Afk bots

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Momo4, Apr 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Cheating is cheating. Plus you said no one gets hurt... fail.
    Yimin and Geri_Petrovna like this.
  2. gotwar Gotcharms

...how has this argument gone on for 8 @#$%&%# pages?

How can anyone defend a literal robot by saying "they're just playing the game man! If db wanted to stop it theyd like, make a rule or cut snake heads or whatever!"

Roflmao at thinking you could eliminate an open source macro program in any way shape or form. Do you have any idea how hard this is to actually detect? Remember back in early 2000 when Daybreak, then Verant, tried to implement code to do this exact thing and the community backlash was so enormous they pulled the code within days? Besides that, as soon as a detection system was implemented it'd be bypassed in hours. Lrn your cheat history before you spew this garbage.

EQ is a game. It's meant to be played, like any game. Letting a program do it for you is not just against the rules, its robbing yourself of the play experience itself.

Afk killing in ancient zones with a merc up for slayer acheesements... That one I sorta understand. A bot army farming in TDS or TBM, no. This does not require any effort. You're lying to yourself if you think ten lines in a script to react to mob spawns that was lifted from someone else in the first place is innovative or acceptable.

Does it always affect others gameplay? No, but it does sometimes. Is it against the rules? Yes, definitely. Petition these wastes of ping and trololol your way into gaming heaven.

/endthread. Ty for using GotForum-Quest, and enjoy your day.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Caell like this.
  3. Aghinem Augur

I've used a Game Genie once long ago... I feel ashamed after reading this.

[IMG]
  4. gotwar Gotcharms

We are talking about two different things, Agh.

I'm referring specifically to the thread topic, AFK bots setup with macros so that their owners can walk away for hours at a time and not actually play the game.

You're referring to using cheats to enhance or modify your play experience while actually playing the game itself. I had a game genie, too, and even a game shark later on. They were neat. They're also not relevant to this topic.

But, in the interest of arguing for the sake of arguing, using that style of cheating is actually *worse* in EQ than afk botting. I'm not referring to simple at keyboard or afk macros here, I'm referencing cheats that directly modify the intended play experience via clever .dll injects and other "hacks" to gain an advantage. These are more akin to our beloved Game Genie. Examples of this would be things like nodly, instant zone warping, currency creation, etc. The creators of "that one program" dont support that kind of thing, its intended to be like an advanced [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] as a tool for boxers, and their use is absolutely detrimental to the game and its community.

I realize you were just trying to bring some lolz to the thread this morning, but some people really believe those kinds of malicious hacks are OK, and they're not. Forget robbing yourself of "the experience", anyone using cheats like these is breaking the game itself for their own benefit, and can f*** right off.
  5. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I think this is becoming my favorite thread of all time.

Do you have any videos of an afk bot hurting you or anybody else? I'd settle for even just one at this point. Something that would indicate this was in fact harming anybody and not just in your head.

I'm still curious to know how you guys are so sure that it's AFK botting and not just somebody at the keyboard who doesn't think your tell was worth responding to. Since EQ requires the same simple, repetitive steps for every encounter and camp, anybody "farming" or "grinding" is going to appear to be a robot.

How is an AFK botter any different than an NPC? You should be grateful that some player took the time to spice up the world of Norrath. Think of it like a GM event. You come across an AFK botter peacefully doing their thing, and YOU get to decide how you will react. Are they camping a boss you want? Now you get to decide if they are AFK or not. Now you get decide, if they aren't AFK, will you still steel the camp? If it's not a mob you are after, will you recognize that they are not interfering with you and move along peacefully? Or do you have so much hate inside that you will go out of your way to interfere? Do you enjoy slaughtering cute NPCs for fun?

The "haters" don't like people who have a different game experience than you do, even though it doesn't affect you. You hate that they can accomplish more than you can. You hate that not everybody enjoys grinding and farming like you do. You hate that not everybody is willing to take the longest route possible, like you did. You seem to hate the very idea of change. You call everything "cheating" despite there being no competition.

The funny thing is, for all the negativity this brings out in all of the "haters", I'll bet the people who do any of this stuff intentionally (afk bot, regular bot, boxing) do not give you a moment's thought.
  6. Hellboy007 Augur

I think its not about people being hurt by afk bots, but about others not being able to do so them self..
  7. code-zero Augur

@NameAlreadyInUse : You make a lot of allegations yourself that you don't seem to be concerned with backing up.

If someone is intending to camp <itemx> that only drops from particular named in a particular zone and every time they are able to play and go to that zone and see the exact same 6 characters in the same camp killing the PH and that named repeatedly while running glaringly obvious patterns they are indeed being hurt.

You may be shocked to learn this but a script running on botted characters can target a mob before a live player can see it and have it mostly dead before human reflexes can even begin to engage.

So what if they are farming more of the desired items and making them available in the bazaar or offering to trade them for krono? It's damaging to the game.
  8. Rhodz Augur

Doesnt matter much what players think about it given DBG just is not willing to do much beyond token enforcement.
    Want to blame someone then there ya go.
  9. RadarX Augur

This one has gone on for a bit and run off the rails a few times. If you see behavior you believe violates our community standards please report it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.