Agnarr and what the heck to main?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by northstar, Jun 12, 2017.

1. northstar Augur

I admit the last 3 weeks have been killing me on deciding what to level as a main. I get a character to 15-17 and /delete reroll, until I am back at the character I decided in the first place then /delete reroll, omg someone stop this madness seriously!!!

the stress of it all has gotten a bit frustrating simply because I have spent a few sleepless nights leveling and rerolling. one thing I plan to do is get a 1 Krono for a decent twink weapon, not Yaks or anything crazy. but some kind of weapon and possibly some HP/AC rings. 2nd I really want to subscribe for a year and haul .

now the real dilemma is this, I know every class very well. I love them all to a degree. however that is my downfall I think because alts are not my thing. I just want 1 solid character to skill cap everything and kick some serious . but with me wasting the last 3 weeks? I feel like I am really choking at the best time of the game.

my number one choice right now is making a cleric (I think) however I know what raiding a cleric is all about and it makes me a bit skittish. The main reason? I freaking HATE voice chat while raiding. I raided this game for 6 years without it. Speaking Frankly if I want to hear Mr. Nasal Cavity Joe Blow talk with a heavy nostril accent and his 3 kids Larry swear worse than a truck driving sailor. I really wouldn't be playing this game for it. are peoples fingers really that broken to not use typing channels? or is there a guild somewhere on Agnarr that will never use VC? because I really want to join that guild.

Anyhow... I need options and pros and cons laid out flat. just so I can see what would be best in the long run.. eh I really don't want to go back to any other MMO. this is by far one of the greatest MMO's that I have had the time to play since 2001. Yikes! any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    nirriri likes this.
  2. Kahna Augur

You know you don't have to delete the character to reroll. Just roll them and play around until you find a class you really like, and stop deleting them. If you are doing it because you have a name you really like just make a placeholder with that name, level other toons with other names, then delete the placeholder and namechange whichever toon you decided you want to keep as your main.

And typing is a horrible way of trying to herd cats, errr, raid. 95% of a raid can but put on mute in voice chat if you hate it, but you will be hard pressed to find a guild that types anything these days.
    nirriri likes this.
  3. Yruc Augur

I too having issues picking what to play. I have a level 30 cleric and a level 21 mage. Both are fun but both can be boring at times and get me wanting to try something else...

I'll do the standard line of play what you want to play, but I will add, play what you are GOOD at. I make note of the good players and I'm sure others do as well. There are a ton of bad players out there, hey I realize it may have been 10 years and will cut them some slack and not write them off, they could still be learning or their play style is different than mine, as long as I'm not dying (a lot) then I just deal with it. But I do make note and do say good work to the good ones.

Right now on Agnarr there are a ton of mages / enchanters / clerics / druids - these numbers will decrease over time (I've seen them come down some already not a lot, but some) as people make alts or get bored or go back to their server to await the next expansion...

I see a lot of groups hollering for tanks... There are only a few rogues and Paladins out there.

As for the voice chat, most don't want everyone talking just listen during the raids As for grouping I don't think most guilds will require you be on the voice chat.
  4. Malokhan Elder

GOOD tanks seem to be in short supply. There are a fair amount of tanks out there that have no clue what they are doing.

After I cap out my Wiz and Enc, I'll roll an SK and see how it goes for getting groups.
  5. Tachyon Augur

If you prefer to listen to VC only when absolutely necessary and not get yelled at if you miss something I suggest a DPS class that's not a tank or puller. Then you can pretty much roll with it, occasionally listening in for target and engage.

Rogue (will occasionally be asked to drag corpses, unlock doors in later expansions)
    Ranger (may be asked to kite, but that's later expansions as well)
    Necromancer (the twitch thing, but most clerics hot button a /tell)
    Wizard (as long as you show up on dps logs they won't even acknowledge your existence)
  6. Amoeba Augur

Since you enjoy everything it seems, I would suggest a DPS class of some sort.

There are easy mode classes like mage and wizard (I say that because many times in group it's stand, nuke, sit, wait) but there are more involved ones like monk and ranger and rogue.

