Almost afraid to post this, but interested in opinion..

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by LhurgoyfXIII, Apr 30, 2020.

1. LhurgoyfXIII New Member

I honestly thought I was supporting the idea of understanding the differences in this game that have changed so much.. or why it is SO money dependent.

But nah, just act all big and bad till you offend everyone and then they go and play something else, wondering why, because you made 'em realize they're not as good as you, or have all the understanding that you do..

* Don't help ppl, just thrive in your knowledge knowing you're better. *
    That's the best option.

GG.

R.I.P. EQ.

From thousands of people who I know feel the same way: I will never bother any of you again. Ever.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There was a FREE Heroic Upgrade for all-access members if they logged in prior to May 10th, so if you purchased 2 from the Marketplace with your credit card you would be charged for them and so long as you were all-access & logged in you would also have another Heroic Upgrade available to your account.

Did you get charged 2x for the same items which were bought only once, or did you buy them twice?
    Players can't help much here, since this is something only the Customer Service team can even verify the details on. I can honestly say that I have only been double-charged one time in 15 years of playing & I was refunded quickly once I pointed out the mistake.

Your original post was hard to read, perhaps English isn't your first language because your other posts were also hard to understand with some strange sentence structure and I am still having difficulty pinning down what you wanted an opinion on, and the only reason I & most others responded at all is out of a desire to help.

Helping other players is admirable, but you seem to have regrets after they stopped communicating with you after you had helped them?
    All I can say there is don't help random strangers unless you are happy never hearing from them again, friendships in online games tend to be fleeting & ephemeral unless you are in a guild that often plays together, and you can easily help a hundred players a year that never log in again let alone keep in touch or ever help you out in return.

And if you are getting "shut down" you maybe have unrealistic expectations of what online gaming is about, again I would suggest joining a guild & fostering relationships with players who are more likely to stick around a while.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It isn't?

You can choose to sub or you can play free-to-play with a lot of restrictions.

You admitted you freely spent money on the game, so is this just buyers remorse being spoken of here?

Is this sentiment related only to the responses in this thread on the forum?
    I haven't seen anyone acting all big & bad, just trying to help after a confusing & vague post gave them difficulty understanding what you were trying to say.

If you are referring to how people have spoken to you in game I can imagine they may just have been frustrated by the way that you express yourself if you speak in game in the same way as you post here. You make it very hard to understand what you are going on about.

People tried to help here.

Yeah as another poster said already, you do come off as hugely passive-aggressive, you express yourself in a very hard to understand way then get pissy about it when you get responses that don't make sense to you or that you interpret as being mean or hateful or showing off about what they have.

I think you need to do a lot of work on your English skills & how you communicate with people so that you can get your point across without rambling almost incoherently.
    Duder likes this.
  4. LhurgoyfXIII New Member

I'll go against my previous comment to respond: after being so negative, this was the kind of input I was looking for in the first place.. but your posts have been more than unhelpful up until now.

FYI: IDC if you walk away with my money, its when you make a word you don't keep that bothers me.
    Even though it happens, i get it. it'd just be nice if once these days it didn't.

And no im not mistaken, it's actually a big deal with my credit account at the moment... and Ive revisited my acct. balance and transaction history many times... DBG is going a good job at keeping them at bay..

And yes, my main languish is English.. Or "American" or maybe "Native American?"
    It cant be that hard to figure out what someone is trying to say..
    Just because the words out of my mouth dont coordinate with what YOU want to hear, isn't exactly my fault.
    I highly doubt it really makes a difference just because you dont fully understand someone when they are venting.
    As if you've never been there yourself.

Just Google it. As i'm told everyday in EQ.

I don't know how not to be frustrated with this thread.. I wont start another one, but its kinda hard to just let some of this go...
    And keep in mind, I am speaking for plenty of ppl who are afraid to talk or ask for advice, knowledge, or information just for this reason.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I am surprised that your first language is English actually, even though your spelling ability is pretty good you struggle to make your points clearly, that may well be no fault of yours.

I would advise you seriously explore studying English as a first language to improve your ability to use it, that's not me being a superior jerk that's just a genuine desire to see you better able to express yourself clearly as it will save you a lot of frustration and would almost certainly improve your interactions with people.

When some see that a person has a hard time making sense they often perceive that as a weakness they can exploit. I have friends who couldn't read or write very well that have been ripped off by unscrupulous people for that very reason, they were smart just like you probably are but they were seen as dummies, easy targets.
    Duder likes this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Still not really sure what you are after, from your post you say you have purchased a heroic char, if you want help with that this is the best help I've found for that http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/guides/heroic-characters/

Bear in mind EQ is a 21 year old game and things have moved on from 1999, while many things are still the same much has changed, from the introduction on mercenarys, to the removal of corpse runs, to the introduction of other forms of travel, along with many other changes. Anyone coming back after a long break would be a fool to think that things have stayed the same.

You can play EQ for free but it has a lot of restrictions and to be honest it holds you back after you have leveled up a bit, but free to play is really only to get a taste to find out if you enjoy the game. I have a subscription and that is all I ever pay, with 500 free station catch every month (need to claim) I have found I don't need to pay for anything else other than expansions every year, and if you are a few expansions behind you don't even have to do that. All expansion purchases include all previous expansions, so even if you get to the point where the expansions you want to play are no longer free you only have to purchase the last one to get access to all of them.

As for actually interacting with players in game, your best bet is to find a guild with players of your level. At 85 your looking for a family guild not a raid guild. If it is an established family guild you will find players who play regularly. Players come and go for different reasons, while we are seeing a lot return due to the virus we are also seeing players unable to play as they have to look after their kids or are working extra shifts. Try not to take it personally when you don't get to group or play with the same person, maybe consider how other players felt when you quit.

My guild has had a few players return recently and everyone has gone out of their way to make them feel welcome and assist them with things they want to do, be it old content or new content. A lot have finished the latest expansion and are more than happy to play lower level alts in older content. I've even seen our mains posting on our boards organising level 90 groups to do leveling content rather than PLing. I am the worlds worsed for alts and and have far to many, all leveled from level 1 the old fashioned way, each time trying to level up a different path than I had done in the past. None of which get PLed unless its a cleric that I want at level 29 for imbuing. :rolleyes:

Hope this may have been of some use.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Skuz like this.
  7. xxGriff Augur

is this an attempt at humor? an attempt at sarcasm? both? either way you lost me, and your casual relationship with respect and reality are def not anything I will endure past this post. have a day... Buh-bye
  8. Dracolindus Journeyman

I began playing EQ in late 1999. So I completely understand the nostalgia. I played hardcore up until House of Thule, and retired completely until I get the itch again, at around the end of the Ring of Scale expansion.
    My experience as a returning player couldnt be any more different from yours. I went into playing again with the mindset that I was gonna have to put in alot of work on my own just to get to the point where I could reliably expect to interact with and get help from other players.
    So before I even began actually playing I researched the newest changes to my class, then started scouting for zones that I could handle. Then I put in the work. I still had a few (more than i thought there would be) friends around that lent a hand here and there, but for the most part, as in life, I got out of the game what I put in.
    In that respect the modern iteration of this game is alot like it was back in the day. This game can be very hard, and noone is going to do it for you, but if you put in the effort, more often than not people will help you, and before you know it youre caught up.
    In the past year I went from HoT gear and level, to a productive member in one of the top guilds in the game, and the same fun I had back then, I'm having now. In short, git guud scrub.
    Maedhros likes this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Bear in mind also, as you plead for understanding, that the vets on these boards are constantly bombarded by a stream of returning players, all with questions, all wondering where "their" game went, and some of them hyper-critical of the power gap that incurred during their absence.

In short, we tire of it. We tire of the criticisms made by players who pop in out of nowhere, returning after years or decades of absence. We tire of the lofty claim that somehow you are just as deserving of the experience you remember as we experience now. We tire of the notion that somehow those of us who "stuck it out for years" owe anyone an apology.

THAT'S where a lot of this is coming from. We aren't out to get 'you'. But come in here throwing fire and you better believe you're going to get some fire back. Don't play the victim. You aren't one.

Now that that's off my chest: How can I help you, Barbarian?
    Tucoh, Maedhros and Genoane like this.
  10. kizant Augur

Ok. You used to play EQ a long time ago and now you're back. You have something you want to tell everyone?

The game has changed a lot over the years and I'm sure everyone knows and agrees that it is very different now than it was prior. Are you saying that some people are up in arms when you point this out to them? That seems hard to believe. I can't imagine anyone who would dispute you on that fact.

