Spread the word far about this. Once again wasted time doing beta testing /sigh. Will I never learn
  16. Marton Augur

What channel on Discord? I can't find it. (I believe you, just want to know where to look).
  17. Tuco Augur

18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So, if a tree falls in the forest..... ;)
  19. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

... and nobody is around to hear it, do the other trees laugh?
    Tatanka likes this.