What really shines is someone that can fulfill a role well. For example, sure, ranger can do some DPS and stand around and wait, but one that runs out and pulls for the group, can properly split mobs, tracks rare spawns, etc is worth soooooo much.

So, find what sort of role you want to fulfill in a group, and then go with a class that you have the skills with to fulfill that role.

Non-cleric healers are awesome too. Snares (Druid), slows (shaman) are kick butt for groups where a cleric might be healing overkill.

I have been playing a mage and a paladin, and as both, I have noticed a lack of skilled tanks and skilled DPS (lots of the casters are too conservative with mana or simply ninja AFK too often).

So yeah. Play all the classes!
  7. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I've enjoyed the Bard I started on Agnarr. I'm constantly doing stuff in groups, usually pulling and back up mezzing. Not sure how raids will be on him but so far it's been fun.
  8. nestharus Journeyman

Uhm... here is my list of class descriptions. I probably missed some stuff here and there, but I think I covered a pretty decent amount ^_^.

Shadow Knight: High agro generation and good snare utility making for a well rounded group tank.
    Paladin: Stuns and high agro generation, making for a tank that works extremely well with Enchanter.
    Warrior: Disciplines making for a good raid tank. When extremely well geared, a warrior can hold low health agro while dishing out absurd amounts of damage. Couples well with a competent cleric. A well geared warrior utilizing low health agro is the best group tank. Warriors are best at tanking very large swarms of mobs and should generally focus on killing light blues. Keep in mind that a warrior isn't going to be able to tank swarms at higher levels. At higher levels, they become strictly worse than paladins and shadow knights for group play.
    Druid: When fighting against animals, this class can dish out both top tier DPS and heal.
    Shaman: Best slower in the game. Malaise works with tashani. SoW and basic backup healing. Works well with virtually every class.
    Monk: In zones with root, when nobody has much mr, the monk is the only class that can safely pull. Excellent raid puller.
    Bard: Able to stack absurd amounts of MR, can pull extremely quickly and efficiently in zones with root. Supports casters with mana regen, tank with health regen, and boosts DPS with stackable haste. Excellent tank in early game.
    Ranger: Generates a good amount of agro and deals a good amount of DPS compared to the tanks. A good class to have when going more on the DPS side and have an enchanter in the group. When there is an enchanter in the group, that group doesn't need a tank and can do with a ranger instead to break mezzes.
    Rogue: When no other melee is available.
    Wizard: Good in ae groups. This class focuses on ae damage. If the group is just killing single targets, this class is craptastic. Either get a super powered warrior to hold large trains with low health so that the wizard can ae nuke to their heart's content or get a couple of enchanters to perma stun a swarm of mobs.
    Mage: Decent DPS. Simple class. Straight forward.
    Enchanter: Top group tank. Top group DPS. Best CC in the game. Best haste and mana regen in the game. Best group puller in the game. Slow. Magic resist debuff. This class does it all and has it all except for complete heal. The Enchanter can do practically everything at once, carrying their group. Everyone else is along for the ride. Watch a good enchanter chain pull, tank, DPS, CC, and keep the entire group buffed all at once. This class is both the hardest and best class for groups on the server. There is a reason why so many people roll it. Keep in mind that this class is horrible for raids.
    Necromancer: There is a reason why all of the douchebags of the server run this class. It can solo well, it does good DPS over long periods of time, making it excellent for farming loot camps alone, and it can't be trained because it has FD. Not only that, it can train anyone that attempts to encroach on the loot camp. This class is a krono farmer's wet dream. Can also dish out pretty good damage in raids with dots and later on can act as a mana battery for clerics in raids. Good for groups in undead zones, but bad for groups in every other zone. This class will be soloing most of the time as nobody will want it unless they are in an undead zone. You will be expected to charm undead in an undead zone.
    Cleric: Best heals. Rez. Stuns. Health buffs. As a healer, need to adapt to the type of tank you are playing with and the type of group you are in. Not all tanks want to be at full health, so be sure to learn how to heal at very low amounts of health and how to time cheal for a full health tank. The timing for both of these things happen to be the same : ). In raids, you will be part of a cheal chain.
  9. Rhodz Augur

Play Enchanter and be super man with no need to med, charms that last hours, infinite hit points, DPS that rivals entire raids, and buffs that make other mere mortals gods.

Sheesh where does this come from... again are yall playing the same game?

OP are you sure you like EQ? The problem is not the classes.
  10. Aaramis Augur

Sometimes it's quite the opposite - that people love ALL the classes they play, for different reasons. As a result, it's hard to choose which one to main and level up first.
    I know I could be equally at home playing a Ranger, Bard, SK, Warrior, or Monk. Choosing just the one, however, isn't so easy - especially as they all increase in power at different speeds and play differently from expansion to expansion.

IMO, the idea of spending a krono isn't perhaps the worst idea in the world. Melee are infinitely more fun with a bit of equipment, and part of your indecision could be linked to that.

And if, after that, you think you *still* might be unsure as to what you want - then maybe aim for gear that can be shared between classes.
    For example, if you're torn between Ranger and Warrior, then maybe choose weapons that you can swap between them and not aim for the WAR-only or RNG-only stuff.

That said, you might want to pick one class sooner rather than later. I initially went with Bard, but then changed my mind and went with Ranger and I'm already well behind the curve and find myself levelling primarily with twinks already.
  11. Rhodz Augur

Or wait for gear to catch up with the classes that need it and save the money wasted on kr at this point.
    Play something now that does not need gear to function well..
  12. Carns Lorekeeper

Play a tank, you get to form the group at will, and choose the group comp based on what abilities you want the group to give you.
  13. Aaramis Augur

Not disagreeing with you :)
    But not everyone wants to play a caster or monk where you can level naked.
    Besides, there's no way I'd spend a krono at this point, especially given some of the prices I'm seeing ingame. 2.2 krono for a mithril-runed tunic? 3 krono for a BAM? Rofl. Pure lunacy.

But if, say, you're deadset on playing a Warrior?
    Then converting a krono into plat, and then buying a full set of armour, some weapons, a pair of +hp/ac rings, isn't such a bad idea.
  14. Sethiroth Augur

The answer here is very simple. Pick one and stick with it. You don't need anybody to give you pros and cons, you evidently already know enough. You said you like cleric. There you go. Play cleric. No need to thank me.

Ps wraith reborn raid without chat channels. Though they raid on euro times.
  15. Finchy Augur

charms that last hours? what you talkin bout willis?!?
  16. Rhodz Augur

Pointing out the ridiculous claims being made about the class. Didnt think the /sarc was needed due to how wild the statement but meh
  17. Rhodz Augur

Yet they are getting those prices for gear that is literally useless in a matter of weeks.
    What was the saying? Having more money than good sense...
  18. nirriri New Member

I'm with you. I really hate voice chat.

And I've been having trouble settling on one class to play as well. I know I like mage, and really, REALLY can't wait to make an Iksar beastlord, but I haven't done too much deleting with my rolling of toons yet. It's kind of like being a kid in a candy store owned by a relative. Gotta get it all!
  19. northstar Augur

Thanks for all the input, currently I leveled a Enchanter on one account to 31, but I subscribed to my main account that currently has my 25 mage on it for a year. looks like ill be playing mage. The enchanter was fun but I am just not a fan of charming in groups. its a lot of work to keep pet charmed and to keep myself from not dyeing or wasting the clerics mana to keep me alive.

At least with mage its simple, /assist main /pause 3 /pet attack hot key and just start nuking. Done. I am also looking forward to becoming a Xerox Machine as well once Luclin hits. but with mage, getting the focus items will take a bit of time, and the key pet spells too. but with the pros and cons of other classes it really isn't that bad. And to add with mage I can summon a ton of food and drink.... I hate paying for it so much to maintain it. free is free and its money well spent ;)
  20. Zinkeh Augur

From what I've seen so far there are like no monks, rogues, few warriors...etc
    There are way, way too many Rangers, Druids and way.....way.....WAY too many mages.