All I want for Christmas...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ravers, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Ravers New Member

Is a free heroic character, thanks Daybreak!
    Jhenna_BB and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  2. slayerofbats Augur

I want Vanguard brought back.
    Vanguard 2
    EverQuest 3 (done properly, yea right)

They are currently hiring for what I think will be EQ3 but I am pretty sure it will be bad like EQ2, Landmark, etc. The games industry doesn't understand its audience and the data. The data suggests that dumbing down is the key to better income, so that is all that gets made now, but it is misleading data. Anyone with good experience of gaming, and intuition, could tell you why the data is wrong. But I don't think the few people like that have much of a say in the world of modern gaming.
    Risiko likes this.
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I'd take advantage of a sale! I can't believe I don't have a Heroic Enchanter after learning all those recipes to max my Prize lol.

My guildmates are hugs for putting up with my begging for Vials and Bars lol
  4. ptah Augur

A sense of adventure. Mix of fear, excitement, and good ole stress. Teaming up with a new or old friends and to finish out a quest. Pray I dont sit next to a dude that sinks when watching Last Jedi.
  5. Koryu Professional Roadkill

A Grow clicky would make a nice stocking stuffer. Dozens for Shrink, but no Grow that doesn't require recharging...
    Tucoh and Bigstomp like this.
  6. Risiko Augur

It's honestly not any of the companies' fault that they are making games that have the potential to make the greatest return on investment. That's what good companies are supposed to do.

What you are looking for in a game can and will only be made by a company (or group of individuals) that have a passion for making a specific style of game regardless of the potential return on investment.

That is exactly what Visionary Realms is doing with their in-development MMORPG right now called Pantheon. They made a decision early on to make a game based on a specific style of game for which they knew was not going to be a massive return on investment title. The reason they chose to go that route is because that's the game the owner wanted to make. You might have heard of him; Brad McQuaid.

Will Daybreak Games ever make a true successor to Everquest that doesn't aim for the mass-market appeal for maximum return on investment? Nobody can say. What we can say for sure though is that it is not in their parent company's best interest for them to do so. Daybreak Game's parent company, Columbus Nova, would obviously prefer for them to make titles that bring in the best return on investment possible. It would be highly irregular for their parent company to want them to make a game title that would have limited appeal to the public and a small target return on investment.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So, he'd be a witch, then? Or not a witch? I can never remember.
  8. slayerofbats Augur

Yup, very highly irregular! But my point was that the greatest return on investment thing is debatable. The data suggests casual games are the most profitable, but that is because the data is so one sided and so incomplete. Also to cater to the mainstream you need to spend a fortune on graphics and voice overs etc. There have been an endless stream of huge budget MMOs, Rift, Warhammer, Wildstar, Tera, ArcheAge, Aion, Age of Conan, TESO, etc..etc.. etc... a hundred others, so clearly that is what the industry thinks is the only good option. All those games were built using the same philosophy. Nothing too deep, complex or challenging, in the name of mass appeal. An easy to grasp, 'theme park' experience. But did they all have a good return on investment? I think not because I think WoW got there first, did it better, and already has that type of game all sewn up.

I think the better return on investment would be to aim at an audience that may be smaller (although there is no data to prove this one way or another either), but they will be fanatical about a game made for them. It would also be cheaper to make because those people don't need expensive stuff like voice overs, etc. Build a hardcore survival MMO like EQ was in 1999. Most gamers today will have never experienced anything like that before. Current EQ is so different from how it was and there has never been a true sequel. EQ2 certainly wasn't it, Vanguard was kinda close but was too half baked, and even that game lost its vision half way through and ended up just another quest hub and solo friendly game. Pantheon looks promising but I'm not sure if they have the budget to make something more than a small niche game. Hope they can surprise me though.

I am sure DBG will announce EQ3 soon, but I don't know what they will do with it. I suspect they will just make another casual MMO that goes f2p 6 months later when everyone has tried it and left. It depends who is in charge of making decisions. Anyone who grew up playing games in the 80s and 90s saw how popular hardcore RPGs were and how that all changed from 2000 onwards. The most popular RPGs back then was stuff like Baldur's Gate and in just 20 years that has changed to the point where single character action games that are barely even RPGs, are now the popular games. I am sure tastes have changed but the budgets all go to those big simple games, never to a hardcore game. It is lucky to have kickstarter or there would be nothing, but at least there is stuff like Divinity Original Sin and some others that keep the flag flying. Dark Souls shows there is an audience who can handle some challenge. But really, the data is incomplete. There has never been a big budget RPG or MMO with the kind of depth early EQ had, since EQ. Nobody knows how a well funded modern version of a deep and tactical game would fare. I would guess it could be very popular, but I think the industry are not sure and wouldn't want to risk trying.

Hope DBG can make something popular though. I want to have fun in groups and last time I did that was 2001. I can't even get it in EQ anymore. A fresh start in a fresh game would be so nice!
  9. Vanrau Augur

They announced what game they are hiring for, it doesn't have anything to do with Everquest though.
  10. slayerofbats Augur

11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Bring back Vanguard!
    slayerofbats likes this.
  12. Ravers New Member

I change my christmas wish, Bring back EverQuest Online Adventures
  13. mackal Augur

Go to DBG web site and go read the job openings it will give you plenty of details (unsure if they would get mad if I just straight up said what it was)
  14. slayerofbats Augur

Still seeing a huge number of staff for an "Unannounced Project".
  15. mackal Augur

Some of those describe what kind of game it is ;)
  16. Vanrau Augur

17. slayerofbats Augur

18. Thraine Augur

ill take a big bag of exp pls, you know since rezzes don't work on me :p
  19. oldandnasty Augur

How about some free 10 day trial subs, so I can fix all my formerly all access accounts AA that I haven't dared to log into since the AA revamp.