Advice choosing Melee class: Ranger vs. Beastlord

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Lovestar, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Brohg Augur

Fluster+Bluster are usable together, they don't share timer. Having two of that is much more than twice as good as having one.
  2. Quatr Augur

Well, there you go, another inflection point! :)
  3. Borek-VS Augur

I'm sure I recall the ranger pulling trick in SoD, too, which would make it 85.

Yes, there are various different points that cause a change of role, like 62 for bards (Fade), when the promised heals arrive for priests, and so on. Better summoned nukes and swarm pets for mages, BDB for enchanters, Bloom for necros, werewolf and FD for beastlords... I'm sure there are others.
    Yther likes this.
  4. Iila Augur

85 is a major changing point, the UF+SoD spell lines are really important for most classes. Add in the HoT spells picked up on the way to 90, and most classes are going to keep roughly the same playstyles and spell sets to max level.
  5. Ratbo Peep Augur

The more we look at this.... the more my 1st post to this thread was spot on.
    One of those heroic toons could have played 85-90 by now.....
    -Rat
  6. Brohg Augur

The point of the oooooooriginal bet (like two months ago) was to level 1-105, OP has been on a search since then for the most appealing class to do that on.
  7. Ratbo Peep Augur

Yes... and in that time frame, could have played every class from 85-95 and picked one to start off with.
    -Rat
  8. Lovestar Augur

Well, I appreciate all the feedback (as always). I've settled into duo'ing Shadow Knight + Shaman, of all things, based on @Ultrazen's suggestions.

I love Ranger, but I missed the tanky feeling of Warrior too much. And I love Warrior, but then I miss the creative/toolbox feeling of Ranger.

So I decided to try SHD again (I got scared away from PAL / SHD in my tank thread, when Warriors started bragging about how much tougher they are), and I actually love it — SHD feels flexible and creative like RNG, but also tough and tanky like WAR. Best of both worlds, for me anyway.

I've added in the SHM so I'm not stuck in the Catch-22 of: "Do I add a Healer merc, and kill sloooooow, or a Wizard merc, but be under a lot of Lifetap pressure?" The SHM gives me enough controlled backup heals/cures (plus tons of other utility) to feel comfy, and 1-2 Wizard Mercs pretty much end any DPS complaints.

As far as being forced to always Tank in player groups — oh, well. We'll see what happens. SHD's good at holding aggro even if you're half-asleep anyway, right? :p
  9. Mokai Journeyman

Your doing the same thing I have been doing the past year or so where i have tried 2 box and 3 box. I have found out the best method for finding the class is to use the heroics. I try one and then if i don't like it I delete it. This frees up the slot so I can make another to try. I have gone through all the classes with my goal to find the one that's the most exciting to play that I don't have to box another account with and if i can go completely solo that's a bonus. The class I have the most fun on is Paladin and it's also the class I would have never dreamed having this much fun on. It's also the last class I have "tested". The reason i find it so much fun is that I can single pull and solo yellows (undead) at 85. I'm not using any mercenaries and the xp really moves along. Last couple days I have almost reached 88. :)

My method is an extreme method as I use my other 2 accounts heroics to fully buff my Paladin and I'm also on FV where I can fully group gear my guy with Rustic and good augs at 85. So soloing yellows may not be an option on the other servers. I just wanted to share what I'm doing as it's identical to what your going through now just that I'm one year ahead of you. :)
  10. Cenki Journeyman

I picked my class too finally. I went beastlord. I decided that I really like support instead of healing, but also being able to be meaty and deal damage too. hopefully beasts dont suck at endgame :p I also might make a bard alt sometime. I enjoyed the supports most.
    PCSS likes this.
  11. Cenki Journeyman

So i'm back to tell you that Beastlord is amazing! at level 71 now and finally worked on getting my weapon and defensive skills maxed, the entire class changed from early on. I was worried Beastlord's personal damage would be garbage, but they really changed how it works at that point, and with awesome claw attacks, and actually being given double attacks and flurrys of damage, you don't feel like a slave to your pet. He's just there with me as my buddy and I carve up all the monsters like butter. I do wish I had track in the 30's when I started doing Franklins quests and couldn't find mobs I wanted, but its not so bad with online resources. I did go all access for autogrant, and its given me like 1800 free AA's by level 71 so far. I really just wanted to stop in and tell you beastlord rocks after the hell levels. It was such a bad class at early levels because they were weak and lack of double attack and the pet summons were way too low level after the 20's. It changes. I'm Cenki on Rathe btw if you ever pick a class for good. I might make an Alt bard because the supporty stuff is fun to me, but beast has enough support flavor for me
    PCSS likes this.