Allakhazam

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Plykin, May 24, 2016.

1. Febb Augur

I don't see any ads on the site. If you read this thread there is plenty of advice on how to not see ads on the site without going premium.
  2. svann Augur

Any eta on that yet? Its really annoying and happens a lot.
  3. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I finished the analysis on all of that on Friday and sent it off to ZAM. Hopefully they'll get to work on it soon.
  4. Millianna Augur

I don't care about seeing adds. That's not the problem. It's the scripting and the potential malware. I shouldn't need third party software to vist this site. This is completely inexcusable. I don't recommend anyone to use this site.
  5. Febb Augur

The scripting comes from the ads, not from the site itself. If you don't use 3rd party extensions with your browser such as an ad blocker, you are asking for a world of hurt with potential malware from any site.
    Tatanka and svann like this.
  6. Millianna Augur

That's funny, I don't have problems with other sites, just this one.
  7. Febb Augur

Apparently you haven't browsed the internet enough.
    Tatanka likes this.
  8. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I see.

I'm sorry the ad network has infected their site but, if they want this relationship to work, they need to make better choices on the content they serve with. Expecting me to arm my browser lest it be ad is not the kind of browsing I am into.

Sometimes I have to tell my rapey friends they can't come over because my friends that do not want to be are here and vice versa.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Hey you are paying good money for that site so you should complain. Oh wait... you aren't. :). Your last comment was just tasteless. *sighs*
    snailish and Aurastrider like this.
  10. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Oh...sorry...I did not see the fine print about the fees to have an opinion on it. Just ignore me.

Exactly. Similar to Zam's choice in ad network (it is a choice). If I am not currently paying, why would I go through that nonsense to start paying? Their entry is a hostile environment, on purpose.
  11. Febb Augur

I try to help people browse a site that has a ton of information about Everquest and their like "nope I can't be bothered to spend 5 seconds to install some software, I'm sticking to my ignorance!".
    snailish and Tatanka like this.
  12. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I get it. I'm pointing out that the scripting is their because Zam chooses to have it there, third party served or not. Personally, I use NoScript with scripts disabled globally but, today's internet does not function very well without scripts so it can be a hassle at times. Zam could choose to not support browser and make the internet a nicer place. Ads are very easily done where they mesh nicely into a site layout. It is just my opinion.
  13. Millianna Augur

Zam used to be a great site, but no longer is. They clearly don't care about the end user, so why should I care about them? There are other choices out there, so I moved on. I am guessing lots have too.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Just using AdBlockPlus and being done with it in one easy step seems to be a more popular opinion :)

There is NO other scripting/whatever problem with ZAM. Use an ad blocker, and it's fine.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Millianna Augur

You don't have to use an ad blocker with other sites. Why bother with this one? There are others.
  16. Febb Augur

Where do you go for raid, quest and NPC information for the Omens of War expansion?
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Don't have to use an ad blocker with other sites? Wow, you live in your own world. Be happy there. Everybody else in this world uses ad blockers. If they weren't needed basically everywhere, why would anyone develop them, and why would they be the most commonly installed plug-in for browsers? The data does not support your conclusion.

As for other sites, if you're looking for info for any of the older content, nothing out there is anywhere near as good as ZAM.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Apparently some people in this thread are not aware that ZAM's current ad service was selected because they attempt to use scripting to override AdBlock on Chrome. If you use that combo, and I do, then your browser wastes your CPU cycles trying to overcome AdBlock. It's stupid, it's annoying, and I'm not going to stop using Chrome or purchase a different ad blocker for one site. I'm also not going to pay ZAM as long as they choose to use this service.

It just means I avoid ZAM as much as possible, and use Edge when I have to go there. If you leave tabs open there they crash, things go wonky even without ad block running. If they ever switch back to a normal ad vendor I will gladly white list them or subscribe depending on my needs.
  19. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Advertising is a necessary evil for getting "free" information/services. Ads are not Zam's problem, it is how the ads are done on Zam.

There are plenty of sites you can visit with ads, no ad-blocker, no script-blocker and everything works just fine because it is designed that way. Necessity is the mother of invention, ad-blockers are more prevalent because of ads like those served at Zam.

I do not surf with an ad-blocker but I do use a script blocker because scripts can be malicious. Not all ads require scripts but the ones that will cause a browser to stop functioning usually do.
  20. snailish Augur

Disclaimer: mostly-retired/hiatus Allakhazam volunteer admn here...

-the way I see it Zam is not quite Allakhazam. Zam is the corporate overlords that allow the site to still exist despite not fitting into their modern Zam empire Gaming site vision, have the old paywall ($1 a month now) in place and use an ad company as a part of the monetization package. I don't have a problem with Zam... they let the volunteer thing happen and the site is still up. Zam cares enough about Allakhazam to allow it to exist, which is something.

To me, Allakhazam is the EQ-focused user community that a few real good active volunteer admns continue to work on, with user support. They are battling the database-messing-the-site issues, while trying to update everything to be correct for progression and usuable for live. They can't do much about things like the ads (or who provides them), unless one is truly malice then report it to them and they can get that taken down. My understanding is only 1 actual proven bad ad has happened in some time. The dedicated users and volunteer admn do care or else they wouldn't continue to give to the community.

-Through my work I run into goofy browser issues all the time. I do most things with firefox, a couple with chrome and am forced into explorer for a couple. Most people having issues with ads on Zam are using Chrome... (there is a hint here)

-not using zam is certainly an option. If the $1 a month was to steep or not in my philosophical wheelhouse I would do adblocker. Those that heavily surf should probably have an adblocker/scriptblocker anyways.
    Zhaunil_AB, Aurastrider and Koryu like this.