Agnarr vs Phinny population?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dabrixmgp, May 30, 2017.

1. Malachi Augur

This is actually the only point that needs to be made about EQ's demise from #1 spot.
    Everyone from Diablo fans to Warcraft fans to rock and roll racing fans couldn't wait to see what WoW would be. As soon as a juggernaut like Blizzard announced it was making an mmo EQ was dead no matter what. Blizzard brand recognition alone could carry WoW for years. And wifh the resources they brought into the genre, there game was sure to succeed.
  2. malaki Augur

People always talk about how easy WoW is, but the hard parts of WoW are oders of magnitude harder than anything EQ has.
    ayoforYayoh and Jaxarale01 like this.
  3. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Did anybody else never give EQ2 a chance, simply because their EQ toons & progress wouldn't transfer over in any meaningful way? I distinctly remember deciding not to even try EQ2 because it made all the subscription time in EQ feel like a waste. Instead, I branched out and tried games from other companies.

I have since tried EQ2, and even though today it is "just another MMO clone", it is still light-years ahead of EQ. I know for certain that I would have jumped on board if there had been more of a tie-in with EQ and the years of effort I had put into it (my toons and such).
  4. Machentoo Augur

If the game had been terrible the hype wouldn't have mattered. People would have tried it and quickly moved on to something else. Blizzard's popularity from previous games gave them a huge opportunity to succeed, but WoW also delivered.
  5. Rhodz Augur

With the people on that project it was never going to be terrible. Had a lot of technical issues at first but the launch went far better than most. Man did they ever deliver.
  6. Risiko Augur

I was in the beta for both WoW and EQ2, and quite simply, WoW was a LOT better than EQ2.

After the betas, I ended up playing both games off and on, but I never enjoyed EQ2 as much as I did WoW when it came out.

EQ2 at release had a lot of game design decisions that just did not make sense nor were fun. Things like losing run speed because somebody in your group entered combat with a mob on the other side of the zone.... Losing experience because somebody in your group died... Forced multi-mob encounters where there was no such thing as split pulling... EQ2 was so badly designed at release, and thankfully, most of the issues with it have been redesigned over the years. EQ2 today is a much better game than it was at release.

The thing is, they tried too hard to make EQ2 be something other than EQ Part 2. They wanted it to be different. The problem is that we didn't want different. We wanted the Everquest with updated graphics. What we got was something other than that, and in reality, World of Warcraft was just plain closer to being an Everquest clone than Everquest 2.
    Krrill and Malachi like this.
  7. Malachi Augur

Thats what i meant by resources. It couldnt be any less than atleast "good" with the amount of resources blizzard had. Resources=creative talent, extremely qualified programmers and devolopers.
  8. Damezza Augur

Back to the original subject: agnarr listed as "high" server pop. Phinny with "medium". Anyone have experience to share about the different server populations now that agnarr has been around a bit longer
  9. elebertus Journeyman

Please go into detail about what is hard about either of these games apart from running a guild or organizing successful and productive raids? None of the mechanics, classes, or anything the average player does in either game is objectively hard.
  10. Machentoo Augur

Both are listed as high right at the moment... And have been most of the day today including 8 AM this morning. I was actually a little surprised to see Phinny at high that early, but I guess people are indeed coming back for Gates. Lots of activity on the server today in anticipation for tomorrow's launch.
  11. Malachi Augur

You mean anticipation for an extended maintenance? ;)
    Machentoo and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  12. malaki Augur

Do you not think Mythic raiding in WoW is reasonably challenging for the average player? What in EQ remotely equates to that?
  13. Malachi Augur

Whats probably meant is the era. "Back in the day" zerging would bring a reasonably expensive computer to 1 Fps. A large portion of raiders were on 56k isp provider, and some failures could mean hour or more of setup and/or lose your chance to another group of players.

I mention this because you used the word challenging. Dealing with those factors in that era and succeeding was challenging.
    Mind you also community knowledge not readily shared and vented by thousands in seconds with easily accessible add ons like audio triggers counting down aoe casts, chat filters, reliable team speak.

All these were available in some archaic form, but a slim minority at best would utilize them (this all from personal experience only)

I wouldn't say one is/was more challenging than the other. I would say the comparison is alittle inconclusive.
  14. malaki Augur

None of that stuff applies to this game currently.
  15. elebertus Journeyman

The part where I said nothing in either game is actually hard. That's the part I wanted you to elaborate on. Mythic raiding during progression is probably harder when you don't have the gear, but you just farm gear and do it. It isn't hard. It's basically a gear check.

Sure, it's the most difficult thing in the game. That doesn't mean it's difficult though. Everquest and WoW are not "hard" games or really even skill based, especially when it comes to doing large group content (raiding).
  16. Krrill Journeyman

I play on Phinny with one of the Time raiding guilds. Yes Agnarr temporarily took some of our guild members over to Agnarr. As some others have said, to farm krono. Also a reason for a lower than normal population is that a lot are just burnt out and with no true expansion out until GoD and no level increase until OoW, people are taking a break to recharge. And thirdly, it's summer. More people doing things on the weekend than during the winter months. With GoD coming out today and OoW in about 8 weeks, you will see Phinny population increase.
  17. Dabrixmgp Augur

ROFL cant tell if serious. Please tell me one thing in WoW that is/was harder than Prenerf Tunat or killing AoW during Velious without using like 200 people.
  18. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Zerging is not hard, it is not a show of skill. But I am not taking a side on the WoW vs EQ WHO IS HARDER challenge. It's like asking which 7th grader can put their shoes on fastest. Who cares? The whole point of these games is to give you a sense of satisfaction, self worth, and accomplishment without leaving your chair, while collecting your money. And they both seem to do that just fine.
  19. ayoforYayoh Augur

As someone who could actually log in their wow character instead of just spouting off stuff i can 100% tell you the top end mythics in wow are so, so many light years ahead of anything inside of everquest has ever had difficulty wise. .

Most likely the ones saying otherwise have made a level 10 in wow then called it good seeing all they ever needed to see in wow.

But enough about all that.....we have REAL questions in the everquest community that deserves REAL answers. .......Bard or Ranger??
  20. Machentoo Augur

Have you raided live from say Underfoot to EoK? Current how the two compare. It's been years since I've raided in WoW.