Also, why would anyone think you're better than them? What conversation are we missing here? Did you say that you were better than someone?

If you want to read about new quests and how progression works in recent expansions look on eqresource.com. That's probably the best source.

Have you tried a TLP server? Or just made new characters and played again from level 1? Nobody can stop you from doing that. The old content is basically the same. There's a few big changes like you don't leave items on a corpse anymore, there's faster regen of hp/mana when you're out of combat, and the UI is different. Plus Freeport was redesigned and Oasis was merged into one big zone with North and South Ro. Lavastorm was redone. Some of the changes were good and some not so much but you can go xp in befallen, for example, and it would feel pretty much the same.

Oh wait. Sorry, did you not want me to tell you about some of the differences like I did above? You wanted to learn them on your own? Or are you saying that nobody is helping you at all when you ask?

Are you saying it took you months to level or that it took other people months to level? Who is 'us'? Did you ask for a recommendation on how to get up to speed with current content? I have no idea what you asked in the first place. But I guess you have an example coming up.

Is someone forcing you to rush through the game? Who is 'you' that you're referring to? How is someone ruining your fun exactly?

One second you're about to give us an example and then you decided not to give an example?

What? Are you trying to be the person helping others now? I thought you were the one asking for help. Who's stepping on what exactly? Were you trying to do some quest in a new zone and someone forced you take take a new weapon? I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Ooh you think it's too hard to level to 115? The best route is collections and doing the group missions. Plus Overseer is pretty good. Have you done EoK and RoS content yet? Maybe you could get some of those collection sets. There's also some good gear in TBL if you do the fight fire mission. But it would help if you explained how you got from heroic to I guess level 110? If you're already concerned about getting 115 I assume you must be around 110?

The server is unobtainable? What does the age of the character have to do with anything? They gave everyone veteran rewards recently so you don't even need to have an old account to get Lessons of Devoted or any of the other rewards. Still I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Wait so you paid for 24 expansions over 5 years? That doesn't make sense. There's never been 24 expansions in so short a time. Are you counting all the expansions you bought to get caught up? I mean if you buy the latest expansion you get credit for all the others. It's not like you have to back pay for the rest of them. Anyway, a lot of us have subscriptions and pay for expansions so you don't really have to explain that EQ isn't really free if you want to do all the content.

I'd say the majority of players have been playing off and on the past 15 to 20 years. Even a lot of the 'new' players have been around 10 years already. That's not really that many new new players. In any case, I'm sure most people can sympathize with 'missing' a thing whether it's EQ or something else.

Can you go over your math again? I still don't understand how you paid for 24 expansions in 5 years. When EQ was the most active it was maybe 9 expansions over 5 years? Still even if you did pay $2700 that comes to like $45 a month. Plenty of people pay triple that just to watch a few TV shows. It's not a crazy amount of money for entertainment. Although, I still think your numbers are really high.

Wait. Are you now saying that you want to help people but can't help? You started off by saying that you were the one asking for help. Who's trying to put an end to returning players? They're adding more TLPs. That's what is bringing back returning players more than anything. Plus they send out emails with specials and telling people about free heroics trying to get people to re-sub. I think everyone is pretty encouraging of getting new players to play the game. But you also aren't a new player so I'm confused by what you're getting at.

I thought I'd take a stab at understanding you're confusing post. It was even less fun to do than I hoped :(
    Maedhros, Raccoo and Celephane like this.
  11. svann Augur

OT, but doesnt it seem like lately there are more people that think verbosity in writing is more important than clarity? We seem to have these posts that go on and on forever, while the points they are making are scrambled like spaghetti code.
    Skuz, Maedhros, Raccoo and 2 others like this.
  12. Littlelegs Elder

then an average of $20 per with 24 expansions = ( thats 40 X 48 counting both accts. )
    = another 960.

40x48 = 960

We're glossing over that, right? Double dipping on the ol' 2nd account multiplier.

You know what? I'm picking at a trivial component of the post, definitely not what happens constantly on forums, so I apologize. After all, 20x24x2 IS 960. So likely just a small misstep in displaying some mathematics while trying to make your point.

