Agnarr-Class choice

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Shaeli, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Shaeli Journeyman

Greetings,
    So, my first and only character on here has been a cleric and I got to experience a raid for the first time on it. Needless to say, I was very disappointed due to how boring it was, since your basically just a rezz/heal bot.

I'm looking to reroll, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Cleric is only 46 and I'd feel like im just either wasting time leveling another class and I'm not really sure what to play otherwise, since all my gear is either cleric only or isn't stat properly for non wisdom classes.
    Unless I should just stick it out? I don't box either, if that helps (And no, I dont wish to be a druid!)
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

What exactly are you looking to do? You rolled a cleric but don't want to rez/heal which is the entire point of the class so I'd be hesitant to suggest anything without knowing what you are expecting to get out of a character.
  3. Fluid Augur

If you don't like Cleric, I don't know what to suggest for a direction to go but I will say do not pick a Paladin under any circumstances!
  4. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

EQ clerics are, to me, the worst healing class in any MMO I've played.

This remains the one game I wont main a white mage / monk type healer in.
  5. Zorglub Journeyman

Try all classes till lvl 15 and you will get the essence from each one (let's say some clues,lol).
    Each class has its job, Cleric heals, buffs and rez; Wizard pew-pew and like mage is monodimensional (it may be a pleasure though);Enchanter is very diversified : mez, mem blur,charm,clarity, illusions, the list is long but playing a chanter is a real work and the opposite of Clerics and wizzies in term of density of activity.
    Following what Bobbybick says, try to discover what is appealing to you, I am not sure that you know yet what exactly you like.
  6. Karanthal Augur

Every class can be dull on raids, no matter which class you tend to perform the same actions over and over again.

But raiding was never really fun because of what you do on the raid. Sure some encounters are more interesting than others. But raiding is really all about getting together with a bunch of friends and playing the game. Sending the rangers in for DTs, taunting the shaman by asking for buffs you know they don't have space to mem, getting the paladins to setup an Act of Valour rotation. The more you raid with the same people, the more fun you will start to have regardless of the class you choose.
    snailish and Drusi like this.
  7. Communist Puppy Augur

Problem with agnarr is that classes dont really develop that far pop and before. A lot of classes really start branching out at OOW+, where they get a lot of class definition.
  8. Strawberry Augur

I don't think it's the cleric class itself. Raiding is simply very boring early in EQ, many mobs are tank and spank and you have very little AA and abilities. DoD+, where phinni will be soon, is 10 times more exciting to raid.

I love classic due to the wide open zones in Kunark and the great zone design, the sense of exploration, the fact this was the first time you were dropped in a massive world. But classic raiding is terrible imo.

Exactly

The raids stop being tank and spank right after PoP. Raids like Uqua, Inktu'ta, MPG trials, Sendaii Hive Queen, Vishimtar, etc are 10 times more exciting than anything you find in classic-PoP. The farther you go in EQ, the more complex raids become.

I raided classic on a TLP and I forgot how boring it was, you simply have far too few abilities and there is not enough strategy involved. There is not enough complexity and difference between classes, there are not enough burn tacticts, not enough offtanking, not enough AA, not enough fail mechanics, not enough scripts, not enough aggro memwipes, not enough AE, not enough AE stuns, it is far too easy to corner mobs, etc. The raid complexity simply isn't there to make it fun, at least not for me.
    McJumps likes this.
  9. Doonish New Member

How do you like to play a mmorpg?
  10. EQMMO New Member

Play a bard or rogue again like in the good ol days Shaeli
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

Raids can be as dull or busy as you want them to be.

Some people click through raid Windows checking buffs and some people barely buff even when asked. I rarely see a buff on a pet... but it helps.

Learn to swap targets, assist npcs, patch on the fly... there's a lot you can do beyond simply waiting for a boss to spam heals on the tank.

I've noticed agnarr has a huge percent of just lazy or ill informed players.

Try this... go entire raid with people not asking for your buffs. As a cleric this is achievable imo. You will be busy as heck because chances are the other clerics are surfing the web waiting for the advl window to pop up.
  12. Ultrazen Augur

There are some classes that have more interesting mechanics, like bard or chanter, but that's not what's really good about EQ. What's good about EQ, is that's it fairly difficult, requires coordination, and develops friendships. It's much more about people than it is game mechanics. If that's not satisfying for you, no class choice is going to change that.
  13. Phantom Ghost Augur

Tank its the most active in raid you tank, off tank etc. In group you tank and likely pull.
  14. Fhiele Augur

I hate when the tank pulls. That's valuable time we aren't killing a mob generally. That's why we have bards and monks people.

Play a monk or bard. Pulling is great fun, you're always active, and you get to "learn" each zone as you play in them.
  15. Phantom Ghost Augur

Try telling that to the pulling class monk. They just respond with their more useful dps. But I agree you cannot reliably chain pull as a tank, so only beneficial with a lack of mobs.

Most monks don't even seem to consider pulling. If you ask they just say they are unfamiliar with the zone. If they try to pull they bring more adds than are even in any giving pack to back up their unfamiliar claim.