Allakhazam warning

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lily, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Aurastrider Augur

If you want to do any quests or item search on things pre HOT there is no better site. That's still more than two thirds of the games content that's not really covered anywhere else. If you only care about EOK then yes there are better options currently but nothing comes close to Zam in terms of overall data base. There is no way I would even attempt old progression without this site.
    Rivitt, KC13, fransisco and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tucoh Augur

I disable all that stuff on every new install. I get mad xp from those slum viruses.
    Elricvonclief and Fanra like this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And I "hope" you will make the investigation go away.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Bad idea in my opinion. I use Zam EQ a LOT. I would much rather support them with the 10 buck a year subscription then see the site go away or to punish them for picking a bad advertisement service. And to be honest if you are using zam free just use an ad blocker that is also free. You are getting your "free" money's worth.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And yes there a couple sites for modern content but I prefer zams formatting by far. Sub to eqresource but I prefer the info in zam format. Much easier to read and use in my opinion especially the comments section which just seems too spread out on eqresource Plus I hate having to click on links for a few more words of information. Don't get me wrong I appreciate EQResource being around or there would be next to no info on new stuff out there. But I just find the zam format easier to use.
    noclue and Aurastrider like this.
  6. Hiladdar Augur

Allakhazam is a great resource for older content, but for it tends to lag behind for newer content. It's real value comes in when information on Alla can be cross matched with information from other sites. In that aspect, it is well worth the subscription cost.

Regarding the virus that hit you, based on the description is look like a form of ransomware. Best is run some sort of ad blocker software, anti-virus, and firewall software. All of those tools can be downloaded and installed for free. If you want additional bells, whistles with the kitchen sink included with the software expect to pay a nominal subscription cost. Even if you do everything right, it is still possible to get hit by something.
  7. noclue Elder

This....and that's why I've supported it for years and will continue. The sub price is now much lower now than years ago. Also just use a good add blocker, there are plenty of good free ones out there, ghostery, ABP, etc.
  8. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I've been monitoring the site for bad ads for the past few days trying to catch them. I've caught a few in that time period just by running an open chrome browser with no ad blocker and sending off anything I find to ZAM. I haven't seen the same ads since then so it looks like ZAM is actually working on cleaning the ads up.

As far as it the ads bombing the site back to back, ya that's ridiculous. I left a tab open on one page and watched task manager, it leaked 2 gigs of memory for the tab process for one page. I just sent an email to ZAM about it so hopefully they'll tone that crap down.
    moogs likes this.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

ZAM is starting to have as many malicious ads as your average free adult website.
  10. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I've seen it mentioned a few times but without a reason to go with it, so what do you guys think that ZAM is lacking for modern content?
  11. Aurastrider Augur

I think they just fell behind updating things for a while. I know they changed ownership or something to that affect which impacted how they managed things. Information was being updated much faster on other sites such as eqresources which kind of put zam behind for recent expansions. A lot of people turned to EQresources and have never really looked back. I still utilize both sites on a regular basis and like anything in life each has their pros and cons. I do like how eqresources has progression through content setup and having a map of named spawn points for hunter is very helpful so you can work on progression and hunter at the same time without having to keep dozens of tabs up on the browser.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  12. Olyander New Member

Nearly unusable for me on chrome with adblock plus and ublock, even blocking the ads manually. Works fine on Edge with Adblock.
  13. Trizek Augur

Not sure what is up with Chrome (or if any others?) but even with Adblock+ Ads appear on some sites, Allakhazams for instance is one of them.

However I notice with Firefox and Adblock+ the ads are not there. So if you use Firefox, you're safe! if not, I'd suggest at the very least downloading Firefox and use it only when you need to check Allakhazam's.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, but if you're after old content, ZAM can't be beat.

And for crying out loud, NOBODY uses a browser for nothing else but EQ content. Get AdBlockPlus (or the equivalent), and be done with it. I can't believe anyone would surf the net without it.
  15. svann Augur

What virus and how do you know it came from Alla?
    Rivitt likes this.
  16. Qbert Gallifreyan

Maybe some of the letters fell off, and it was allapdance.
    Rivitt likes this.
  17. mackal Augur

The issue is that they're getting around ad blockers. I've got it blocked for myself, but the page will still use up all the resources it can which prevents me from playing :p
  18. Vanrau Augur

Don't use chrome. Their new ad system is for chrome only which will get around your ad blockers. Use another browser with an ad blocker and you'll have no problems.
    Zaggan likes this.
  19. Zaggan Journeyman

Thanks Vanrau. I normally use Chrome, and have some issues on a number of sites with ad.chrome wanting to do reporting, but my software blocks it (Kaspersky Total Security). Annoying as heck, but Firefox gives me headaches in other areas.
  20. Khat_Nip Meow

Wut? Chrome:
    [IMG]
    svann likes this.