Almost everyone is going to roll a mage and multibox them.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strawberry, May 14, 2015.

1. Strawberry Augur

On other progression servers, mages ruled. They were used to take out raids, they were used to level, collect gear, etc.

The thing is, it will be magnified on this Ragefire server, since there is no defiant gear, or any decent gear to be had, it will all need to be tradeskilled. You could...spend months gearing up....

.......or, you can just roll a mage that doesn't rely on gear or weapons.

I tried a mage on beta, my god...the pet is beating the snot out of yellow and red con mobs, while all my melee characters are stuck because they can't solo a damn thing because they don't have weapons or armor and no one is bothering making groups.

Once people figured this out, there's no point in even rolling anohter class until you reach Gates or something, since mages will be OP until a year or more into the server's existence.

People have this idea, that it will be like it used to be, that people are going to make groups and all classes will be similar in strength and all classes will contribute and have a chance to group. That's just not going to happen, mages are incredibly OP because the server will lack gear and weapons, no newbee armor quests, multiboxing with mages will not result in a thriving market nor will it result in grouping.

It's just not going to be like it used to be, mages and multiboxing will not make this a pleasant server for other classes.
  2. oleris Elder

WTS: Call of the Hero 1000 Chrono.....

I still think there will be room for pullers/healers for XP grps though. I'd imagine most people that single box a healer or puller class will be wanted in grps to make life easier though. I think the ideal XP grp will be a cleric, monk, and 4x mages.
  3. liveitup1216 Augur

I'm going rogue, SK, or shaman personally. Mages are cool and omgstrong in Classic, pretty good in Kunark, then lolyourpetdiestoeveryAE in Velious. Pass!
    Fallfyres likes this.
  4. Dandy Augur

I'd rather make out with a bearded dwarf lady than play a mage.
    Haeldar and Fallfyres like this.
  5. Darth Augur

I'll be rolling warrior and getting ready to be needed in Velious.
    Fallfyres and Maxium Dualblade like this.
  6. Adreus Lorekeeper

Mage is my favorite class, and I would still be rolling one even if pets were nerfed into the ground last second. I wish Necromancers were more overpowered and were boxed over mages. I hate seeing my class being... used in such a way.
    Barton likes this.
  7. Jadefox Augur

I'll be the useless Ranger in the corner.
    Will Track For Food!

--Jade
    Haeldar and Fallfyres like this.
  8. Mardy Augur

Overwhelming majority of the players will not be playing mages. Feel free to do a tally later, but I can guarantee you there will be a lot of everything. Seeing that most groups will not care what class you play, and those boxing tends to stick to themselves, I really don't see a problem with it. Who cares if there's someone boxing multiple characters and a couple of the classes are mages? If you like to group, and don't box, seek out like minded people. There will be tons of LFG/LFM, lots of guilds will be recruiting people who enjoy grouping.

These things will only bother you if you let it bother you.
    Senadin and Haeldar like this.
  9. Archess Elder

I sure hope it's not going to be exactly like classic, my classic consisted of me waiting 4-6 hours in que for a group to send me a tell, watching other people leapfrog me and getting the tell on a saturday at around the time i wanted to go do something else for a change, but then couldnt because i finally had a group till 6 am.

Or like when we all had to raid on US hours because all the good guilds where US based on my server, start at 2 am, end at 8 am..yeah those where awesome, especially when it went wrong or when we got to the second floor of hate and all of a sudden everyone had togo because their loot stopped dropping and nobody gave a rats about the Paladin and Ranger drops on the second floor.

Yeah, i was that Ranger....until i finally got my epic piece from hate, but then got blackmailed to hand it over to some "more" deserving ranger of the guild that couldnt be to be there that evening, wait no he was never there, he was just the Guilds Leader little brother.

These are just a few things that happened in Real Classic, so yeah i hope its not going to be a replication of that period.
  10. Behee Augur

So, go play somewhere with people you like. Lots of places to hunt in the game. Sure, once Kunark opens there will be a lot more for everyone but it's not the end of the world.

I couldn't possibly care less how someone else plays their game, unless it is with malice toward other players.
  11. Fallfyres Augur

-------------------

Goddess, if that were my experience in oldschool EQ, heh, I wouldn't be here. But then, especially if you are enjoying playing a class like the Ranja, which I did to 70, you might find it more fun to be proactive. Even shy folks can work on helping others, slowly building up a friends list. And then there is ... making your own group.

Don't need to be obnoxious, but persistency, politeness, joking around a bit -- those things help people to get to know even in the gen chat channels, that you are ready and willing to jump in and be a team member. That eventually pays off as far as getting your grouping on goes.

Of course there are the suggestions to guild yourself also etc.

I wouldn't think of playing only one character though. I always had at least two. That way when others asked for certain activities I could be flexible. If I got to the point where I needed something on my other character, I'd just ask and most often didn't have problems getting groups even with my Ranger. I like a good mix of self-sufficiency, and grouping for the yummy exp.

I don't have 'alts' really ;o). I play each of my characters generally in time periods of leveling one twenty levels and then the other, with mixing that up now and then as group/friend/guild needs required. And one of the two usually ts's as well.

I know there are politics and personality clashes and... but this is a " classiq-est" server, so you should be able to enjoy grouping for a decent while as you head toward Kunark and beyond. At least until GoD I'd say.

That doesn't mean you just click some lfg button and then mosey around waiting til 'you're picked.' Egads, my estrogen zooms to humongus ratios when I read or hear something like that. I'll be damned if I'ma sit around being 'picked over.' Course, that's why I mostly do the 'picking' myself. Hmmmm much more satisfying ^-^.

I hope if you play on Ragefire, your experience is totally different. No, I will change that sentence.
    Make your experience this time totally different Archess!
    Jadefox likes this.
  12. vardune Augur

Mages will be OP until PoP, then the pets slow down a bit, unless they have their epic. I would expect to see 2+ mages in every single group.
  13. abyssalgod New Member

If the recent polls from that other guy on the forums is any indication, at least half of the players will NOT be boxing. I'm not.
  14. Oberon Augur

Not if trains are allowed, people will be changing classes real fast
  15. Tintaglia Elder

My brother plays a mage. It's all he has ever played. He says he will on Ragefire too, but because it's what he knows. The rest of our small friends and family guild will be playing all sorts of classes. We aren't too worried about mage box armies, as they will have moved on to other content by the time we get to end game Classic and Kunark.
  16. Archess Elder

Your reply make it sound like i was/am a recluse lol :p

I was in the guild Red Sky and later in the guild Phantom Raiders, i was also a Euro based player back then when european guilds did not excist, at least not on my server, nor did i look for them as i already had a guild at all times. I grouped allot in classic, but when Kunark came out it was not easy to find a group, i did get them but had to stay online truely and gruely late.

I moved to Everquest 2 when it launched and joined a guild the Forgotten, rolled a monk, never again a ranger, raided with them for 3-4 years before they moved to Vanguard, i was a raid officer for nearly 3 years, handled the DKP and was main puller. My last guild was in Rift, also raid officer for 8 months before it packed in, due to content issues, i always end up as an officer because other people never step up and in Dust 514 (FPS) i played for a year or 2 i won an official tournament with my team.

So I really doubt it was my personality that caused not finding groups in EQ, but more the Attitude towards the ranger class in the Kunark Era on my server, that and the EU vs US timezones didnt help.

The POH example however on every trip we made to the plane of hate, everytime we got to the paladin & ranger gear everyone had togo, i also didnt mention if i gave the essence to the little brother, i kept it and finished my epic and moved guilds, his ultimatum was that he would quit the game if i didnt hand it over, i didnt, he quit...but he still tried.

I bet many rangers and paladins encountered the POH deal with their guilds or pickups, only lasting till they got their stuff.

Later on 2 of my RL friends that are no longer my friends, stripped my account clean of all raid gear and that prevented me from returning after POP, the time spend on the ranger was too much time spend that i didnt feel like doing anymore.

So whatever EQ is going to bring this time, i still have fond memories of our raids and wipes, but i don't have fond memories of finding random groups as a ranger, so quite frankly i will be multiboxing when i don't have a group, though this time around i already have an EU guild 2 months ago, so that will mostly be solving the grouping issue.

Still not gonna drop a the box :p
    code-zero likes this.
  17. Snuffalot Journeyman

So, I haven't played EQ since 03'.

What happened that made mage pets so OP? was there a specific patch? or just incremental buffs in HP and damage over time?

Did necro pets get these buffs as well?
  18. Numiko Augur

all pets are more powerful now then they were in 99.. but then all the players are as well.
  19. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Just played a mage at level 50 on the beta server.
    Wow is about all I can say.
  20. Lejaun Augur

Mages will dominate everyone. Monks will dominate melee classes. Expect to see a lot of them.

Me, I'll go with a different class. Mage was never my style, and even if it were I like being a little bit different than most.