Advanced Loot System Guide/Walkthrough

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by PathToEternity, May 14, 2017.

1. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Lot's of discussion lately about the advanced loot system. A lot of players are coming over from P99 or who haven't otherwise played since the system debuted, and even with Agnarr still 2 weeks away there's controversy on the boards about whether it's good or not, with some even asking for it's removal.

A couple weeks back I started to get requests for a guide on it, and it's finally complete. This is really designed for the player who has never used it before, so if you're a veteran and don't learn anything that's OK :) Hopefully newer players find this very helpful though.

Aegir, Jenarie, Misaligned and 6 others like this.
  2. Dulu Augur

Thank you so much for your time and effort. I'm about to watch the guide now.

With that said, a MMO loot system that needs a 20 minute tutorial is probably not intuitive enough.

Remove advanced loot.
    Coder Joe and BringBackSWG like this.
  3. Kahna Augur

While it as nice of him to make this for all the returning and p99 players the system is just fine. Thousands of players managed to figure it out without a 20 min tutorial, and I am prety sure most of the returning folks would have followed suit. It's not getting removed. Learn to love it, it's here to stay.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  4. Dulu Augur

Just like the new NPC models were here to stay?
    BringBackSWG likes this.
  5. Rhodz Augur

Aesthetics do not equal game play in importance.
    I hate the old models but it is of little importance so the four days the dev admits was pretty much wasted and wont be repeated is of no real concern.
    I want AdvLoot and I want it working well, perfect in fact. That is a game play issue.
  6. Kahna Augur

Yeah, because changing around some models is totally the same as removing a major QoL upgrade, and will have exactly the same player reaction/impact on gameplay.
  7. Febb Augur

Great video!

Dulu, if they removed it, people on both the progression servers and live servers would riot in the streets. Removing that and changing some models around are apples and oranges in comparison.
  8. Mabbu #1 New Member

10/10 Troll lol...he's going to bait you all.
  9. Eels! The Musical New Member

Excellent! I was wondering how it looked/worked in a group. I'm no longer afraid to be assigned as a master looter.
  10. BringBackSWG New Member

Thanks for the video. I was about 70% already there understanding the advanced loot system just through playing around on Phinny but this got me the rest of the way.
    Ming Tee likes this.
  11. Soon Augur

Is that you in the video? Erasmus?
  12. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

The one and only~! Most people are initially shocked that I'm so good looking, but it really is me.
    Soon likes this.
  13. Misaligned Augur

I said it once already on reddit and I'll say it here again: this is excellent. Thank you!
  14. Flat Toad Elder

Heh.Basic truths re AdvLoot:
    (A) Initial resistance was largely related to Devs cramming it down our throats by injecting it into game in the "ON" state, rather than giving players the option of deciding for themselves whether to try it or not.
    (B) It continues to discourage grouping by making it difficult for users and non-users to readily distribute mob drops without incessant "tinkering"
    (C) The overall experience is similar to developing a wine "tongue": a steep learning curve and methodology which, in the end, leaves one wistfully thinking "if only it tasted as good as it looks"
    ***Then again, it DOES offer devotees a certain frathouse snob appeal..Hence, it will always have fans.
  15. MaxTheLion Augur

(A) You can turn it off at any time so you can decide whether to try it or not.
    (B) You can click Always Need / Always Greed once per item ID and it'll always roll that way on the item. Less hassle than determining who loots an NPC corpse every time something dies. Master looter also clicks Auto Roll on every loot that drops and never has to worry about it again.
    (C) You provided nothing but incorrect information and negativity. Thanks for the Necro of a six month old thread for no real purpose.
    Skuz and Chatoyan like this.
  16. snailish Augur

I still fail to see (and maybe I am just missing out on a part of how it actually works. The issue may well be me) the need for both need and greed settings, as it causes issues in groups either way:

I end up in a group in a place I have been before and they want to roll need on everything, meanwhile I have all my saves as greed. Or the reverse. No option = no drama over the choice. I want it if I win the roll or I pass on the chance to win it.

Soloing, advloot is pure win, even for a person like me that still hasn't properly figured it out.
    Nolrog likes this.
  17. Nolrog Augur

If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple enough. But there's no reason to remove it from everyone else because you don't choose to use it.
    Celithan likes this.
  18. Aegir Augur

Can a moderator Sticky this? This is awesome. good job!
  19. Scorrpio Augur

IMHO, "Always Need" setting is not needed. In group or raid setting, 'Need' should be on individual item basis.
  20. Shanarias Augur

I don't know how this ended up "recent", but I am glad it did. Thanks.