Agnarr PSA: Don't stress over gear so much( with some exceptions)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, May 23, 2017.

1. Hinastorm86 Augur

Don't stress over your stats so much early on in agnarr, chances are the increase will have less of an effect than you think.

The worst example I can think of is max mana. People will pay dozens of krono to have 3000 max mana instead of the other guys with 2000. Outside of raids, this has little effect. If your group makes an especially bad pull, and the chanter is able to lock it down for a long time b/c of his mana pool, great. Or your healer is able to last longer on said kind of pull. But that is not the norm, and not worth several krono or alot of effort.

Other commonly overestimated stats (imo) are : Str, Dex, Agi, Cha, Int, Wis, HP (for non tanks and or non raiders). The prices for items with alot of these stats at first will be extreme, and people will pay it. Don't waste your hard earned resources ( time being a resource also.)

GEBS may sell for 6 krono or so at first, but there is no logical reason for an average player to make that purchase.

Now obvious exceptions:

AC: If you are tanking, more ac does make a noticeable difference.
    Spell focus: Not all of these are great. Alot of them are, and are worth investment.
    Mana regen: Very strong
    Haste: Very strong

Feel free to correct me if you feel I am wrong, would love input. I'm just really bothered by the idea that average (not rich) players will spend 6 krono on something like GEBS, expecting some big effect. There is no big effect.

TLDR: Not every stat increase is worth thousands of plat/several krono. Be educated on the effects of stats.
    andross77 and Kanuvan like this.
  2. Grelf Journeyman

-Play EQ
    -Not stress over gear

Pick one.
  3. Orxbane New Member

With raiding being more accessible, and the 12 week unlock timer, is there any place to find info on what items are actually worthwhile to try to farm in group content. Take GEBS for an example, they seem pretty strong at least through Kunark, granted I don't play casters so I don't know what they have as options in raids. I'm somewhat surprised how little info is available for TLPs considering they've been around in some form or another for quite awhile.

On Ragefire during Classic, there was so much time between unlocks and the raid mobs were contested so those tradeable items were worth more than they would be on Phinni or Agnarr.
  4. Hinastorm86 Augur

For raiders, ya pretty much. Groupers can afford to play, and be picky about where they stress =D
  5. Sandrito Elder

Its the pay to win crowd who just want to flex their e-p-e-e-n and be better than everyone else who will pay real money for this stuff.. I find it mind boggling that people prioritize virtual stuff over real... but anyway, if people didn't do that, then the server would be free of farmers.

Farmers only exist because of demand.
  6. Grelf Journeyman

I think even the most casual player's eyes light up when they see an item they can use drop from a named their group has been camping.

But yeah you're right about all the krono jazz.
  7. Machentoo Augur

90% of the game centers around achieving gear. There really is nothing to stress about in EQ besides gear. What else do you have to do in classic once you are level 50 but try to hit that 3000 mana pool, or whatever?
    Mashef likes this.
  8. Hinastorm86 Augur

I feel like you may not of read the whole thing, or are misunderstanding my intent.

To be clear, I just want people to educate themselves on the real effects of stats, and not overpay for some perceived gain thats not really there. My Gebs example summing this up.

Yes it bugs me when people make uninformed poor purchases.Maybe I should not care about others in this way, but I do.
  9. Machentoo Augur

I think you missed mine. A lot of players will end up with all the gear you mentioned as being higher priority, and I doubt any caster will prioritize mana over spell foci. But when you have all your foci, and you've checked off everything that is more important, and the only thing left that you can do to continue to advance your toon is a bigger mana pool, and you've earned a few dozen kronos or the equivalent, then there really isn't any reason to hold back from buying the gebs. Or camp it yourself.

Also for what it's worth, GEBS has a focus effect, so not sure why you'd single that out as not worthy to pursue when focus effects were on your important list.
  10. Hinastorm86 Augur

I dont disagree with any of that.

GEBS focus is faster buff cast, not exactly useful to my knowledge.

I dont mean this as argumentative, but I feel like you're mostly coming from the hardcore player point of view, which is fine. Most people wont have dozens of kronos.
  11. Kanuvan Elder

It would be silly to stress over gear on a server where no one has gear, whats the point of wasting krono when everyone is going to be in cloth gear anyway? Only time id consider a krono is if you were on a year old server and you had trouble finding groups in low levels and at that point plat would lose its value and everything would be much cheaper
  12. taliefer Augur

for leveling purposes during classic especially, gear isnt a huge deal. a set of banded will last any melee to 50 easy, even tanks
  13. Prisim Lorekeeper

Very important for melee: weapon ratio and haste item

Very important for casters: your important spells

That's about it. The rest will come in time. As said, rock the banded and you'll be fine.
    andross77 likes this.
  14. Rauven Augur

Been running some quick and dirty numbers. And it seems STR/AGI and DEX to some extent (don't have parses to get the real numbers offhand) get better bang for the buck than INT/WIS for mana and STA for HP. This is speaking of starting numbers of course (though you do want your mainstats over 75 if they are low for your race/class combo).

Raw HP and Mana of course provide a good tangible benefit for everyone.

CHA is good for those that use it, up to 120 (150 for enchanters due to memblur on mez's).

For caster/healer classes, max mana does not speed things up, mana regen does however. You only need to increase mana pools if running out of mana in an encounter would be a detriment. Rule of thumb here is if you run out of mana in a single encounter. You need more mana. If its over a few encounter, you need mana regen instead. You need both to cover emergencies and camp respawn rotations.
  15. Ming Tee Augur

Stop krono blockin bruh.