Advloot group default action changes inadvertently

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Jokskilove, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Jokskilove Palzerker

I've noticed a few issues with the advloot window. I did try the built-in search function and couldn't find one for this:

Setup: I am group leader. I have set the default action to <myself>
    - If a group member joins or leaves the group, the default action changes to the next/previous item in the list (I am not 100% sure on which order)
    - I have also seen this happen if I set everything to "leave on corpse", and a group member enters/leaves, the option changes to "enable free grab"

- If I get charmed, the default action is empty when charm wears off. Perhaps this is a different bug, or working as intended to avoid some bigger headaches

It's not the biggest bug in the world, but it is inconvenient enough that I get annoyed with it daily
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

All drop downs go by array index, so when the choices change, it will be whatever new choice is at that same index. When you add or remove people that alpha come before your name (or above the option you have selected), your selection will "move" up or down the list because it is in that same position.

When you are charmed (or feared) you are treated the same as being LD, so in essence being removed from play. All your states are cleared from your client, so when you re-initialize all the options are back to the default.
    Metanis likes this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

4. Jokskilove Palzerker

You are arguing that it works as designed. I have two comments to that:
    - Your explanation is not consistent with the fact that it also changed between enable free grab and leave on corpse. The group member names all appear later in the list.
    - If your design is confusing and annoying to your users, then maybe it's a bug in your design.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

Usability is different than bugs, maybe bad design but not bugged if the actions can still be performed. Geocities = bad usability.

I had thought the names were at the top of the list but verifying yes the names are at the end. I could not replicate this for "Leave on corpse" or "Enable free grab". Are you using default UI?
    1. I am group leader, I invite 2 people, full group with 3 mercs
    2. Open advloot, set the bottom "Set all to" to "Leave on corpse" (test 1) and "Enable free grab" (test 2)
    3. Disband one player
    4. Open advloot, both "Leave on corpse" (test 1) and "Enable free grab" (test 2) were still selected
    5. Reinvite the player
    6. Open adbloot, both "Leave on corpse" (test 1) and "Enable free grab" (test 2) were still selected

1. I am group leader, I invite 2 people, full group with 3 mercs, my name is last one in the list.
    2. Open advloot, my name is last one in the list, set bottom "Set all to" to "Soulbanshee"
    3. Disband one player
    4. Open advloot, the bottom selection is cleared (expected, there was no item after my name to keep selected)
    5. My name is last one in the list, set bottom "Set all to" to "Soulbanshee"
    6. Reinvite the player
    7. Open advloot, the next persons name is selected

List array indexing:
    [0] Need
    [1] Greed
    [2] No
    <skipping a bunch>
    [12] Player 2 (alpha sort before me)
    [13] Player 1 (me)

Selected index 13 is saved as the selection, player 3 is invited.
    List array indexing:
    [0] Need
    [1] Greed
    [2] No
    <skipping a bunch>
    [12] Player 3 (first alpha sort)
    [13] Player 2 (second alpha sort)
    [14] Player 1 (me)

Selected index 13 is still saved as the selection, but now that the list has been re-indexed it now displays Player 2. Yes, bad usability, bug no. Advloot is already a memory hog as it is, depending on how this was coded its either going to be impossible to track by display instead of index, or its going to impose too much of additional processing to make it worth it. It's a lot easier and simpler and efficient to store and handle things by array indexing than the display of the object it represents.
  6. Crak6 New Member

You sound like a bad programmer trying to explain why their bugs are not bugs. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, ... its a duck.

Explaining HOW the bug works does not make it no less of a bug. Charm is not supposed to reset advanced group loot because of a SelectedIndexChanged event firing.

But... in general, charm messes everything up. Shrink effect goes away. Advanced looting gets completely messed up.

In order to fix some of it, autofollow should probably be disabled as soon as charm lands.
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

They have explained it before, charm piggybacks on the same logic when you LD (as you can also see charmed players are marked LD next to their name), which removes the character from the world. The devs in the same explanation have stated that they would like to have different logic handle LD, charm, and fear but until it's something that they can take care of, its a limitation of the current system. When a character is removed from the world, the data is going to be reset. As this is the expected way the current systems work, its a problem of usability not a bug.