Agnarr, time to change it to F2P?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by globeadue, Oct 4, 2019.

1. HoodenShuklak Augur

To me that says no new players are starting and high level players aren't trade Skilling. A f2p server could only help that, but it's a matter of economics to dbg. They can see how many people subscribe solely to play agnarr and then weigh that against potential cash sales or new subscribers.

Quite honestly, I'd be surprised if there were hundreds of people that subscribe solely for agnarr.
  2. tofu stir fry Augur

given the lifespan of a regular TLP, ive never quite grasped the idea why someone would choose to start on a server knowing that it would die as soon as LOY/POP lost its lustre ... starting on agnarr is no ones fault but the playerbase there. if you dont like it start over on another server .... DBG gives us lots of options
  3. Bullsnooze Augur

I would agree if the subscription fee was solely to play on Agnarr, but considering players also have access to other server types there is no need for the pricing change. Free to Play (F2P) and its many variations is not really designed to entice new players to join or to revitalize a community. It's model design is at most another way to gain revenue (or additional revenue) at the expense of players. In fact EverQuest is still Pay to Play with Free to Play elements.
  4. Krezzy Augur

Standard servers offer perks to subscription members, such as better gear, higher AAxp totals, and so on. I'd just as soon see TLPs not doing this sort of thing.
  5. northstar Augur

Doesn't matter anyhow people have maybe enough for what tops 3 subscriptions and judging by the games population Everyone is mostly on Wow Classic anyhow with full to high servers during night hours, and layered servers in the daytime. So I am guessing Daybreak is feeling it and even with their new progression server this November they might see a handful of fresh subs. Don't make Agnarr a free server then no biggie I have 2 subscriptions in WoW classic anyhow bout all I can afford and it is worth it in classic WoW far more than Agnarr EverQuest….
  6. Machen New Member

So if you can't afford to give money to DBG, why should they let you play their game?

They are not a non-profit. They have bills to pay that P99 does not.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Man, I completely forgot about WoW Classic. You'd have thought I would have remembered because of all of the predictions that EQ population would tank when WoW Classic came out. Turns out, nothing changed. Imagine that.
  8. northstar Augur

I never said i couldn't afford it, nor did I say I didn't want to play, theres thousands of free games that offer a subscriptions, like I said average person can afford maybe 3 tops. stretching the money to the games with and I hope you can grasp this. THE BEST VALUE. is somewhat of a task in itself. for me WoW classic currently has my $$$ never said that couldn't change. how about a slightly different approach, keep Agnarr sub based but reduce its subscription for that particular server by half, at best that would be a point to just play there. But even at half price playing Agnarr might be a tough sale when WoW Classic population is overflowing...
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

Returning-to-EQ players dont yet know that dbg is doing a pump and dump every time a server hits luclin/pop.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

The difference between free and even 1 dollar is quite huge.

The fact that so many modern games use microtransactions just means it works. Clearly a f2p server for eq works just looking at the scene. Even those old small emus had donators all over them to get in game advantages. And those were all hidden behind some aura of "we aren't profiting".

Dbg could turn agnarr f2p and maybe create some cash items that cater to the agnarr population.

One thing is certain, a server like fippy with the lights on and nobody ever home is just sad and whatever money it makes is not even chicken feed.

Agnarr is very salvageable though, I believe. It's just competing against f2p servers with dedicated staff. That's not dbg strong suit.
  11. northstar Augur

This is pretty much what I am trying to say, Where is the incentive to play on Everquest or Agnarr compared to what other games offer. it isn't the old argument that EQ is old I call BS on that. The Retro gaming Craze is very healthy... But with better Value in other games there wont be many or very few people willing to dump a subscription or pay for what $79-$139 USD on the Glamour expansions that EQ has now?? and like the guy wrote above they are wasting money with Fippy being pay to play and no one is home... think about it.
  12. northstar Augur

Because I have to post a second time and can't edit my above comments, let me give you an example and to sum it all up. When a game or server feels dead or stagnant, people leave and don't spend a dime. I have 2 Lifetime accounts in another Daybreak MMO, LOTRO. They introduced legacy progression servers. It launched pretty well, but even having two lifetimes in that game. I am stuck playing WoW classic, because there is Other people playing the game and it feels busy. No people for me means there is no incentive to play because the game feels dead and a dead game in my mind, is a waste of $$$ to sink it into. simple as that.
  13. Machen New Member

Lowering the subscription price won't fix that for Agnarr, it would just mean DBG gets even less money from the few still playing there.
  14. northstar Augur

I'll be honest when I say it really is a mute topic seeing as DBG doesn't have a real marketing department if it did it is quite laughable at how well they promote this game or look outside there cubical at what other games are doing.... Ever see Joe Vs. The Volcano?? old flick with tom hanks, look it up on YouTube, the beginning is classic, with the fluorescent lights and when he snaps.... kind of what I am talking about.
  15. Ceffener Augur

DBG could just shut P99 down and stop all your arguments about how it’s competition.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

Moot, too. Brain cloud, man.
  17. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

This is pretty hilarious. I remember before Agnarr was launched, people were talking about how healthy the population would be, because, after all, PoP era was the most popular era of EQ....Now they want to play on the prison server for free, using the fact that Agnarr is hemorrhaging players because no one wants to be locked in an era forever as evidence that it should be F2P....You guys asked for this horrible idea for a server, now I think you should have to live with your mistake.

I enjoy playing EQ and I pay for it, I want everyone else to pay for it as well since I would like to keep playing, at least for now. A loss in revenue would be unacceptable at this point. The game is barely limping along and you want to hamstring it? No thanks. Maybe next time think your idea/proposal for a new server through before you ask for it. You don't want to pay to play on Agnarr because it doesn't progress? Fine, play somewhere else, but don't ask for a handout because the server YOU wanted is not what you imagined it would be.
    Terranos likes this.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

There were a lot of people surmising that going from a sub to f2p on agnarr would actually make more money. Going irate and acting like Hillary isn't going to contribute to the conversation.

Explaining why f2p is bad for agnarr is an angle you could consider, however.
  19. Machen New Member

Making less money is the most important factor. If it is good for Agnarr but DBG makes less money, they won't do it.

Obviously the very best thing to do for Agnarr population would be to make it entirely free to play, give away unlimited xp pots, etc. The chance that they would ever do that is zero.
  20. Xeris Augur

Finally sold my plat on Agnarr. Krono'd up!!