Agnarr: New to Server, Undecided on Class

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kurnath, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Kurnath New Member

That is how I remember groups wanting me to play bard back in the day (like 10+ years ago). Occasionally would have to mez but very rarely pull, usually the group had someone who wanted to. I have a feeling most of them just wanted an actual person instead of just a box...

Sounds like if I want to play bard I need to make groups aware that I am learning pulling and mezzing. I am sure people would be happy to help out right?

Oh yeah trust me, I know what a bad bard is. A bard that knows what its doing adds a ton to the group. That's why I am trying to figure out if its worth it for me to play bard and try to learn or just do some other class.
  2. Kurnath New Member

Ignoring bard as an option, and if rogue is a "eh" option as most people seem to be saying. What class would be closest to a "melee bard" type of class? Basically buffing themselves/group while putting out some dps.
  3. BearmanSW Elder

Ranger is probably your best bet for a non-pulling, DPS melee.

You won't really get to buff the group much, but your having a mana bar helps you avoid pulling.

As an aside, once the server gets to Luclin, everyone will want you in their group.
  4. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

There was a period of time in the first few years where people just wanted bards to sit around and play mana song. I don't remember when it started or when it ended, but that was true for a while.
  5. Madae Elder

This thread is the reason why I stopped playing my Warrior and my Enchanter.

Holding aggro is too much of a headache, and Warriors have insane gear requirements, so you're mostly outleveling and pulling literal trash for a long time until you can get the gear to get in a better group.

Enchanters are almost required to keep a pet, which is irritating to me, because even with high Charisma, they will still break often. It's great being able to find a group quickly, though, and I enjoy keeping things CC'd, but I just don't care for the pet crap.

I dunno. It's been awhile since I've played here, so this probably changed with the latest expansions (I quit before Velious). I enjoyed my Rogue the most because they are mindless, have one job and it's not at all hard to pull it off with even substandard gear. That would be my recommendation if you're against playing classes to their "full" potential. The only downside is that it can take awhile until you find a group.
  6. Poledo_EQ Elder

Like I said on page 1 before you asked this question, Ranger seems right up your alley.
  7. Kattria Minx Augur

It doesn't matter what class was the go-to puller 10+ years ago. Bards are expected to pull in groups and raids. That doesn't mean you won't find a group where the SK or enchanter or wizard or shaman or whatever wants to pull. But in a PUG, just assume they want the bard to pull. Even if a monk is in the group.

I don't know what any of the rest of you are talking about with regard to rogue DPS being terrible. My DPS is awesome--has always been awesome--and I'm certainly not the best geared rogue in my guild (I'm geared well, just not BIS in all the things).

If you don't want to pull and you want to do DPS, you should play a rogue, mage, wizard.
  8. Poledo_EQ Elder

I love rogues, I don't get the stigma, but it is real and it exists.
  9. Tachyon Augur

The stigma is more about a few loud voices than everyone who plays. A vast majority of groups will take whatever they can get at any given time.

I played a Wizzy on Agnarr for a change and had no trouble finding groups even though we are not the absolute best as far as Classic DPS goes

I grouped with many Rogues as well. One nice thing about Rogues is they can generally get to your group for a rep no matter how deep in you are or what is locked.

A good player/person is always desirable, no matter what the class.
    Poledo_EQ likes this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

One of those, eh? Charisma has no noticeable affect on charm duration.