Advice Playing an Enchanter

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Runcible, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Runcible Journeyman

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are well and safe. Was wondering if any folks who play enchanters could offer me some advice or point me in the right direction.

I recently acquired access to a friends 115 enchanter who I'm currently using as a second toon to box with my main 115 mage. Unfortunately, my friend has a lot of stuff going on in his personal life and I just dont feel comfortable asking him a bunch of questions about the game right now.

Playing a mage (no disrespect to the mages out there) isnt rocket surgery. Buff, sick pet on X mob, malaise, sick swarm pets on said mob, nuke mob/heal pet, hand out mod rods and thats about it (or at least thats how I play and it seems to work out). Playing an Enchanter is a totally different ball game and Im seriously struggling with it. Here is my scenerio:

My box team is currently camped out in the mirror room on the 7th floor of ToFS. I really want that spare key to the mirror room as weasling my way through 7 floors of ToFS is a huge pita. So for those that arent aware, just outside the mirror room are two lvl 115 shades. In the next room after that are two shades and either the spare key placeholder or the spare key mob which is lvl 119.

Ive been "practicing" with the enchanter trying to single pull those two shades. I just cant do it. Ive tried calming them and then toshing one (both come), if tried calming one and banishing the other (both come), if tried the ae banishment (both come), if tried calming then using the placeable aura to lessen enemies helping each other (this works until the aura wears off then the other one comes), i seriously just dont know how to single pull a mob. If i cant do it with 2 shades, then when i go to try and grab the key holder (3 total mobs) its going to be a nightmare. Just not sure what else to do. I've read tons of posts on how to pull with an enchanter and just havent been able to figure it out yet. I dont mind dying, even over and over, to get some skills (as ive camped a toon with a merc cleric up there so ive always got a rez), but if Im not practicing the right thing, im never going to get better.

Thanks for any advice you all have. I realize im trying to learn to drive a race car thats already halfway through the race, but im determined to do it. Worst case, when things calm down with my friend, ill have him log on and show me, but its really got me frustrated right now.

Take care everyone.

One note, my box team is currently me switching between two pcs (im not running any software) so that isnt helping things as im fairly inept at multitasking this way.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

This would be better placed in the Class Forums - Caster section. Also, ask questions in your Enchanter server channel ... people do still autosubscribe to those and you can get some decent advice there. People generally like to help others in the game.

But I think almost everyone who has played an enchanter would have this first question for you ...

why are you trying to single pull mobs as an enchanter?

You have mezz abilities ... it's okay to use them.

P.S. If you try to pull mobs to the mirror room from the key ph room, you can get 5 mobs ... the two familiars on the sides will add most of the time.
  3. Qbert Gallifreyan

Also, probably not a great idea advertising account sharing/selling whatever, as it is against the rules.
    Andarriel and CatsPaws like this.
  4. Buster_Shruggs Augur

I would edit your post, if you're still able for what Qbert mentioned...

Enchanters are a blast, I would go to a lower level zone and safely practice with your spell line up.
  5. Zamiam Augur

aye , as an enchanter just pull em all !!! MAHAHAHA and MEZ ..

you could also try mezzing the 1 which will pull the other to you then either keep mezzing the one or memblur it and see if it stays put .. however they could be linked in which case it will eventually come either way .. best thing is to bring both and mez or 3,4,5 ..
  6. aozs Augur

As others have mentioned, mez would be the easiest. You can mez one and let the other one come in and kill it, while either keeping the mezzed one mezzed or memblur it. Or mez both on pull, or pull both then mez (this can be riskier because they might hit something before getting cc'd).

If they are mez immune but rootable, Beguiler's Directed Banishment would handle it. It will punt the mob whichever way you're facing, root it, then memblur after a few seconds. So just aim, punt, and fight the one that agro'd.

You can also try pulling with charm if they're charmable.

For mobs immune to root/mez/charm, it's about creating space then fading. Whether that's by snaring one and running away, punting one, or pulling one in. SKs and bards are great at this, enchanter can pull it off but it's a bit trickier and their fade ability (Self Stasis) has a longer cd. There might be tricks around punting and blurring as well but I've never had to really do enchanter pulling so I don't know for sure.