Allakhazam

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Plykin, May 24, 2016.

1. Plykin New Member

Anyone else been experiencing 503s when trying for look stuff up on Allakhazam. Been 1-3 days off and on. Anyone know what is going on? Is it just maintenance? Maybe its just my connection.
  2. Malbro Augur

Don't know if it's maintenance or what, but they are definitely having problems.
  3. Gortar Augur

They appear to be having database issues of some type. Queries have been progressively getting slower from a user perspective.
  4. Kelandi Elder

They are most definitely having issues. I have seen 3 different errors (proxy/database, etc) so far just trying to navigate the site i.e. item/quest look up. The advertisements are so awful that even with Java/Flash set to 'never actiavte' in Firefox, they still explode on screen like the 4th of July and many times they cover up half the text on thr entire page. Same issues with IE or Chrome.

Also be warned that one of the ads will redirect you to a bogus Adobe lookalike site that will try to get you to download and update your Flash player. Warning: this is malware!
    disgruntled likes this.
  5. Iila Augur

This is why using an adblocker like ublock or ublock origin is one of the best computer security practices you can do.
    moogs, Mocha, Miss_Jackie and 5 others like this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I use AdBlock Plus, and haven't had any issue at EQ ZAM, earlier today, or right now.
  7. mackal Augur

They have these issues from time to time. It's just really bad recently.
  8. Weverley Augur

Alla is off and on sometimes don't load at all other times load normally and sometimes ads take more places then suppose too.
  9. Progress Augur

They had a post awhile back that they were purchased by another company and part of the deal was that EQ would no longer be supported. Might have something to do with that, but who knows.
  10. YellowBelly Augur

I have a feeling the eq section of allah go offline one day in the near future. Is there another site out there that even comes close? I thought DB started an official wiki but last I looked it was pretty bare or seemed abandoned.
  11. Aghinem Augur

I'm not sure about that, but they certainly won't be investing their time into future EQ information. That is why TBM info is very scarce. If they completely remove their EQ databases, I think they would lose a lot of members & paid subscribers.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Numiko Augur

I managed to get on there yesterday, but it was very laggy.

Plus they had some banner add that covered all the drop down menu's so if you tried to click on one you got sent to the Add's web site! ..
  13. Hellboy007 Augur

Alla is dead for EQ.. its ok for old stuff but new content its simply junk.

Sadly EQresource doesn't really give much information about quest nor do many people post on there the details of there experiences with the quests.

A lot of these sites are user dependent. Meaning if people do not provide the information then the information wont be there. Beings very few people now play EQ relative to the days when information was readily available there will be progressively worse shared information on these sites.

Sadly all the information sites are on there own backs and they have to support them. At any point that those key people decide to give it up the sites die.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

There is nothing that comes close. Beginning with House of Thule, EQ Resource is very good for quests. EQ Traders has always been better than anyone on tradeskills. Magelo is great for locating NPCs and mobs. These sites also have some other information. And there are other sites with specialized information (like my own).

But for the sheer scope of information on EQ, Alla's has way more than anyone.
  15. snailish Augur

I'll attempt to address various points (so far) in this thread:

-Allakhazam's is not dead, but it no longer has paid staff doing updates. It relies on a very small team volunteer admns. In truth... it is the users that breathe it life with their posts.

-TBM dropped unsuspecting on the volunteer admns heads (a whole bunch of stuff they though was auto-generated wasn't). This impacted users posting information in correct places to get it entered. It took a lot of time/effort to get TBM to the point it is now (example it took about a week to get a paid dev of Zam to add TBM as an expansion option in the database before the volunteers could start flagging new NPC's to it). TBM is still a swiss cheese mess... some zones have almost no NPC in the database for example.

-Zam (name of the larger parent of the EQ site) is still providing back end support of the EQ site, key to this is "Lucy" the item collector. However, Lucy seems to get broken every patch and we've had a lot of patches since last October. When Lucy is down, no new items populate the database. If no one is running Lucy in TBM... then TBM info is full of holes.

-TBM isn't being played by any of the volunteer admn to my knowledge. Furthermore, new posts "decay" from the admn view after a few days... so if User X's great post about a new zone was missed it won't be noticed until someone posts an additional update in the same thread.

-premium users and those with the right adblock aren't having problems with ads... those that are should post in the Zam "site feedback" forum (there is a recent thread started there already).

-I myself had one proxy error yesterday, my first. I have no answer to that. Zam intends to keep EQ Allakhazam going... they've left all the old sites up with their "refocus/redesign" with the word legacy added to the url. I would wager that presently premium accounts for EQ users still generate enough money to justify leaving the whole thing online. I have no inside info on that though. I do know that Zam leadership has intentionally reached out to the EQ volunteer admns, that counts for something.

The EQ community can help of course. Register (if not already)... and login when you use the site. Post updates (bet if you did it in TBM the update is needed!).

If the item/quest is missing from the database, post under the NPC you got it from.
    If an NPC is missing, post under the zone it is missing from.
    If the zone (example the newer trend of instancing old zones as missions) is missing post it in the general forum for EQ.

If you notice what you are about to update has already been posted by someone in the right spot, but isn't updated, then "reply" to that post saying "I verify this" or some such.

Tradeskills... post the recipe under the item. None of the volunteer admn have tackled this very tricky part of the database yet. EQtraders tends to be better for this (always has been).

Lastly, if you're doing TBM and need info and Allakhazam doesn't have it yet. Try Fanra's site and/or EQresource. Maybe they have what you need. Give it a try... and maybe post your experiences back over at Allah's.

Best way to keep the site up (aside from subbing premium) is to keep unique traffic flowing there.
  16. lancelove Augur

In other words, Allak, which I loved, is dead. Spent many many years using this site, such a pity.
    RIP!
  17. Kelandi Elder

Just wanted to say thank you to snailish and the rest of the EQ Zam volunteer's for continuing to support the website and doing what you do.
    moogs, disgruntled and Fanra like this.
  18. Weverley Augur

I use alla constantly be for refreshing my memory when doing epic,checking if i'm missing spells, when i want to know where to get a piece of gear or for checking on quests.Thank you for those that keep it running.
    moogs, Pani and Fanra like this.
  19. YellowBelly Augur

The owners could be a little nicer to the EQ section considering without EQ the entire Allakazam network would not exist.
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Please pass this onto Daybreak....:cool: