Aggro Meter and Pets

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Eager for RoF, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Eager for RoF New Member

I frequently group with a friend who plays a mage and, as a warrior, I see that his pet is always top in the aggro meter. I get that the pets pull huge aggro, but its useless information for me to see them as the primary aggro target. Is this the intended effect? I dont know how its going to work with raids, but it seems pets are going to be in the top slots of every mob, making the information totally useless. Is there a way to hide pets so the aggro meter will be more reflective of player rankings?
    NickDanger likes this.
  2. Magik Journeyman

Read one of the 1000 topics on pet aggro. Pets can't get aggro over a pc in melee range. Doesn't matter if the pc does 1pt damage at 10% life. The aggro meter doesn't really apply to pets. If you step into melee range, you will be top aggro always.
  3. Nergal Uniscorn Journeyman

You are only partially right, Magik. A pc will always be over a pet when in melee range. That doesn't mean that the pet isn't generating agro. If the agro meter just displays the raw amount of agro the mob has, a pet could be on top. But with a real tank the mob will be hitting the pc. But you wouldn't be able to tell how close you where to the real tanks agro if the pet is putting out more agro than the pc.
  4. Xnao Augur

This is a bug that was discussed in beta, Pets are ALWAYS second on aggro.
  5. NickDanger Elder

The point isn't that pets generate aggro or that a mob will ignore pet aggro and go for an in-range player instead. The point is that having the pets show up on the aggro meter really reduces the value of the information from the aggro meter. It makes it harder for the tanks and healers to know who else may be creeping up on the aggro scale.

On the other hand, leaving the pets off the aggro meter would make it less useful for ranged groups that use pets to tank.
    Mintalie likes this.
  6. Hatsee Augur

Yep.

Got smoked on a raid during a burn, I was around 30% on the meter so I thought I was safe, nope. I guess I was 30% of the pet.
    NickDanger likes this.
  7. Eager for RoF New Member

I wish people would read what I wrote. I know exactly how pet aggro works. Im saying the pet showing top on the aggro meter takes away from the usefulness of the aggro meter. Regardless of the mechanics, I dont need any information about pet aggro and what MY aggro is relative to the pet (which is what the main aggro meter shows).

I may not understand the aggro meter well, but if the pet has 100% aggro (the norm), then my aggro is a % of the pets aggro, and everyone else's aggro is also a % of the pets aggro. I shouldnt have to be trying to figure out if that rogue who is showing 53% on the group/raid aggro meter is close to my aggro or not. If I see that rogue/necro/wizy at 53% I should be safe knowing I have nearly double their aggro, not then having to check my aggro % and comparing...all while doing other MT stuff.

Again, I dont need to know everyone elses aggro relative to a pet, I need to know everyone elses aggro relative to ME. Pets shouldnt have their aggro show up on the aggro meter, it takes away the usefullness of the entire reason the aggro meter was implemented.
  8. Eager for RoF New Member

Ill give an example:

Doing a group mission, mage pet is 100% aggro (of course). Im watching group window and I see rogue at 45% aggro. Im safe, right? He disks and jumps to 57% aggro. Im safe, right? Nope, I see his HP bar start dropping and the HoTT window shows him getting beat down. Seeing him at 57% aggro suggests there is ZERO danger, which clearly is NOT the case as he pulled aggro by only jumping to 57%, which was apparently more aggro than I had compared to the mage pet.

Its not that pets need their aggro nerfed, we just need the aggro meter to display info from REAL PLAYERS, not pets.
    NickDanger likes this.
  9. Yraen_EMarr Journeyman

In that situation, you could compare your aggro percent to the rest of your group to make sure it is still higher.

The problem with your request is there are groups that actually use pets to tank, so a comparison to the pet's aggro is actually useful for them. What would be more useful would be a massive aggro reduction buff/AA toggle for pets .
  10. Belthil New Member

I think the best solution would be to implement a 'hide pets' toggle for the aggro meter. There are uses for both situations (i.e. knowing the pet's aggro, and hiding it) so I would rather have the choice given to the player rather than impose a one-size-fits-all solution.
    NickDanger likes this.
  11. Sanae New Member

Mages pets generate way to much agro regardless of the agrometer.
    I play War/Rog, when War gets knocked out of melee range, mob just follows the War.
    When my mage friend joins the group the pet is always on top of the agro list.
    When War gets knocked out of melee range instead of following the tank it starts hitting on the Rog.
    I know it is logic why it is doing that but I have no idea why a pet should generate so much agro in a group.

Sanae.
  12. Makavien Augur

This is a long standing problem with pets since uf at least where we tried to get it fixed. I am glad I get to see when a pet is 100% then i will use stuff like forceful attraction to move the npc where I need to. If it is the raging servant type pets which is what I have seen from boxing my mage then they need to fix these pets again like they tried to do in the beginning of voa. They used to and I think they still do taunt 100% of the time everytime it was available. It is good for mages when they solo to have this ability but they should of just gave them 2 raging servant lines like we suggested 1 that acts like normal and one that doesnt generate any hate at all.
  13. Daegun Augur

I agree. For people who kite (necros) or pet tank for groups (mages/necros), knowing where you are relative to the tanking pet or knowing where the pet is relative to the kiting YOU is a big help.
    Vouivre and NickDanger like this.
  14. NickDanger Elder

The "hide pets" toggle would be nice and seems the simplest solution.
  15. Piemastaj Augur

Our swarms did not need fixing, its called play your class better if they are impacting your play that much. It was an unnecessary nerf, and was brought about by tanks with bad aggro capabilities. Again not a pet issue, a player issue.

As to pets generating too much aggro, they do. Basically if the pet is under Frenzied Burnout or Virulent Talon they are on the top of the hatelist for the duration of the disc. Regular melee seems to keep the pet lower then the tank. The only area where this is a game impacting issue is with Knockbacks though. Other then that, it is just visually upsetting.
  16. Hatsee Augur

Your pets break the aggro meter, yes break it.

Please all mages that don't know what the problem is stop posting, you are making this into a problem that doesn't exist and any dev or coder reading this will probably be confused and I would rather they delete your class than leave their new feature broken.

Pets have an agro lead over tanks, this is fine. But what it does with the aggro meter is credit the tank with the agro while saying he's on top. In groups this is fine, you can still see the real numbers on the side of the group window. In raids this is bad as you will pass the tank and they wont see it coming, and neither will the person that just passed the tank as the tank shows as being far higher than they really are.

It's a simple visual problem with the aggro meter. Nothing to do with nerfing mages and you guys don't need to get defensive over nothing, it's annoying, stop it, please, stop it.
    Mykaylla and NickDanger like this.
  17. Fenthen aka Rath

Use the group window.

Knowing a pet has aggro means the tank can back-off if needed, and the pet will take over.
  18. Mintalie Augur

My pet is constantly at the top of the aggro meter during raids and I'm constantly being accused of having taunt on. (It isn't.) This surely can't be how the aggro meter was intended to work.
  19. Eckish Lorekeeper

Removing pets from the meter isn't the full solution. Pet aggro is still relevant, when you want to move a mob. If the pet is higher than the tank, then it will "root" the mob in place. Knowing that the pet is above the tank in aggro is useful in that case.

The toggle idea presented isn't a bad choice, but I think the better idea is to simply show more than one person on the aggro meter. Top 10 aggro would be a lot more useful in more situations, than simply toggling pets off and on.
  20. Astehroth Elder

Ability to turn off pet aggro on the aggro list might help but then there might be problems I havnt foreseen.
    NickDanger likes this.