allakhazam.com unusable more and more?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MyFairLady, Oct 22, 2018.

1. MyFairLady New Member

Has anybody a clue why allakhazam.com is so awful slow the last weeks and months? Despite paying for their service it is meanwhile as slow as it was some years ago WITH all the ads. This is terrible. Anybody else has that problem?

If working on tradeskills this site is nearly useless... every recipe needs endless time.. but when canceling and pressing the "reload" button 2-3 times in a row then the site instantly appears... something is really borked there...
  2. Iven the Lunatic

ZAM has server issues and a server move failed yet but is planed to solve this problem.
  3. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

We'll be migrating soon to a new host that scales performance. We were set to do it last week but the engineer behind this had to cancel due to other higher priorities at ZAM. We're hoping to do it later on this week. I'm supposed to get word on that some time today so we'll see what happens.
    snailish, IblisTheMage and Fanra like this.
  4. svann Augur

Posted 19 hours ago:
    edit: Ninjaed by Gidono!
    Whulfgar likes this.
  5. Zish Elder

Yes, literally everyone has this problem, and it has been a problem for years now.

People here don't care about the intrusive, malicious ads. They'll simply tell you to "pay premium to remove them because it's totally worth it!!!"

It's not 2004 anymore. You don't have to accept horrible service. Don't give them any money until they fix their own site.
    Duder and WorriedinNorrath like this.
  6. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

ZAM switched ad providers last week. If you are having issues with the ads again, let me know.
    Fanra likes this.
  7. svann Augur

I just saw something like
    waiting on ads.twitter.com
    in the bottom left of the screen. I thought it odd since i subscribe to alla so there shouldnt be any ads. It was only a delay of a few seconds so not that bad. Just odd.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

We've also posted about 5 billion times that ad blockers take care of it as well, but you ignore that.

LOL @ u, one of the 6 people on earth under the age of 65 who doesn't use an ad blocker ;)
  9. Zish Elder

I guess you must have skimmed those 5 billion posts, because there were plenty of them mentioning that you cannot block the ads on ZAM with uBlock in Chrome. If your solution is to use a different browser, we're reaching the point of silliness.

This is a serious problem. It was the same exact situation on WoWhead, with the same intrusive ads. Do you know how we fixed it? The community did not accept this blatant disrespect for the playerbase. They created massive threads detailing the problems, until ZAM finally relented and removed the ads from their WoWhead site. They did not remove them from the EverQuest site. Why? Because you people accept it. Because you accept the terrible service. You roll over and yell "just buy premium!" like someone that doesn't know what good customer service is.
    Annastasya and Duder like this.
  10. Khat_Nip Meow

That's 100% incorrect. This is a short vid I did a couple weeks ago. I block everything I don't want just fine:
    snailish and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

None of that is true.

- I don't accept it. (I don't ever see the ads)
    - I don't accept terrible service. (I have no need of customer service, I go to the site, and it works)
    - I don't yell "buy premium". I'm not premium

Enjoy your fantasy world.
    snailish likes this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Your the one having an aneurysm here, not me.

Let's see, I can click this icon, and have a stroke.
    Or I can click this other icon, and everything works.

And I'm the silly one? LOL
  13. Febb Augur

That intrusive ad system only works with chrome. Use firefox with an ad blocker. You're welcome.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  14. Tolzol Augur

I mean technically if your not paying to use their site i don’t think you understand what the term customer means. You are not a customer if you do not buy premium. You are using their site for free so you have to deal with the ads. Sites make money from ads not from people that don’t pay but want to complain about so yea i fail to see this serious problem. Zam is a whole whopping dollar a month, cheaper if you pay for a year. Or you can do as others have said to not see ads.
    Parkers and snailish like this.
  15. moogs Augur

You don't have to accept website advertisements. Pick literally any ad blocker browser plugin ever and click Install.
  16. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Only thing that is keeping me from subbing to Allak is these reports of sluggishness. Once they get sorted I would think people will support the valuable resource.
  17. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

It looks like the site migration isn't going to happen this week. The main engineer over this project was sent out of town for conferences this week and will be busy with all that, plus he keeps finding new issues with getting things moved over. He's been testing things on the new host to make sure everything is going like it should and I have been testing things out for him as well.

Unfortunately Allakhazam is one of the smaller sites of ZAM and doesn't get the priority that their bigger sites have so we have to wait until there is an opening in availability of the right people. I'm not going to give a date and time on anything until I know it's going to happen, I'm rather tired of being told one thing and it not happening so I'll just wait. :p
    Tatanka and snailish like this.
  18. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I feel your pain. When I hear of situations like this I always wonder whether the person delaying (not you) is being paid by someone for something? If the answer is "yes" then you have a recourse in every case. You can argue to the person delaying that from what you know your money is just as green as the person who appears to be getting priority over and over again. It's a subtle argument when best presented for sure.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Using something for free doesn't seem to entail a lot of rights from what I can see.
    Parkers and snailish like this.
  20. snailish Augur

Keep in mind that when Railus and Fleven were let go there was a lurch where only Cyliena (who had mostly done news updates on the site before) got saddled with the entire job formerly done by two full time long established employees. She wasn't able to keep up with the data inputting, despite trying.

Cyliena got to do this for about a year? until her contract ran out, knowing full well the rug was being pulled out. It seemed like Allakhazam's was going to be allowed to wither on the vine. Cyliena took the high road for the EQ community. She talked them into letting her start the volunteer admns. For the first almost year there were only 5 of us, two of whom I never saw contribute anything and one that completely quit at some point with no reason given. Hence TBM launch & info was brutal on the site, partly because there was stuff we didn't have permissions enabled to add or do.

But we did enough (Thanks Larth the one other volunteer admn that did stuff and continues to this day) and the community kept providing info, and enough people stayed subbed that they started talking to us more, asking what we needed to keep the site going. Our answer at the time was: get the item collector working and let us have more volunteer admins.

Thankfully they allowed both. Gidono, Bobbybick and quite a few others (some of whom don't show up in forum posts and like to be behind the scenes) to step in. Content wise the site is the best it has ever been in some respects, and in some cases we just need more user input. I am 99% retired from being helpful there now (and hardly get to play EQ... real life) but remain impressed with what the team continues to do.

I can only imagine Gidono's frustration around the site performance issues and being the "voice/face" of it here... he's fighting the fight for EQ community. Props to all the volunteer admn and users that continue to contribute.

You don't have to sub, as others have said... adblocker. But the complaining is sort of misplaced.