At any rate, I wish you all the best OP. You're aces in my book. Keep up the good work and don't let em get you down. Games are for fun. If this one isn't (or isn't anymore), there are lots of fish in the sea fella.
  13. Cadira Augur

[IMG]
    Maedhros, Raccoo and Celephane like this.
  14. Fredescu Augur

Yeah there have been a few lately. Hard to imagine why they'd be attracted to to a game as concise as Everquest :)
  15. Maedhros High King

This will never get old. Spot on!
    Cadira likes this.
  16. Heajol Augur

Okay I'll bite. I've been back playing on Live since last July with a few breaks here and there. I am in a top 10 raiding guild .. as a Friends & Family member. I haven't felt this pressure to level and catch up that you are talking about. I've received help here and there, but unsolicited mostly as I haven't asked for it. Yes, there really isn't anyone else to play with, but I'm taking my time relearning this game that I've gotten so much enjoyment out of. I do six box .. so that changes my perspective some as most things that I want to accomplish I'm able to do on my own (could do the same with 3 boxes + mercs). But the pressure that you're talking about hasn't been there even playing in a raiding guild. They seem to have been ok with me taking my time and exploring (they haven't deguilded me .. lol!). I've played multiple classes to 90+ and just enjoying the game. I haven't hit the new content yet and only have the new expansion on two of my accounts.

Inverse Logic on Luclin is where I play .. a family friendly raiding guild.

I also play on TLP and have enjoyed playing there as well. If you want that old school levelling feel .. Mangler is a good choice right now. On Mangler, I have been in many a group of old time reminiscing players. Yes there are going to be those pushing for the highest level and maybe they are influencing your decision to level up quickly. However, there are old school players who don't mind taking their time as well.
  17. Questoften32 Augur

Because of one thing and another I view eq ''these days'' as a prestige game for well meaning, creative and thinking people, that notice subtle things and appreciate all that was put in to it.

Its well worth it to explore all those interesting side tracks and like the universe at large, focus on a area of the game you like.

In my mind the word nostalgia is meaningless, like futurism and In this context It implies trend dictates enjoyment or and for arbitrary period or date ''and in reverse''.

It is true that sociology was/is more complex in places with certain people of deep character ''These considered just more or less average people ''normally not in abnormality'' this attributed to mini periods or generations. hence some better art. So by that view and implied slandered eq is highly advanced now. Also, a useless cheap game can have great graphics but no development, and like some flash games without a story.

I could further make the point by association with EQ correctly, and on general principle alone, see it justified for example: Giving such as ''Holy'' of the wind, Immortality and eternal youth, just to go on making, and involving herself with games.

So yeah, just someone of there age, involved in games ''successfully'' and a logical person with even ''seeming'' standards would make that ''here now'' To be great in the gaming industry by comparison to others.'

Eq is a global treasure, so many will try to ruin the fun. I tell you its interactive ART not the usually MMO that eats up your life and gives back nothing. ''If you pay attention' and really play it'.

If you think, that is ''mere cognition'' and can use the ''law of identity'' to tell about things, you are above and beyond in many places of today's artistic and gaming world, and never-mind your gear.
    There is even something to be said for appreciating the creative in art/games, alone. EQ, is the best of MMO's.

Naturally some don't want to much FTP, because its trial, and trail people expecting its something else wont stay but may choose to piss all over the experience for good natured well meaning people...unless they do like it and stay.

Anyway, So FTP, its a double edged sword metaphorically, cutting on both ends.

Try it before you by it is as old as salesmanship itself, and in this case effective overall for many reasons. I would also ''welcome'' verbose and analytical nerds ''praise them'.' We need more lore hounds also, should advertise for them.

Eqs players love the game enough to throw hundreds of dollars at it, ''thousands in the long run perhaps. I myself do not support just to play, but to as a patron of the Gaming portion of the arts.
    This Because I like the idea of EQ, and am thus a fan of it too in that way also.

It dose makes One feel better overall, to choose eq as ones mmo. Provides a small overall sense of well being, just because and even so.
  18. Rylak Elder

Welcome Back, Allieris!!!
    Duder likes this.
  19. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Don't judge the whole of the playerbase on what transpires here on the boards. A very small percentage of players view these boards, never mind actually post here. The vast majority of veteran players like to help players less experienced. It's better for the game to behave in that way. Just ignore the condescending troll DB's.
  20. svann Augur

If you want to ask for help you must first learn to write clearly - in a way so that the people you are speaking to are able to understand without struggling. People in general like to help, but not if you insist on making it more difficult than it needs to be.
    Skuz and Raccoo like this.